Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 31179 times)

Offline froggiebecky

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2013, 03:37:25 pm »
Since you asked about it Bob, here's the chord chart I put together for myself.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2bz1UjXzPp_cU1FNTdZQXJ0QW8/edit

I've highlighted anything below 40 changes/min in red (to work on), anything in the 50s as yellow, and 60 or over in green. Helps me see at a glance what's sucking (Barre A), and what's pretty good (Em).  some are crap because I've never done that particular switch, and it's just a baseline. Interestingly, I find I'm also not as good in the morning as I am in the afternoon or evening, when my fingers and brain have warmed up a bit!

Offline seek

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2014, 07:20:02 am »
Hey all,

How long did it take you to complete the beginner course? What was your method?

I am probably a bit older than most of you (maybe not), 34 and picked up a guitar for the 1st time exactly 2 months ago (electric) and as soon as I got home typed "how to play guitar" or something similar into youtube and (luckily) clicked one of justins videos. Have basically been only doing his course exclusively. Outside of learning a few super easy intro riffs (la bamba, beat it, one, etc).

When I 1st started this course, I was going slow and attempting to master each stage. Then just started blowing through it since I felt the more my brain knew, the better. Right now at the middle of stage 8 (been chunka chunka'n it for the past couple days). Will probably finish stage 9 tomorrow or day after and then spend a considerable amount of time going back and learning the songs in the stages. I haven't looked at a song since stage 3. But I do practice random chord progressions that I think sound cool.

Have also been reading a bit about music theory on the side as of a few days ago.

My brain knows MUCH more than my fingers / hands at this point. Which is OK, since I have loads to practice.

I really don't follow his practice schedule, but basically do the same in my style of format.

Remember, I have only been playing for 2 months, and nobody in my circle of friends plays guitar. So any input would be great. Or if you want to share your story of how you have been learning, and how its been working for you.

Thanks!

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13:00 am »
2 months for the whole BC is too quick. You need time to bed in the techniques and make the milestone targets, or trying to play songs with those techniques will be pointless, you won't be able to get through them. It takes as long as it takes, which is different for everyone, but no one can do it properly in 8 weeks.

I'd strongly suggest following Justin;s schedules and milestones til your own ability allows you to judge better.

I took 9 months, but took my time and practised every day for whatever time I had. I still think I'd have skipped too much taking 6 months.

Online Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2014, 08:15:19 am »
Hi Seek and good to see you joining the community. 43 here and I've been playing since last November using Justin's course exclusively. I'm only on stage 6 but in all honesty I have been consolidating as I've gone along. I started out on Acoustic and have acquired an electric in the last month. I still do virtually all of my practice on Acoustic as I think it's the best way to make sure my playing really is tight. However the electric is more forgiving and I do like playing songs on that more than the acoustic.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule for completing Justins course. There are plenty of bits in the lessons that suggests Justin sees it as about a 9 month course but you'll see plenty who do the course quickly (and consolidate after) and those that take significantly longer but are happy to do so because it suits them. Part of it I guess is down to your natural ability and how quickly you pick things up.

Playing songs IMHO is the acid test on how well you've progressed on the course. If you can put your techniques into practice and deliver a half decent attempt at a song(s) for that stage then you're going in the right direction at the right pace. I've been trying to do that and it's been a good indicator to me about when I need to practice more. That said it doesn't stop me looking ahead and learning bits and pieces of future lessons even if it's not part of my core practice.  Practice wise I tend to do virtually every day for about an hour mixing it between Justin's practice schedule and song practice.

Keep going and take a look in the "videos and audio of you playing" as there are some good posts there to give you a feel for how you yourself are progressing against others.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline seek

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2014, 08:58:33 am »
Oh, no doubt I won't be done with the course. I am sure I will be practicing those techniques for some time. Months, probably years.  Well until I can complete his "final exam" test at least.

Basically I just slammed myself with tons of material. And then can go back and perfect them.

I think a few of the things I came across early will surely help progress faster.

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 09:25:37 am »
Hi seek,

Welcome! We're roughly the same age.

I'm currently consolidating the beginner's course. I started in September last year while I was on maternity leave, so had quite a lot of time to practice when my baby was napping (1-2 hours per day). I followed Justin's practice schedule somewhat religiously, and if I got all the way through would start again ;) I finished the course at the end of January, so that was about 4 months. However, I think I was aided by the fact I have a bit of a musical background in that I played violin all the way through my childhood until I finished school and also played classical guitar for a couple of years in high school. So I think that may have given me a bit of a head start/some muscle memory etc. That said, since I've been back at work I have a lot less time to practice and I'm still a good few weeks off having finished my 10 songs up to a decent standard (I can do everything else in the consolidation list).

I post along with Rossco in the beginners songbook thread. I find recording myself and listening to the other beginners really inspiring - you should work on some songs and come join us :)

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:04 am »
Your progress will depend on your aptitude and on the amount of time you spend working on the course. Also, you may find it useful to look ahead and see where you're going. This said, two months to breeze through to stage 8 does seem a little too fast. And if you think you can master a stage in two days, you may well be kidding yourself.

Look at the check lists at the end of each stage, and make sure that you are actually following Justin's script. He's put a lot of thought and experience into designing this course, he's seen lots of students. So although he may not be able to tailor the class to your specific needs, it's likely that keeping to the progression he has mapped out will do you more good than rushing ahead. There have been several people on this list who have admitted that they went through the Beginners' Course too quickly, and had to come back to do it again before they could really follow the Intermediate Course.

I've been on the BC since October, and I'm looking at stage 8, while continually consolidating what went before. I doubt I'll feel ready to go on to the next course until the end of this year or the beginning of next. Given I'm twice your age, I've got good reasons to want to move fast!

Offline xland

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 09:49:28 am »
Hi Seek, welcome to the forum.  I started just shy of 2 months ago and I just started Stage 3 this week.  So basically I am giving myself about one month per stage to become comfortable with all of the new material.  I could probably move ahead a little quicker but it's by choice that I spend time becoming as proficient as I can with the new chords and chord changes.  It's not until I feel that I have met all of Justin's criteria for moving to the next stage that I actually move on. 

I practice 30-60 minutes per day during the work week and usually 60+ minutes/day on the weekends when I have more time.  Everybody learns at a different pace and I really struggled mightily when I first started but things have become a little easier to learn as the days and weeks have passed.  That doesn't mean that I am remotely "good" at the new material but it does come easier for me to play the new chords, and it's probably due to my fingers becoming a little more used to the odd positions and shapes that I am now asking them to do that I never did before, and I am 45 years old.  It was really, really foreign to me to have my fingers try and make the shape of the A, E and D chords, use my finger tips to push the strings down and of course just getting used to the soreness of my fingers that came with just learning to play on a steel string guitar.

I don't necessarily follow Justin's practice routine religiously, he allows you to make a determination of which chord progressions you should work on so I will change that up a bit at times to work on the chords and chord progressions that give me the most trouble (D chord).

Anyway, I look at it as it is not a race, it's a marathon and I don't have a specific date that I need to be able to play complicated songs or anything.  So I take my time and although it can get a little boring at times to do the same thing over and over and over again I do find that I am rewarded when I can make those chord changes well and do it at a decent pace, it's very gratifying to see that I am improving. 

Two months ago I NEVER thought that I'd be able to do what I can now.  Again, I have a lot to learn and I am far from being a good guitar player but there is little doubt that by taking my time I have made progress by leaps and bounds from where I was when I began.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!!
Started my guitar journey May 9, 2014
Yamaha FG700S

Offline de_conne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:02 am »
Hi Seek,

Interesting topic here.  8)

I started the BC mid January 2014 and finished the BC end of may. I think it took me 5 months (I have some guitar background), but I learned a lot of the Beginners Songs as I went on and recorded them like many of the people posting here. Since then I am consolidating, doing some Stage 9 songs, till I feel ready to move to the more advanced course.

I totally agree with everyone. You should post recordings of your progress on the forum. Gives you really an Idea of where you stand. And let's be honest, after 2 months in you haven't finished the course. You just have finished watching all of Justin's video's  8).

After all, why are you learning guitar? To play music.

Grtz!
de_conne
BC started Jan 2014, currently at Blues Course
Guitars: Yamaha Pacifica 112 J YNS,Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plutop Pro Cherry Sunburst Heritage,Seagull Coastline Cedar Folk
Amp: Fender Mustang III v2
https://soundcloud.com/de_conne

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:37 am »
I started the BC in early January 2013(See sig) Having never even picked up a instrument.

It took me until about early October to consolidate the BC, so 10 months.

I then messed around for 3 months and learnt before I started the Intermediate Course on NYD. I'm currently on stage 4.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 308
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »
It's not how fast you do it.... it's how well you do it.

Evey day you can make a chord or a note play more smoothly, with less effort and with better sound quality you are basically perfecting the beginner course.

TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 02:18:17 pm »
Evey day you can make a chord or a note play more smoothly, with less effort and with better sound quality

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/EX-003-QualityNotes.php

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »
Ok, so I'll be the slow poke here I guess. I started learning guitar from ground zero almost two years ago. I am STILL finishing Justin's Beginners course (stage 8/9 player). I have three small children so I have zero free time and squeeze in most of my practice in my car on lunch break 4 days a week. Since I don't really have a musical background I probably am taking longer than the rest to finish but I also want to make sure that I know it before proceeding.

Like Rossco, de_conne, etc. I've been posting some recordings and use it as the measuring stick for where I am.

Last night we had a beach bonfire and I managed to play and sing 10 songs so...I guess I can claim that :)

Just remember what your goals are and aim there. I would think for most of us is to play (and some of us sing) our favorite tunes. Some have much higher aspirations.  Saying you "finished" an online course and now you are a certified guitar player probably isn't what you are aiming for.

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:17 pm »
I have been playing since December 2013. I did get up to Stage 7 but had about a month where I didn't have the motivation to start anything, and I wasn't doing the JUSTIN training exercises either. I spent 5 weeks just on the music theory side of things as I decided I wanted to pass the ABRSM Grade 5 music theory test (still awaiting my results!).
Last week I decided to start from scratch again and do the JUSTIN training. So I am currently back at stage 1! My aim is to finish the beginners course by the end of this year.
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline seek

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2014, 04:22:53 pm »
I think you guys are overlooking, or misunderstanding the majority of my post.

I never did say I completed the course in 2 months. Yes, I will have watched all the videos in around a 2 month period. But not mastered. Far from it.

At which time I will go back and start working on his theory based songs.

I think everyone learns in their own way. And was wondering how everyone else was doing it. At the same time, I would think you would be really limiting yourself by playing a guitar every day for 4 months and having no clue what notes you are playing or why. Which is taught in stage 7. Or having a proper guitar setup which is taught in stage 6. Or knowing the pentatonic scale. But again, some of that theory could be too intense for a younger individual. So I do understand he had to make a program generalized for everyone. But that is exactly why I am learning on my own and not paying a teacher. I would rather learn what I what on my terms.

Another great example would be power cords. Power chords 1, 2 and shift should all be learned in the same go, or at least few days. Yet they are 3 stages apart.

But that is just how am going about it. Everyone has their own learning styles. And as we are basically teaching ourselves, that is exactly what I am doing :)

In reality at his song level, or checklists I am probably at stage 3ish at the 2 month mark. But know skills past stage 3. One last example would be the 12 bars blues and variations lessons. Great lessons. Super fun and cool to play. Even someone that picked up a guitar 2 weeks ago could learn those. Yet they are in the final 2 stages.

Finally, looking at his final "consolidation test". I would guess I am 6+ months away from. Learning songs is where all the learning occurs. At least for me. Breezing through all the beginner course videos will only give me a stronger foundation when I go back and learn his songs and / or other songs I want to learn.

Thanks for the input. I do have a good feeling that many people would have done it this way. While some following the course religiously. And was curious.

Once I can get a proper mic, will definitely get some songs up.

Thanks again.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App