Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 33698 times)

Offline Fozjg

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »
I think I worked through the 9 stages in about 10 months and around 280 hours. Roughly 1 hour of practice on average a day.  Keep in mind I did say "worked through" I certainly hadn't mastered it at all. The unfortunate part is that I'm still at the level as I haven't put any focused practice in since then. I know people say don't worry about the time just enjoy the process but it's nice to know if you put the time in you will reap the benefits.

Offline JulieSun

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 11:57:18 am »
Hello Blaze!

Have a warm welcome and cool that you're starting to play!
I'm much of a beginner myself really so I can only give you as much advice that I learned from others..

First of all, I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, but listening is really important, though your scores decreasing in percentage by the time you progress in the book makes sense.

The lessons are designed to work up your level gradually, learning is going gradually aswell... don't mind that. It's looking good so far :)

If you feel like you are ready to proceed, just proceed. But if you're noticing you're having any complications because you moved onto the next stage, just take a step back and practise some more from the earlier stages, or take it slowly in the new stage. I personally don't think it's bad to look at higher level stages when you're still beginner.

For me it's motivating to listen and watch those lessons, knowing that I am not ready for them. It drives me to work on those things I find boring or that seem too repetitive. It also gives me a hint of why I have to learn other skills first if the material is too difficult, whenever I am that stubborn to still try them out.

Overall, keep on repeating the previous stages/exercises and playing songs from there, it will help you improve so I'd recommend to not stop doing them!! (even if they seem too easy for you)

Transcribing songs is also very good for your aural skills, you might want to look up that section on the site aswell. Might help you improve double time!

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TR-000-Transcribing.php

Hope this helps you making your mind up.

Best of luck!

JS

Offline Neverendr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • Guitar Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 10:15:17 am »
I haven't gone through the courses,  though I have learned a few songs, very easily due to the excellent instruction, I might add.   I've been playing for a very long time, 25-ish years,  and I can honestly tell you that I *still* learn something new on a weekly basis.  That's one of the great things about guitar - you can learn a little and play a lot of songs,  you can learn a ton and play a lot more songs,  but it seems that one never stops learning!

For reference, just to compare my time against Justin's courses,  I'm sure it took me a LOT longer.  Probably 18 months of lessons to get to the point that I knew enough to be comfortable playing in front of people.  At least 3 or 4 years before I would have dared to call myself "advanced".  Granted, this was before the internet. :)
2012 Taylor 816CE; 2009 Taylor 914CE; 2010 Taylor 916CE; 2002 Martin 000C16RGTE; 2011 Martin D35; 2012 Martin M-36; 1999 PRS C22; 2011 PRS 513;  2013 PRS HB2;  More other stuff than I care to mention..

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 58
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:03 pm »
It's worth noting that not everyone starts the BC as a total beginner. A huge problem for total beginners is getting control of the fingers in their fretting hand.

There's plenty of people who come to Justin's courses having a basic level of guitar experience. For my own part, I started playing guitar in my 40s having briefly been taught classical guitar for about 6 months at the age of 10, and having picked up and messed with other people's guitars very occasionally in the intervening period.

I was surprised how much I remembered, and many of the fretting hand movements and the muscle control were still there. I have seen others starting guitar for the first time, and even fretting very basic chords is a massive challenge, and they are often frustrated by the lack of control they have over their fingers; it's almost as if their hand doesn't belong to them.

I think we all experience that occasionally even with a lot of experience; a new chord will come along with a challenging fingering and, somehow one finger refuses to obey simple instructions!

But I think someone with even quite a small amount of guitar playing history will have a significant advantage over someone who hasn't. I reckon this could make the difference of 10-20 hours.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut SE, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5, Vox Pathfinder 15R, Roland Cube 20X
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline grebber

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:16 am »
Hi there.
I'm on stage 1 of the beginners course and so far I'm pretty happy with working on the 3 chords thats in it.
being that i have only been doing it for just under a week i still have problems going from one chord to the next but its going ok. working on 2 songs as well and i have my good days and bad days with them. obviously when i can change chords better they will be better as well
anyways im curious how long you have stayed on each stage.
seems like the this course suggests the beginners course last around 1 year. give or take a few months depending on each persons abilities. going with a year that means i should be in stage 1 for a month or more. thinking of it this way i dont feel so bad that i feel im going slow. my mind understands whats going on but the hands still are slow and stubborn. being new i understand tho.
so how long about was it for you going through your stages.
thanks
grebber

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 02:49:56 am »
Well, Grebber it varies on how much songs in a stage I want to learn before I move on, and how much of a firm understanding I have with the stage. Also, Grebber do not rush! Trust me on this I rushed through the beginners course, and only learned the chords I never really paid any attention to the other things in it. I had to suffer from this mistake. Well not really but I had to go back and review every single stage till  I understood what was going on, with rhythms and everything. Look all i'm saying is do not rush without a good understanding of the basics then you will not go far just take your time on each stage Learn at least 2-3 songs a stage. Trust me on, this learning songs really helps with your technique timing pretty much everything and it also builds your song repertoire. And, when you get deeper in the stages you can just go back and modify the song to your liking maybe with the chuck a chucka rhythm or different strumming patterns, anything pretty much. Just take your time it's not a race, and it's also like a mountain climb, marathon it's about perseverance, patience dude there's no rush. By the way i'm 11 months into my guitar journey, and i'm only on stage 5 lol i'm very close to moving to stage 6, but I really want to get the folsom blues to a good standard before I move on. I start reviewing the beginner course on my 7th month if I can remember correctly so I'd say it took me about a good 3 months to get to stage 5.
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Offline countryguy87

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 03:16:48 am »
I believe it's important to get a good grasp of everything Justin has in the begginers course, I also believe that there are people out there who benefit from other methods of learning as well.  The most important part in my opinion is staying interested every day and having fun, do things around the course which incorporate that (learning songs YOU like is a big part of that).

Offline Curlyfeet

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 09:54:44 pm »
I've read posts on here where people report they have done the whole beginners course in 3 months, I'm at the other end of the scale as I'm on stage 7 after 16 months.

I think it really is an everyone's different/how long is a piece of string course  :)

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 10:29:35 pm »
I've read posts on here where people report they have done the whole beginners course in 3 months, I'm at the other end of the scale as I'm on stage 7 after 16 months.

I think it really is an everyone's different/how long is a piece of string course  :)

Remember that some people may have had lessons when they were a kid and may not have played for a while. A lot will come back to them pretty quickly and they may go through the initial stages of the course pretty quickly. Some people may be able to fit in an hour's practice a day, every day, and some only 20 mins 3 times a week.

Near the end of Justin's Beginner's Course book, he has the tab for the Xmas song, 'Silent Night' and says that the song is a good goal to be able to achieve 'within a year'. Implying that the Beginner's Course is designed to be a 12 month course, there or thereabouts, practicing between 20 and 50 mins a day. I suppose that's an average based on his years of teaching but it's not set in stone.

Some people who see others take longer might look upon them as slow learners, while if they see someone finish the course quicker than they did they assume the person was rushing. Fact it, we're not all the same, physically or mentally and all have different circumstances so comparing to other people is probably a waste of time.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline froggiebecky

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 09:50:59 am »
Hi Everyone!
I'm working my way through the course, correcting sloppy learning on my part, and filling in holes in my knowledge. I have a question. For those of you that went through the course, did you stay at stage 5 until you got all the open chord changes up to 60/min? or did you move on after you'd done a few (and otherwise had the lessons well in hand)? I was just thinking that I'd be hanging out at these songs for quite a while if I wait around to get those stray open chord changes up to 60. 

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 12:07:31 pm »
I keep a note of my one-minute changes in a spreadsheet and sort them from slowest to fastest.  As Justin says, only practice what you can't do not what you can do.  There is no point spending time on practising E to Em for example, which you can probably do at 120/min.  So I only practice the one-minute changes on the 5 slowest changes.  I suggest doing 5, as it probably gets a bit boring to do more than that in one session.  As you get better with those 5, then other changes will become  the slowest in your list and you can work on those.   I still do this routine if I come across difficult chord changes in a song.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 12:59:10 pm »
Like Gareth, I have a spread sheet. I work on ten changes in any one day : three that are near but not yet at 60, three that I can only do very slowly, and four that are somewhere in between but that are linked to one of the songs I'm working on. As they reach 60, they are crossed off and replaced by others.

In fact, I have recently slowed down on most of the changes. As my ears have got sharper, I notice errors that I did not notice before, and now I'm doing my best to go for zero mistakes, as I feel I was picking up bad habits by going too fast. I feel happier with the way I'm doing it now, even if it's taking far longer.

Offline Bobke

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Belgium
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2013, 03:22:11 pm »

Gareth51: Would you be so kind as to post the spreadsheet here, please?
I think it is a very good idea. Would like to use it too.
Thanks in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:19:15 am by close2u »

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2013, 04:22:52 pm »
I'm on stage 5 now and am working to cross off all of the changes before moving on. However,  I've brought forward a couple of bits from stage 6 (f chord and old faithful strumming). I'm getting exponentially faster at crossing them off. It should only be a couple more weeks.  I hope to play for many years to comepso no issue to stay on this stage for a while.

Offline froggiebecky

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2013, 12:13:41 am »
This spreadsheet idea sounds like a good one. I've never gone through the entire chart and tried them all. My current plan involved starting with 1 that was giving me trouble in a song (E-B7), and then picking 4 others at random. When one gets to 60, cross it off and try another. I might sit down and do a batch of 10 tomorrow, just to see where they all are.

I like your idea, pip, of bringing the F chord forward. I've been playing a while, and pretty much have it already. I've been doing old faithful strumming for a while. Maybe I'll pull out some theory to keep me occupied while I"m also doing chord changes, so I can have something of a substantive lesson in 6… :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:19:32 am by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App