Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 39044 times)

Offline Todd S.

• Good Vibes 0
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 05:15:05 pm »
I'm not even a full week into the beginner coarse.  Getting better at the chords and 1 minute changes, up to 20 this morning. 

I tried the J.u.s.t.i.n. for the first time today.  They all sound the same to me.  I'm hoping it is something I'll be able to develop but it has me a bit concerned, can you be music deaf? 

I think I can tell A from D from E when I play them but listening to it through the computer was hard.  Maybe I need to crank the volume. 

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 05:27:06 pm »
It will take some time for your ears to learn each sound. Keep practicing and listening and it will come.

To help develop your ears really listen to the chords when you play them. Close your eyes so you hear
then with out seeing them.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:43 pm »
I think I can tell A from D from E when I play them but listening to it through the computer was hard.  Maybe I need to crank the volume.

If you're talking about just hearing a single chord played - most people can't tell what chord (or note) it is. Those who can have what is called 'perfect pitch'. That's something you're born with; it can't be learned.

What you can do is learn 'relative pitch'. That's where you hear the first chord and you know it's A. Then you can tell what the next chord is by how much higher or lower it is than the A chord. Or even if you don't know what the first chord is, if you call that the I chord, you'll be able to figure out the progression, even if you're not sure what key the song is in.

Note: if the E, A, and D chords are played with 6, 5, and 4 strings respectively - that would be something your ear could pick up on - but that's not the same thing as hearing and knowing the notes.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 11:04:20 pm »
I tried the J.u.s.t.i.n. for the first time today.  They all sound the same to me.  I'm hoping it is something I'll be able to develop but it has me a bit concerned, can you be music deaf?   

A lot of stuff sounds the same at first. Once you've played the chords over and over a lot, they start to stand out more. You start to pick out the small differences in them, and begin to be able to tell them apart. Just pay attention to what they sound like when you play, and really listen. You'll get it without even realizing you have.

Offline Blaze

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 06:12:58 pm »
Bleh, whatever I do, I can't seem to tell the difference between Em and E major.  I can whilst playing the guitar, as E major definitely has a far fuller sound, but through the computer they sound identical to me. :-\
lalalala Goodbye Days~

Offline rfriday

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:32 pm »
Bleh, whatever I do, I can't seem to tell the difference between Em and E major.  I can whilst playing the guitar, as E major definitely has a far fuller sound, but through the computer they sound identical to me. :-\
I'm currently having the exact same issue with C and Am.  Hopefully it will come with time, but I'm afraid..like you..that they just don't sound different enough through the computer.
Guitars: Fender Am. Special HSS Strat (black on black),  Schecter C-1 Custom, Seagull Entourage CW GT QI, Yamaha FGX700SC

Amps:  Fender Mustang III v2, Blackstar HT-5R

Offline MonkeyMark

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:26 pm »
There's no point asking how long it takes to complete the beginners course as everyone is different, learns as different speeds and some practice hours each day whilst others can only fit in 10 mins.

So instead I thought, out of curiosity, for total beginners, roughly how long did YOU take to complete the course or each stage in hours?

Offline FChris

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »
Well, for me BC was about 3-4 month, with half an hour solid practice a day, 5 to 6 days a week. Ever since I am working on Intermediate Foundation with less solid practice
Guitar is a lot about getting there, not arriving. - Drubbing

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 12:51:57 am »
I'm up to consolidating the BC and been on since the 9th of January this year. I suspect I'll be finished in the couple of weeks.

I think a month a stage is a good amount time on each stage.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 01:32:05 am »
There's no point in rushing through the course I would say 9 months to finish the whole course. People that rush through the basics never really get far..
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Offline TheReplicant

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
  • I've seen things..........
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 10:42:38 am »
Started the Beginner's Course at the beginning of August last year and finished it by the end of January this year. So, 6 months. However, I did spend a month consolidating the course as I was doing Justin's Strumming DVD, so 7 months overall.

I think went straight on to the Intermediate Course at the end of February and consolidating that now so 7 months for the IC too. I did the Music Theory .pdf while doing the IC.

I practice 1-2 hours a day everyday (apart from the odd day off when I moved house or had to work late).

I'm finishing up my consolidating of the IC this week and then moving onto the Blues Rhythm DVD.

Before August last year I'd never played an instrument in my life before.
Loar LH-200, Fender FSR Telecaster, Sigma DR-28, Fender Classic Player 50s Stratocaster, Fender Mustang 1 v2

Offline asura

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »
It's hard for me to give an accurate value, especially for the average time per day.
I believe it took ca. 1.5 years with 1 hour practise a day.
If I think on some songs maybe 2 years comes closer.

Probably a good chance to be the slowest, but I started with guitar because I thought (and still think) it is the hardest instrument for me to learn. At least I can be sure never to run out of exercises for the rest of this life :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 04:56:15 pm »
Around 6 months for me, from February to July. I've been playing (very) little some 25 years ago and the last three years I have played the piano. Maybe that is why I have moved a little faster than others.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »
It took me just over a year of not so regular practice to get through the BC. I still go back and brush up on it from time to time.

The hardest part is the first 6 months or so of getting the hang of it. Once I got to where I could play a few chords, and was able to play along with a few songs, the learning started getting faster. Now that I am able to play more, I feel like I am making more progress in a month than I did in the first 4.

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 05:11:43 pm »
The course took me about a year to get through, but that was also the old beginner's course so I don't know if the updated one would've taken more or less time.

However, I still go back to some of the lessons to review them and improve on some of the techniques. I've been playing about 5 and a half years on and off, and it's really a never ending learning experience.

Like others have said, be sure you don't rush any of the lessons. Building a strong foundation will benefit you immensely in the long run, and even though it will take longer at first it'll save you time when you move on to more complex techniques.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App