Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 76778 times)

Offline Conor

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
  • moo
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2016, 03:57:29 pm »
Hi, I'm wandering if I should move on to stage 4 or not...

I tried it today, but I felt like maybe I had gone ahead too soon maybe?

I've been on stage 3 for a week, at least 30 mins a day. I can do all the changes with C and G at 30 per minute or up to 45 if I'm less careful getting all of the chords perfect (I don't know if I should be able to do more before I move on?). I did the listening chord thing and I managed to get them all right except 1. I can do the strumming rhythm thing easily, I can do the finger excersise easily too.

But on stage 4 it just seemed like a big jump.. like I found it hard to mute the E string on the G7 and B7 while simultaneously playing the A string.. and the A mini-barre chord hurt my finger too and justin didn't mention that, so I feel like I'm doing something wrong? and also on the rhythm basics part, he said 'if you can do 60 changes per minute' refering to the A E and D chords, but i tried and I can only do that between the E and D, so I'm wandering if maybe I've rushed through the first 3 stages :s

So if anyone could give me some perspective it would help a lot! Thank you

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2016, 04:30:59 pm »
You never said anything about playing songs. If you can't play at least a few songs from stage
1 and 2 then you're not ready.
The whole point of the Beginner Course is to learn how to play the guitar. To many people get
caught up in learn chords and scales and forget to apply them to songs. 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2016, 06:33:43 pm »
Where's Close when you need him? ;)

Learn songs, play songs, learn songs, play songs, learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs............ 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2016, 06:55:39 pm »

Learn songs, play songs, learn songs, play songs, learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs,learn songs, play songs............ 8)

You rang?

:)

Offline jtbrown1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2016, 07:25:05 pm »
@ Conor

Two concerns...

The first has already been addressed by others. You should be doing the course with the goal of creating music. Your goal shouldn't be completing the exercises as quickly possible, the goal should be to use the exercises as tools to help you make music.

Don't complete a stage without working on songs from that stage. You don't have to work on every song, you don't even have to get every song 100% performance ready.

Second concern, you may be completing stages before you're ready. In particular, I don't think you should complete a stage, especially the early stages, if you can't do 60 (decent, not perfect) changes per minute.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:23:52 am by close2u »

Offline Conor

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
  • moo
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2016, 08:47:08 pm »
@ jtbrown1
Thank you that's really helpful :)

I think I'll head back to stage 1 or 2 then, and start learning songs (I got the message lol)

My main motivation for learning guitar is to create my own songs, and I guess I feel like I need to know a range of chords and techniques to be able to make a colourful song, so that's why I wanted to speed ahead... but you've reminded me that learning songs is still making music in a sense, so thanks for that!

Also on a side note do you know at what point in the do you start learning how to play things other than chords like riffs(?) and apeggios(?) and stuff like that (sorry I don't know the correct terms), is that part of the beginners course, or is that more advanced? I always imagined before I started this course that chords would come after the individual notes, because I'm in a piano course I'm learning from thats the order.. but maybe chords are more basic learning in guitar?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:24:16 am by close2u »

Offline Conor

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
  • moo
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2016, 08:51:39 pm »

I did almost learn 2 songs in stage 3, but in both of the videos Justin made, he added extra stuff I hadn't learnt yet like riffs and a big G chord, and I lost motivation :s

But I'll go for it again thanks!

Also could I ask, do the chord sequences at the end of the stages count as songs in your opinion, or are they too basic?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2016, 09:38:06 pm »
My main motivation for learning guitar is to create my own songs,

The best way to write your own songs is to learn song you like and in the style of music
that you like to listen to.
There is more to writing than throwing some random chords together. Not all chords like each other.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2016, 09:56:58 pm »
Conor the chords progressions at the end of stages don't really count....and I'm not sure which videos you've been watching but Justin ALWAYS ( particularly in the early stages )shows the very simplest way to play the song ( usually with just down strums ). The "extra bits" you learn when you get more competent ( which is probably going to be weeks/months) down the line.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2016, 10:24:44 pm »
Also could I ask, do the chord sequences at the end of the stages count as songs in your opinion, or are they too basic?

Not quite sure what you're referring to here, do you mean the chords listed in the practice schedules ? If so these are just the 1 minute changes exercise and each pair of chords is just one exercise. You may mean something else but whatever it is these are not songs, you need the 7th lesson in each stage "Easy Songs For Stage X"

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:45 pm »
My main motivation for learning guitar is to create my own songs, and I need to know a lot of songs to be able to make a colourful song ...

Fixed that for you.
 ;)

It's been said already ... learn songs, learn songs, learn songs ... (Thanks Toby)

Think of any great songwriter you admire.
Change that.
Think of any songwriter.
Estimate how many songs (not written by them) they have ever learned how to play.
It will likely number hundreds or thousands.
Think of Lennon & McCartney (some say the greatest songwriters ever).
They played hundreds of cover songs before they wrote their first songs of any worth.
By learning other people's songs you learn the skills and techniques on the instrument and you learn the craft of songwriting.
Even songs you wouldn't normally like or listen to, if you learn to play them, you will learn so much about songs.
Playing songs is what it's all about (including, eventually your own) and is where the fun is at.
Everybody loves a song.

Hence the mantra ...
learn songs, learn songs, learn songs
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:36:25 am by close2u »

Offline Conor

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
  • moo
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:25 am »
Conor the chords progressions at the end of stages don't really count....and I'm not sure which videos you've been watching but Justin ALWAYS ( particularly in the early stages )shows the very simplest way to play the song ( usually with just down strums ). The "extra bits" you learn when you get more competent ( which is probably going to be weeks/months) down the line.
Okay, that makes sense, I didn't watch the full length of either video, so I suppose he may have clarified which parts that I should learn...  that's my bad, I should have watched the whole thing instead of judging too soon.. or just play what I can and leave out the extra bits and thanks for letting me know that the chord progressions don't count too!

also just to let you know, I watched (parts of) the videos for 'How to save a life' by the Fray (which had the big G chord) and 'Brown eyed girl' by Van morrison (which had the scary riff)

Not quite sure what you're referring to here, do you mean the chords listed in the practice schedules ? If so these are just the 1 minute changes exercise and each pair of chords is just one exercise. You may mean something else but whatever it is these are not songs, you need the 7th lesson in each stage "Easy Songs For Stage X"
Ok yeah, I will learn songs (I've said this a few times now lol, but I promise I will!) I'm learning from the beginner's book, just because I prefer it (except the song videos I have to go on the computer for), so maybe the chord progressions aren't on the online chorse - its just like at the end of each stage there is a set of chords that justin says to play with 4 beats per bar, so for example in stage 3 there is a progression: | G | C | D | Em |   and I've been playing those as substitute for songs, but no longer! Hope that clears up what I meant..

Fixed that for you.
 ;)

It's been said already ... learn songs, learn songs, learn songs ... (Thanks Toby)

Think of any great songwriter you admire.
Change that.
Think of any songwriter.
Estimate how many songs (not written by them) they have ever learned how to play.
It will likely number hundreds or thousands.
Think of Lennon & McCartney (some say the greatest songwriters ever).
They played hundreds of cover songs before they wrote their first songs of any worth.
By learning other people's songs you learn the skills and techniques on the instrument and you learn the craft of songwriting.
Even songs you wouldn't normally like or listen to, if you learn to play them, you will learn so much about songs.
Playing songs is what it's all about (including, eventually your own) and is where the fun is at.
Everybody loves a song.

Hence the mantra ...
learn songs, learn songs, learn songs
Thank you so much for writing that out, I feel so motivated now to learn songs :D I completely understand where you're coming from, you're right - where better to learn songwriting than from other songs (which have been written)? I think part of me feels like learning from other songs would take away the original-ness of whatever I create, but hopefully I can find my own style within these other songs just by experimenting and finding what I like.

I kind of wish Justin had put that mantra in the course somewhere, because I really had no idea that learning the songs is in essence the most important part of each stage, and just the process of learning... maybe it's supposed to be intuitive or obvious, but to me it seemed like the learning songs part was sort of just a bonus to keep you entertained in each stage :S how wrong i was lol

It's also kind of confusing because from what I have read when looking up how to learn piano is that you should learn the technique rather than just look up songs to play, to learn piano more thoroughly... although as I have just typed that out it has just hit me that the piano coursebook I've been using is filled with songs, with just a few exercises here and there... woow i'm stupid...

Anyway enough rambling, I can't thank everyone who responded enough, you've all helped a great deal!!! :* (and sorry for hogging this whole page of the thread haha)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:35:56 am by close2u »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 68
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2016, 08:36:30 am »
Conor, do you have the beginners song book? if not then get it as this will make it easier to learn songs. Bear in mind some of the techniques Justin uses in those songs is to try and encourage you to practice what you're learning in each stage.

Brown eye girl riff is actually pretty tricky for a beginner (and there are probably easier versions for that riff on YT if you look) BUT you really don't need it to play that song. In the BSB you'll see Justin has an optional thing (you can just start the song by playing through verse chord G,C,G D) that'll be perfectly adequate for a start. Hey I was busking the other day and I certainly didn't bother with the riff.

How to save a life you can just play with a normal G. Again it would be nice to include the big G as it's good practice but not essential if you want to learn the song. I really didn't get comfortable with this until much later on.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2016, 09:11:14 am »

He means the chord sequences at the end of stages in the Beginner's Course book

I suggest Conor reads what Justin writes under the practice schedule on the next page re. moving on to the next stage ;)

And definitely get the Beginner's Songbook Volume 1.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:23:33 pm by joueur de guitare »
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline stevestrat

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2017, 06:51:41 pm »
Hi all

On stage 8 now, can play thorough the songs, Pretty fly for a white guy is playable but is very difficult. Can get through it though, should I be moving on to stage 9?

Sent from my iPhone using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Get The Forum As A Mobile App