Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 84487 times)

Offline Distilled Animal Spirits

• Good Vibes 0
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #150 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:07 am »
Hi Seek and good to see you joining the community. 43 here and I've been playing since last November using Justin's course exclusively.

I'm your age and just picking it up.  Would love to know how you're doing now. I am ready to get going and have a good time learning.

DAS

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #151 on: February 29, 2016, 09:26:41 am »
Hi Das, That was a post from long ago but as you'll see I'm still pretty active on here and still learning to play working my way through the final stages of IM. To be honest having completed the BC at the end of 2014 I spent a lot of 2015 consolidating, learning more songs and generally getting more comfortable with the guitar WHILST also starting the IM. I'm about to launch into the last couple of stages of IM with a target to complete by end of year (or perhaps earlier) before I then start Blues rhythm and lead.

If you actually want to LISTEN to where I've come from and where I am now you're welcome to listen to my soundcloud posts (link below in my signature block). There are a lot of tracks now...but I think my earliest is three little birds on there which I think I posted on here 4-5 months in....and mainly that was because it was only at that point that I was starting to play and sing and felt confident enough to post.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline AJ

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2016, 05:42:55 pm »
I am on stage 4 now. How many songs should I learn for each stage? Should I be able to sing and play most of the songs by now? I can play the songs but having a hard time to sing at the same time.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2016, 06:27:09 pm »
AJ

Singing and playing is not mandatory but nice if you can do it. I still struggle and I've just finished the IM !!
Learning the songs from each stage is not a measure of when to move on to the next. In fact its fairly common to be working on songs 1, 2 or 3 stages back from where you're learning new techniques. The important things is to have a good grasp of the items from each stage, competent 1 minute changes and all the new chords ringing clear. That's when to move on but keep on learning songs as you go and improving your technique. In the BC consolidation Justin says you should know 10 songs start to finish covering all the stages, so its up to you at the end of the day. Personally I think I worked on 4 or 5 per stage but have gone back to learn others and am still working my way through all of the Beginners Song Book No 1 (and have Book 2 to start.......................and the Rock Song Book ).

Hope that helps

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline AJ

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2016, 07:26:22 pm »
Thank You TobyJenner

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2016, 06:18:40 am »
In my case I got to about stage 5 before I tried any songs at all. I just couldn't get into 3 little birds. I would just focus on chord changes, getting them fast enough to include them in songs. I'm on stage 9 now and I concentrate a lot on songs. I find this helps my rhythm, strumming, chord changes. I still can't sing and play though. In fact I don't think I've sung for 40 years! I guess throat muscles  weaken without use just like arm and leg muscles, so now my range is about one octave. I think I might need singing lessons to remedy that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline SlaboDayBlues

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2016, 07:28:02 pm »
Hello,

I've been noodling the guitar for like 2 years now and have ordered myself the book and taken action to get into the guitar more seriously. I can play most chords from the beginners book ( except the dreaded F of course I'm struggling with hehe) and when I learn songs, I can mostly play them alright, not perfectly but with practise it'll be good. But then.. when I try to sing and play, it' s just horrible. My wife laughs at me when I try it.. I just hope I'll get there and can achieve it but at this moment it just feels like I should leave the singing part aside ( although I really want to learn it ). Anyone else struggles with this or is it just me? Some advise would be great cheers in advance for your replies.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2016, 08:09:30 pm »
Slabo

Given what you've said about your experience I'd recommend you work through Justin's Beginner's course. There's loads of technique there. over and above basic chords that will help develop your playing, then move on to the Intermediate Modules.

Regards singing and playing, some find it easier than others but you need to have both the song (on guitar) and the lyrics nailed. FWIW I'm still struggling to do this but I have a huge confidence issue with my own vocals but I'm slowly getting there.

This lesson from Justin will give you all the steps and tips to sing and play.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-401-SingingAndPlaying.php

Good luck and welcome to the forum  ;D

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2016, 08:48:21 pm »
Not just you.  Working through that issue myself and have been playing for about a year with Justin's BC.  Hoping it will come around.  Going to try singing over a recorded track of me playing first I think.  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat
Fender Mustang Ii v2

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2016, 08:53:44 pm »
Slabo, as Toby said some find it easier than others. Pick a - simple - song you really like and get the playing off pat. Separately get the song up on YT and practice singing to it ( no playing )until you know the words and rythm off pat and you are comfortable singing it without backing track. Back to playing, do it slowly and try to hum the song as you play. Just doing that engages the vocal and playing. When your comfortable with that try playing and singing if necessary a line at a time. It will be stilted to start with but you will slowly get more comfortable.

I find it easy to play and sing mostly but when im learning a tricky song where the chords and vocals dont sit so easily together its the approach I take. Im learning Kelli Scarr Come Back To Me at the moment.  Its relatively simple fingerstyle but getting the vocal to work has been hard. Fast Car was similar I had to get the playing completely automatic then learn it line by line for the first verse
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G

Offline SlaboDayBlues

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2016, 08:31:34 pm »
Alright thanks guys!

Got the marley - 3 little birds song under the knee now :) and struggling on presleys thats all right, but its all right i'll get there! :) and feels good to be in the community having way too much fun on guitar why oh why did I not do this when I was a kid!

Offline colinmcq59

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2016, 11:49:14 pm »
hi I feel the same there I am 59 now I had picked a guitar up about three years ago,  the mistake I made was trying to us the game Rock-smith 2013 I feel that has slowed me right down, I was doing OK till I started that game with the big idea that I was going to learn songs faster than the normal tried route,  but getting back to what you said I do wish that I'd started years ago, but I bought Justin's beginner course and that has sat in my drawer for about two of the three years that I have mucked on.

I have a friend that has learned me lots on power chords so the time that I have hasn't been totally wasted am now just going to stick in hard to the books and will go from there.

8) :P

Offline Rob E

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2016, 06:20:46 pm »
Really don't know where to post this so I'll try it here- the moderators can move or remove if necessary: I've just read in the newsletter about the possible grading system and think it's a great idea, I just wonder if Justin will start running exams (which I imagine would be resource-hungry) or if there will be some kind of self assessment? I do find that having goals helps me both progress and stay motivated...

Offline Conor

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
  • moo
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2016, 08:00:55 pm »
Hi I'm on stage 3, and I'm just wandering if anyone could answer a few (or just whatever you can answer) questions? Thankyou!

1: I am not using a pick, just my fingers, and I don't really know what to do on the up-strum with my hand. On down strums I kind of just brush my first 2 or 3 fingers along the strings, and if I'm playing a particular string I just use my thumb or index finger... but on up strums I find it difficult, I can't use my fingers as my nails are angled the wrong way so it doesn't ring out when i play, and I try to use my thumbnail, but i find that I seem to strum too lightly on some strings and too hard on others. Just wandering if I'm doing anything wrong or should I just keep practicing and work out my own way or something?

To be honest that's the most important question ^^^ but here are 3 extra ones:

2: When I'm practicing the rhythm guitar basics (#1) (the strumming techniques) am I supposed to be trying it with different chord patterns or just any chord or just open strings?

3: Should I be using the strumming pattern from that (with the up-strum after the 3rd beat) in songs and chord sequences or no?

4: On a G chord for some reason my 3rd finger bends inwards on the joint above the nail, (so rather than it curving outwards it curves inwards.) If I don't do that then it's hard to get enough pressure on the string to make the sound, so should I keep doing the weird creased pinkie thing, or try and changed it to a nicer, curved finger?

Thankyou for your help (if anybody does)!!!! :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:47:24 am by close2u »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2016, 08:15:00 pm »
Question 1 - I used a pick from day one but have taught myself just to use my thumb (mainly to reduce volume at night). It works fine and has its place in certain songs BUT it's very forgiving I.e. Your technique mistakes aren't as obvious. I think you'll also struggle with more complicated patterns later on. Learn to use a pick.

Q2 focus on the pattern with just the most comfortable chord to start with. As you get comfortable with try switching between chords.

Q3 Justin recommends just using down strums early on when learning songs. If you have the BSB he'll recommend patterns that you can try later on if you like.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:47:49 am by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App