Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 44287 times)

lynchy

Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 12:00:34 pm »
Hi to all,

I have been playing the guitar for about 4 weeks. I am working through stage 1 of the beginers course which is going pretty well. I can play 3 of the songs from there now quite well but not perfectly. Sometimes i miss chord changes or they sounds a bit twangy! I am not sure whether i should keep going over it again and again or try stage 2? Any ideas please...

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »
You're aiming for competency in each stage, not perfection. Move on.

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 01:29:04 pm »
@Drubbing's right.

Also, remember at the bottom of each stage's Practice Schedule lesson is a list of guidelines to help you decide whether to move on.  Take a look at the bottom of this web page.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

GuitarDiva

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:04:42 pm »
I have been playing on and off for years, and started Justin's beginners course today, I don't think I have many bad habits lol, apart from using my thumb more than I should do when I pick .... I am trying really hard to stop using my thumb quite so much

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »
I'm sure there are LOTS, but for me, the #1 thing is:

NEVER STOP STRUMMING

That's why Justin teaches the chords first, but holds off starting on strumming & songs until your chord changes are somewhat fluent, so you don't divert all your attention to the chord changes and allow your right hand to stop. It's a difficult habit to break - I know- been there, done that!

Best advice: Follow the course :)

FancyCloth

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:44 am »
 I am not sure whether i should keep going over it again and again or try stage 2

Offline Lucina

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 05:35:38 pm »
I'm a guitar returner - ie I played years ago (not brilliantly but adequately - at least I thought so at the time), had a long, long gap, now I'm learning all over again.

I'm already familiar with the chords in the early stages, getting 60 to 80 changes per minute in stages 2 and 3. So theoretically, I should be able to move through the early stages fairly quickly.  But I find I'm rubbish at the J.U.S.T.I.N. Sound Recognition parts, especially recognising the chord progressions.  There is some improvement in recognising major and minor chords but the rest of the sound recognition is still very hard for me.

Should I get the J.U.S.T.I.N. sound part right in each stage before I move on?  If so, it's going to really hold me back. Or do I just practise that part while I move on and hope it gets better?

And am I the only one who gets in a total muddle trying to manipulate my guitar, a pad and pencil and stop/start/pausing my laptop (with itunes) at the same time?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 05:46:54 pm »
I have chosen to skip the JUSTIN training as well, at least for now. I figure it's something that I can always return to later on. For now I have plenty material playing the songs in the Beginners Songbook and the Acoustic Songbook. I also believe that the songs I play now will benefit my JUSTIN training later.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Guitar_noob

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 06:03:11 pm »
I have chosen to skip the JUSTIN training as well, at least for now. I figure it's something that I can always return to later on. For now I have plenty material playing the songs in the Beginners Songbook and the Acoustic Songbook. I also believe that the songs I play now will benefit my JUSTIN training later.
That's what I did too. I always thought : "well, let's get good at guitar first".

Turned out I regret it now. Doing a few minutes of J.U.S.T.I.N while practicing every day opens your ears. Now that I do feel that I need to be able to transcribe to get really better, I realize that I've wasted some precious time not doing it in the first place...

I'd say, stick to the plan ;).

... that being said, don't let it stop you completely from getting to the next lessons... but it's worth a shot.
限界などない!停滞しているだけだ!

Offline Lucina

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »
Oh, I didn't mean to skip the J.U.S.T.I.N. bit altogether - it's made me realise how lacking I am on that side of things.  I just meant do I need to get all the sound recognition parts right on each stage before moving to the next one? Or do I have a go each time and accept that I'm not much good at that aspect yet but will hopefully improve?

The book doesn't really make it clear whether you're expected to perfect that part each time or not.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16:32 pm »
Should I get the J.U.S.T.I.N. sound part right in each stage before I move on?  If so, it's going to really hold me back. Or do I just practise that part while I move on and hope it gets better?

I would say move on, but keep practicing the JUSTIN stuff, rather than skipping it. I personally don't think of the JUSTIN training as a pass/fail thing, more as an incentive to listen carefully, both to the exercises and music in general. As your playing develops, I think you'll find it easier to recognise chords and chord sequences.

And am I the only one who gets in a total muddle trying to manipulate my guitar, a pad and pencil and stop/start/pausing my laptop (with itunes) at the same time?

No!  ;D

{typed while you were posting, but hopefully answers your point!}

Offline Lucina

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »
Thanks for the help, everyone - I'm much encouraged as the sound recognition was getting me down.  I will keep plugging at it though.

I've now moved on to stage 4, and they're chords I've always found a bit more challenging. Hopefully the one-minute changes will help iron out the problems. This is a great course!

Offline Blaze

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
Hey all, newbie here~  :)

Anyway, I've been going through the Beginner's Course (great so far!) but I've noticed as I've went on my scores in the J.U.S.T.I.N training have just got gradually worse. During Stage 1 & 2 I was generally scoring 95% plus overall, however now I've reached Stage 5 and I'm looking at around 60-70%.   :-\

I'm fine with the chord changes and have learnt four songs from the Songbook for Stage 5, but I'm not sure whether I should move on due to the aural side of things not being as good.  ??? All advice is appreciated~
lalalala Goodbye Days~

Offline deerpark1951

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:19 am »
I am a beginner and have reached stage 6.  I can spend  30 minutes on the J.U.S.T.I.N. training and single  chords and chord quality I nail but the CPR is killing me!  I feel like I should be picking up the guitar practicing and not trying so hard to listen.

Offline jnb

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
  • 91°N, 212°W Lost again!
    • The Fat Cafe
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »
@ Lucina

Same here. I found the problem is that I could go through the recorded exercises and nail them spot on recognising chord sequences without any problems but there's only a few exercises like that and, like sight reading, once you've gone through it once correctly there's no point in revisiting it. On the other hand try and apply the same exercises to a real song with all the additional instrumentation and voices and I find it nearly impossible. In the end I moved into a lot of solo and classical guitar where chords are less dominant and picking out a melody and counterpoint are more relevant which I can do but unfortunately I'd like to be able to do more of that "busking with three chords and pick up from four bars or someone else playing" style of music. I can improvise around any number of chord sequences and scales but spontaneously picking up someone elses tune escapes me.

You've got toes haven't you?  :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:24:39 am by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App