Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 44667 times)

Offline Tim Mason

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 15
  • Started learning in September 2013
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2014, 09:11:52 pm »
There's nothing to be scared of. Someone once said that if you could learn to drive a car and pass a driving test, you could learn to play an instrument and read music. And you don't need a safety belt.

Just follow Justin's course, and stick to the practice schedules he gives you as you go through the stages. In the first few stages, he tells you when you should move on, and later on you'll get to feel it for yourself. Don't worry too much about how long it takes: in fact it's probably best to hold yourself back a bit, rather than rushing into the next stage and having to go back and do it again. But whatever you do, the lessons will still be there, and all of us here are convinced that they work.

(I'm still cycling through the BC after just over a year, although I have taken a peek at the Intermediate).
Good luck

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »
Oh my gosh, you guys are scaring me. I will need to do what? To when? And how?

I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. For now, task at hand.

Just take it one step at a time. Justin has a great method laid out in the BC, and if you follow it step by step you will soon find that many of those things which seem impossible now won't be nearly as daunting when you get there. It's all about building that foundation.

Online Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2014, 12:58:49 pm »
The whole time Iwas holding the pick wrong. I always heard a scratching on the string. I bet you can here this on my songs I upluaded
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2014, 03:07:16 pm »

The whole time Iwas holding the pick wrong. I always heard a scratching on the string. I bet you can here this on my songs I upluaded

Oh no! At least you figured it out and can fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2014, 03:23:36 pm »
the only problem I have is that I often drop the pick and I may get me a Thumbpick.
If I would be lefthanded it wouldn't happen.
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline toffeeman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2014, 09:11:56 pm »
Hi guys new to the forum and finding the beginners course very enjoyable. I've had the guitar for about 6 weeks now and was wondering on average it took people to move stage by stage. Sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find answers. 

[mod edit - there is an existing thread ... on the same page as your new post about 7 threads below ... now merged]

ps - welcome to the forums, enjoy
:)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:48:05 am by close2u »

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »
Hi toffeeman,

First off, welcome to the forum!

The time it takes per stage varies quite a bit depending on both the individual and which stage they are working on. I'd say anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months is normal, but it's been a while since I worked through the BC so I can't remember personally how long it took.

It also depends on how long you practice each day. My recommendation would be to make sure you aren't trying to rush through the course and that you feel confident with the material before moving on. If there's one thing that you're really stuck on, go ahead and move on but keep that lesson in your practice routine during the next stage(s) until you get it down.

Finally, try not to worry about how long it *should* take per stage. As long as you are thorough and take the time to learn things properly, you'll have a solid foundation for your playing. Hope this helps!

Offline toffeeman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2014, 11:42:51 pm »
Hi mike thanks for the reply back .  I'm in the middle of stage 2 and getting used to using the metronome and foot tapping.  I'm just taking my time and I'll know when to move on. I already know the C and G chords so that will give me a start on stage 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mike42

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2014, 12:30:04 am »
I remember the first couple stages being very difficult because everything is brand new and I had no foundation to build on. The next couple stages weren't too bad, mainly just trying to get used to the tricky fingerings (like B7 - I still avoid open B7 chords like the plague!).

Stage 6 will introduce the F barre chord. Fun times... and lots of frustration!

But once you do manage to complete the BC I can guarantee that you will feel a huge sense of accomplishment and will probably be surprised at how much you've actually learned!

Offline bptrav

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2014, 04:03:03 pm »
Stage 6 will introduce the F barre chord. Fun times... and lots of frustration!

It's not a bad idea to have a look at the first part of the intermediate course either when learning the F (E shape) barre chord, since the first fret is actually the hardest place to play it.  It also gives you some insight into WHY you are spending so much time working on that one chord.  It's the foundation for so many different barre chords you'll be learning, all of which can be moved up and down the neck.  It really opens up a lot of possibilities in your playing.

Offline guitar-zeb7

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »
I'm just feeling like I've put myself in a bad learning stage and hoping someone could help me here. When I first started to play guitar, it was because I heard the song Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd and I felt like I had no choice but to learn it on my guitar I never really messed with, so I did from the youtube guitar lesson video from Martysongs (or whatever). Now I can play the whole song with the solo in between the slow picking at the start and everything. Now I've come to this website (which I think is awesome) and learned Wanted: Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi from Justin's video lesson and can play everything he taught on that video of the song. I know other little riffs but those are the only full songs I can play. Now I'm wanting to learn how to transcribe songs, but don't know whether I should learn a song or 2 from each part of the beginners course 1st or start trying to transcribe easy songs from the beginners course. I know if I watched a video from the beginners course it wouldn't take me long at all to learn a song, but I just don't feel like I know enough yet to start to working out songs on my own. If someone could give me some advice on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »
Start with the Beginner Course. The stuff yo already know you will get throw quickly. The stuff you don't
know, well there's no time like the present to learn it. Justin has layed out the BC to teach you more
than just how to play songs it will teach you proper practice methods and most importantly how to
learn songs any song.

Offline Setneck Tele USA

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
the only problem I have is that I often drop the pick and I may get me a Thumbpick.
If I would be lefthanded it wouldn't happen.

I know this is an old post but in order to help others who may be having this problem I will try to address it from my perspective.

Don't go to a thumb pick if you're having trouble with holding the pick.  If need be go back to Justin's advice and instructions on how to hold the pick and to use it.  I haven't reviewed that portion of the lessons because I've been playing a long time.  But my pick used to fly out of my hands all the time when I was first learning, sometimes the thing would fly into the sound hole. LOL.  To this day sometimes the pick will turn sideways on me if I'm really getting with it.

A thumb pick is typically a much harder pick and harder to strum and pick with.  They are for finger picking and make terrible strumming picks, although I have seen professionals do some strumming with them.  But wile the pick won't fly away from you, you will find they are much harder to strum with.
When I grow up I'm going to be Chet Atkins or Mark Knopfler

Offline shaunh

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:14 pm »
I have been learning guitar for about year and a half with justins books. The main points I learnt are to practice whatever stage your at (eg. open chords A,D,E) as much as possible and you will know when you ready to move to the next stage, but to also keep practicing those chords changes, you can never get too good or practice too much. If you dont know what i mean now, you will in time. The guitar is definitely a journey of discovery. Hope this helps

Offline AngusSG

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2015, 06:59:26 pm »
I've been learning for three weeks. Time yourself as recommended as to how many cord changes you can make in a minute. Did it for the first time today managed 60. Couldn't believe it. If you use Justin's mile stones i.e the targets he recommends then you should be fine. I've also started recording myself using my phones voice memo function. Keep plugging away at it I'm sure you'll get there  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App