Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 84479 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2014, 07:06:14 pm »
Chord sequences are chords strung together in a song. Unlike the one minute changes where you change
every beat. You'd change according to the song. To practice you can just play the A D E one per barre or
learn a song like Lay Down Sally (the simple version Justin Teaches) or any of the songs in stage one.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BS-000-BeginnersSongbook.php

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2014, 07:52:05 pm »
I was watching beginners training lesson i think 119, and chord sequences was mentioned as a good technique, but I can't find anything on the website.  Any help?

Twitch here's the accompanying text with BC119 - you refer to :

Songs / Chord Sequences
The idea here is just to have fun and dig on the fact that you should now be able to play some of the songs from the songbook. Pick one song per practice session and work on getting it as smooth as possible. Memorising the chord sequence for the song will certainly help if you are able to. However, I would recommend maybe starting off with some ‘made-up' sequences just to get you going. Below are some short chord sequences using D, A and E to try.

Playing chord sequences, or progressions, is a great way to develop your chord changes without the pressure of playing songs. I have to admit, the majority of people enjoy playing songs more, but they are both of great benefit.

Because there is no melody or lyrics to the chord progressions you can concentrate fully on making the changes between the chords as smooth as possible. The aim is not to stop at all, and to keep the timing of the strums perfectly evenly spaced. You are sure to recognise some of the progressions as being from famous songs too. You could even make up your own chord progressions if you want to!

So as Stitch suggested start learning the songs in the BeginnersSongbook via the link he provides.
I assume you're at stage 1 so watch the videos. Justin explains the simple 4 beats per bar strum you should be aiming at for now - things will get more complicated later rest assured. The songs below all contain just A D E which you are learning or have now learnt, so give these a go to get your confidence up but start real slow to get used to the chord sequences and then gradually  speed up so you can play along with the songs.

BS-101 • Three Little Birds - Bob Marley ∆
BS-102 • Feelin' Alright - Traffic
BS-103 • Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
BS-105 • I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash
BS-106 • The Gambler - Kenny Rodgers
BS-107 • That's All Right Mama - Elvis Presley
BS-108 • Love Me Do - The Beatles
BS-110 • Common People - Pulp

Oh yeah and have fun  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2014, 02:09:29 am »
I'm just curious if you've gone through some or all of the stages how long it took you?

I tend to be very slow to get things requiring fine motor skills but I want to be able to play the some of the songs in the later stages now! ha.

And I know everyone is different, but maybe you guys can give me a little idea of exactly how patient I'm going to have to be.  ;)

Offline pipsickle

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2014, 07:12:23 am »
Hi BadOmega,

Some took me a week - 10 days some took me more than a month (the one with the F barre chord!). I then spent quite a few months on learning songs and consolidating at the end.

Good luck! :)

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
I started in mid January and finished beginning of October. So 9 months, But I spent 3 months learning songs and jamming around before going for the IM.

As Pipsickle said some of stages take longer then others. But don't be afraid to move on to the next stage and include something from the previous stage if you're struggling on it.

Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2014, 12:02:52 pm »
Badomega

We are all naturally different at learning, so here's a possible worst case scenario. I started the BC back in Feb/Mar 2013 hit a bit of a wall with Stage 6  (started 6 in November) and the F chord, went on to stage 7 July ish this year. Then lost my way a bit and have just regrouped working back from the BS 1 exercises. I'm probably a bit different to most folk starting the BC, as I actually started playing 18 years ago and kinda dropped off after a few years. But I never learnt the so important foundation of rythm playing, that you are learning here. With me I'm probably too methodical and want to get everything 100% (try anyway) and a bit of Analysis Paralysis as Justin calls it.

So don't worry if you don't complete the BC in a few months or a year. Just take your time building a really strong base for the future. That way you'll stick with it for life  8)   
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2014, 01:15:59 pm »
@BadOmega
I think that's a good question even though most of us have different goals and timelines in mind when we start the BC. For me, I found that learning and practicing the skill set in each stage went faster until I started applying those skills to playing songs.  Applying the new skills is taking longer for me than learning them did.  I have been working through the BC for 4 months and I am learning to play a stage 3 song.  Since I want to be able to play several simple songs by the time I finish the BC, I see it taking me much longer than a year to finish all the stages.

But again, the time it takes depends on each person and their goals.
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2014, 03:17:28 pm »
I've been playing for over two years and haven't "completed" the BC. I've done every lesson but am in the middle of consolidating everything taught and making sure I have it down by focusing on my weaknesses and incorporating what I've learned into a bunch of songs. During the summer I set a goal to complete the BC by the end of the year. I could get there, but really the milestone is so subjective that I'm not sure it matters anymore. It really is a journey and as long as I get better and enjoy playing then I'm good. When I'm ready to be challenged further or get bored, I'll dive into the intermediate course.

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:58 pm »
I finished the Beginners course within 5 months most stages took 1 week- 2 weeks to finish it just depended on how easily I could get some things. Then again I was practicing each day for 2 hours a day so that's why I ended up finishing it so quickly.
"You're only limited to what you think you can and can't do."

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2014, 04:45:56 pm »
Badomega

So don't worry if you don't complete the BC in a few months or a year. Just take your time building a really strong base for the future. That way you'll stick with it for life  8)

I agree  it really sticks with you, and once you leave the beginners course you'll have a strong foundation in your guitar playing. I would of never have been able to get myself to an advanced level if I didn't have that strong foundation.

Once you get to the intermediate course you'll learn how important it is what has been taught in the beginners course. It just transitions from different levels of playing the basics of subdividing of beats, and what not the strumming patterns they've all carried on through out my journey through every style I've learnt.

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2014, 12:14:34 pm »
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to put my goal down as a year. I like to have a goal in mind even if I don't quite make it.

Today is day 5 and I can make all the notes sound on the first three cords about 80-90% of the time, compared to zero on day one.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2014, 02:23:34 pm »
A year sounds a good target BadOmega so go for it. Sounds like you're making good progress.

I think it gets more difficult to stick to BC around that stage 6/7 when - probably - you're getting competent enough to start playing quite a few songs that sound ok with stuff from Stage 1-5 and therefore you get a bit distracted PLUS at Stage 6 I think things ramp up a bit not in the context of necessarily understanding what needs to be done just the sheer practice that is needed to get things like the F Chord, Bass strum, Pentatonic scale, Power Chords and 12 bar blues right, confident and smooth. I'm stage 8 and I have to keep dragging myself away from songs to focus on practice......BUT I will get there.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline black_devils

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Music is life.
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2014, 03:31:24 pm »
A year sounds a good target BadOmega so go for it. Sounds like you're making good progress.

I think it gets more difficult to stick to BC around that stage 6/7 when - probably - you're getting competent enough to start playing quite a few songs that sound ok with stuff from Stage 1-5 and therefore you get a bit distracted PLUS at Stage 6 I think things ramp up a bit not in the context of necessarily understanding what needs to be done just the sheer practice that is needed to get things like the F Chord, Bass strum, Pentatonic scale, Power Chords and 12 bar blues right, confident and smooth. I'm stage 8 and I have to keep dragging myself away from songs to focus on practice......BUT I will get there.

I remember when I was a beginner I really struggle with that B,D,U pattern it must of been one of the most challenging strumming patterns I had to get down just being on that beginner skill level. The F barre chord is definitely going to take a while to get down as you're not really focused on it that much in the beginners course, but as soon as you get into the intermediate course things really start to get sticky.   I only started to get the barre chords down until I dived into the intermediate course which includes 16th note strumming patterns and E, and A shape barre chords with triads

. That's when the real challenge starts with those barre chords, but in due time if you're diligent with your practice you should get them down. Barre chords for me are like playing open chords they're just super easy to do in fact I feel like it's much easier to slide the barre chord shapes down instead of strumming open chords. It might be due to the fact that i'm lazy, but barre chords open up a whole new door for your playing so it's definitely worth it to get down.

8)

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
The whole BC (at stage 3 right now) feels like a roller-coaster to me, some days it feels like I have my chord changes in my fingers, fast forward 2 days and i feel like all my chord changes that went so well 2 day ago now all sound muffled and messy. It drives me crazy, but i guess it just means I have to practice more before moving to the next stage :-/ especially the darn C-G changes are still too much hit and miss to justify to move to the next stage, at least it means it will take a long time before I have to deal with the dreaded F chord.
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline BadOmega

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2014, 09:00:23 pm »
Oh my gosh, you guys are scaring me. I will need to do what? To when? And how?

I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. For now, task at hand.

I think it gets more difficult to stick to BC around that stage 6/7 when - probably - you're getting competent enough to start playing quite a few songs that sound ok with stuff from Stage 1-5 and therefore you get a bit distracted

I can see getting distracted. After all, we're here for the music, right?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App