Author Topic: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.  (Read 42585 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 332
  • Teesside, North East England.
What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:43:27 am »
Questions ...

:)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 07:10:38 pm by close2u »

Andy Tighe

Re: What to learn next? Should I move to the next stage? etc etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:25:21 am »
I was just wondering how long (on average) would people recommend beginners spend on each stage. I am looking at Justin's new beginner's course (BC 101 etc.). I believe 9-10 lessons make up a stage so BC 111 - BC 119 make up stage 1 (learning D, A and E chords).

I know there won't be one answer fits all as everyone learns at a different pace but I want to give myself targets before looking at the next stage. I know how to play the D,A and E chords but haven't got the speed to change chords accurately yet so feel I am not particularly ready for the next bunch (though I have had a sneak preview and can place my fingers on Dm, Am and Em). I also am still finding it difficult to strum and change at the same time... sorry, only a bloke so can't yet do two things at once.

Brilliant lessons. Justin should show off his skills a bit more though and play through whole songs every now and then. Do the odd request maybe - although I understand he is very busy.

foot

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:26:50 pm »
Wait until you pretty much master one set of skills before moving on to the next. If you forge ahead at a breakneck pace, you'll be able to play a little of this, and a little bit of that, however, you won't be a solid player. Believe me, when I first picked up a guitar when I was a kid, I wanted to be an overnight Hendrix or Clapton. It didn't take long to figure out that it doesn't work like that.

Good luck,

Foot

charlieguitars

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:47 pm »
If you have to ask, chances are your not ready.  If you can't do chord changes and strum at the same time then you there really is no point because you can't play them anyway.  Work on it til it is easy.  I mean really easy.  Like you can do it without looking and and without thinking about it.  That's when you move on.

The Gunner

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:28:31 am »
Many beginners become bored from the routine starting out. The reason is because they understand the concept early on, but have to wait on muscle memory and dexterity to develop for some consistency.
I personally believe that it's perfectly alright to dabble around a bit as a beginner, in order to stimulate the mind and for motivation. It takes time to develop the necessary skills for advancement. Some beginners tend to  "burn out" when they don't have something to compare by as a new challenge. Those who want to succeed will find the motivation and continue through the basics in order to advance.   

Offline hughesa1

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:56:11 pm »
I am at stage 2 and been doing it for 2 months, at least half an hour per day, though I would say I have had about 2 weeks of days where I did not practice at all. Am I slow?

Mouserjan

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:14:07 pm »
I am at stage 2 and been doing it for 2 months, at least half an hour per day, though I would say I have had about 2 weeks of days where I did not practice at all. Am I slow?

That's about how long it took me. Approx 1 month per stage, although as the stages got harder and I got way busier it's taken longer. I got hung up on stage 6 awful F as it I call it. for quite awhile. It's not a race take as long as you need to get comfortable with each stage.

tmcd35

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »
I'm now at stage 9 and have been going at a roughly 1 stage per week (practising daily).  The last couple of stages have taken a fortnight each.  I think though the lessons have been consolidating what I already knew but hadn't really learned properly of the past 20-odd years.

I think my progress is going to slow down a bit from in on out.  Looking forward to the Beginners Songbook to help put everything I've learned in to practise :D

squatter

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:15 am »
Hi, bit of a bump, but I just signed up to ask in here because I'm very curious.

I'm currently on stage 9 and almost 3 months in.  I'm about half way through all the chord changes.

Anyone else on stage 9 or have completed it?

How long did it take you/How long have you been doing it for so far?

Cheers.

Offline komani86

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »
@squatter: I skipped the BC and went straight into IM (I was learning myself before I found justin) and in the end I mixed the IM with the BC. Some people progress relatively fast, others dont.

It took me to complete IM (+BC stuff that I wanted to learn) about 6 months, but I practiced every day, MADE time to practice and didnt have alot of issues with sore fingers, blisters (just a bit hehe) or grips. It all just happened for me on the acoustic and on the electric its so friggin' easy now. 

I dont miss alot of days practicing now, even if its only for 15 minutes doing speed training and finger dexterity. every bit helps ;)

Oh and, the 4-5months I was playing before was NOTHING compared to the progress I made with the IM/BC course of Justin 6 months after that. If I only knew from the start.

I'm still a beginner though :-*

Offline Devster

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 02:24:52 pm »
I bought myself a guitar about year ago and have been playing consistently for about 7 months.
I started by picking sings I liked and went from there.

However I started to plateau quickly and after watching some of the beginners videos I have realised that I have picked up some seriously bad habits.

Starting from the beginning sucks, but I hope that this is the best way forward.
Thank you Justin for your excellent explanations and showing me the do's and don'ts

Seapriestess

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:57:28 pm »
I started lessons and have had 10 now but watching the video's on here I realise how bad my finger positioning was, so yes I think the best thing to do is go back to the beginning and develop a good technique and practise practise practise!  ;D

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 07:38:12 am »
I agree, it's a good way to go. The good news: all the things you really know will go by quickly, and you'll find out the things that you just think you know. So go for it! :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 07:59:14 am »
Starting from the beginning is the best place to start ;)

Getting rid of bad habbits can be tricky but stick with it and you'll be happier in the long run.

Good luck!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

annie mitchel

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:57 am »
Hi all,
As a very newbie, newbie, I wonder if it would be worth telling us what the bad habits are then we can make extra sure we don't do them. I know I tend to slouch over the guitar sometimes so I know that's a bad a habit - 'cos Justin said.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App