Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2009  (Read 582679 times)

bigoli

Re: So, what are you learning now? 2009
« Reply #400 on: December 24, 2009, 04:12:12 am »
I frequently video myself playing songs. So when I feel like screaming or get frustrated for not perfecting a song I just watch some of my videos from a couple of months back and it makes me feel better to know that I can now play better than I did in the video.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #401 on: December 24, 2009, 12:44:35 pm »
Flatpicking.
I've done enough fingerpicking, time to tackle this.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #402 on: December 24, 2009, 05:25:03 pm »
  Already finished transcribing the rhythm part of Tunnel of Love(it's that easy!). Now to tackle the famous licks and phrases. Also I decided to transcribe ToL instead of Private Investigations because I didnt know where to start with the latter. Gonna look for some covers to get me started after finishing ToL(because its in Dminor; and I know a bunch of MK's licks so I can sort improvise some parts). :)
Check out my roadcase.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #403 on: December 25, 2009, 12:11:28 am »
...if you're low on cash..try Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies...5 or 6 Bucks that are well worth !! those are actually my strings of choice over much more expensive ones.

I agree these are the strings of my choice.  Mine are 9/42!  My were $10 for a set CDN!  Still they are cheap but play definitely like more expensive strings.

Licksnkicks

Oh sorry I'm so wrong.  There 46/9. DUH!!! I'm having one of the days and have been for a while.  Super slinkies!  I just found the stupid package under something. 

Licksnkicks

Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #404 on: December 25, 2009, 01:08:33 am »
I'm gonna get a bunch of strings for my acoustic hopefully. I have Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos mediums (13-56) and d'Addario EXP17 (13-56) on my list now. I wanna go mess with alternate tunings a bit. I'll pick up a set for the electric too.
Production and mixing

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2009, 12:13:55 pm »
Got my bending skills up to speed now and have been using the time available due to holidays to practice soloing over Blues progressions using the first 5 licks from Justin's Blues Lead Guitar series and the minor pentatonic - it all fell into place for me the other night and finally I can noodle along and sound like I know what I'm doing. Also in the same vein I've been practicing using my major scale in all different keys ove the Major Jam backing tracks.

Also transcribed the firt 3 rhythm tracks on RUBS and will return to the first lead solo (that I only got a few bars through) now that my bending skills are better.

Tonight I started learning the Steady Thumb Blues - the 2nd track from Justin's Blues Solo Guitar set.

Also almost finished doing all the exercises in Practical Guitar Theory for the 2nd time (first did it about 8 months ago but wanted to consolidate) much easier 2nd time round but I also picked up a few things (patterns) that I missed 1st go so now a new understandding rather than just rote. Once finished - I will move onto the Chor Construction Guide that I also have with me for the holidays.

I am SO loving all of this!

Cheers, Bootstrap
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2009, 12:27:14 pm »
wow bootstrap you are putting in the hours - keep at it
 :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #407 on: December 29, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
Go Bootstrap! ;)
I should get off video recording and editing and back to my guitar!
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #408 on: December 29, 2009, 03:09:18 pm »
Skipping notes i.e. 1 3 2 5 in the minor scales.  Om'gosh it gets confusing and you really have to put on your thinking cap.  It's so easy to make mistakes.  I must of done the Aminor scale 50 times last night and still can't get it right.

Missing my lesson tonight cuz I'm working which sucks.  Oh well have enuff to keep me busy though.

BTW What the heck is "RUBS"?  Scuse my ignorance.  I have seen this on the forum before and my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Lnk
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #409 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:26 pm »
  Really Useful Blues Solos by Justin Sandercoe. :)
Check out my roadcase.

schect

« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2009, 01:33:49 pm »
Got 'Learn to Play Chuck Berry' and 'Learn to Play Scotty Moore' DVDs for xmas so I know what I'll be doing for the next several months. I'll post reviews when I have time.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2009, 06:40:50 pm »
I was trying to arrange a country-fingerstyle Chet Atkins-walking bass inspired version of Love Story by Taylor Swift. It's quite fun, anyone else into arranging here?
Production and mixing

schect

« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »
Whenever I play something wrong I call it a new arrangement  ;D

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #413 on: December 30, 2009, 08:36:40 pm »
*facepalm*
Well if you go all berzerk on it you can certainly call it that, haha.
Production and mixing

schect

« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:05 pm »
Actually, if you take the song "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" by Gerry and the Pacemakers you can speed it up and make a pretty cool jazz style arrangement. It works because it already uses the Maj7 chords.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #415 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:10 am »

Hey Zkash thank you very much for solving this dilemma for me!  Now I know and have learned something!

Lnk

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:16 pm »
Hey Zkash thank you very much for solving this dilemma for me!  Now I know and have learned something!
Lnk
No problem. :)
Check out my roadcase.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2009, 01:07:53 pm »
I want to learn to use alternate tunings, I understand the idea behind it (easier to finger particular shapes, can free up fingers, etc) but I can't use it yet.
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2009, 06:11:59 pm »
Whenever I play something wrong I call it a new arrangement  ;D

LOL!! Your very own "new" arrangement.  Clever!!

Licksnkicks

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #419 on: December 31, 2009, 07:03:22 pm »
I've got a range of songs and solos I'm learning / have learned...

I want to record and post them on my youtube channel but my camcorder is no longer recognised by my PC - damn and blast

I'll have to figure out another way
 :(

mbarrett12

« Reply #420 on: January 03, 2010, 01:20:05 am »
Got my bending skills up to speed now and have been using the time available due to holidays to practice soloing over Blues progressions using the first 5 licks from Justin's Blues Lead Guitar series and the minor pentatonic - it all fell into place for me the other night and finally I can noodle along and sound like I know what I'm doing. Also in the same vein I've been practicing using my major scale in all different keys ove the Major Jam backing tracks.

Also transcribed the firt 3 rhythm tracks on RUBS and will return to the first lead solo (that I only got a few bars through) now that my bending skills are better.

Tonight I started learning the Steady Thumb Blues - the 2nd track from Justin's Blues Solo Guitar set.

Also almost finished doing all the exercises in Practical Guitar Theory for the 2nd time (first did it about 8 months ago but wanted to consolidate) much easier 2nd time round but I also picked up a few things (patterns) that I missed 1st go so now a new understandding rather than just rote. Once finished - I will move onto the Chor Construction Guide that I also have with me for the holidays.

I am SO loving all of this!

Cheers, Bootstrap

I'm sorry if this is rude, but I have to ask, what was your problem with bending?  It's a simple process and always seemed to come naturally to me.  I don't want to sound elitist or anything, I'm just a little confused when people say they were practicing bends.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2010, 02:12:24 am »
@mbarret12: dude, so the first time you grabbed a guitar, you could bend pitch perfect, both 1/4 step up through 2 notes up, pre-bend, bend-release, add vibrato's to all those,  wide, slow, tight and fast, and do that over most of the neck, and also know where and when to bend good and sound good in all scale positions?  :P well, if you could, good for you, now you know what other people have to practise, if not...well, go practice!  :)
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Get The Forum As A Mobile App