Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2009  (Read 587973 times)

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2009
« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2009, 05:41:54 pm »
  Uhm, tomorrow my exams strat(yes i said strat), so there ain't gonna be too much guitar stuff for me til next wednesday. ::)
Check out my roadcase.

mbarrett12

« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:48 pm »
  Uhm, tomorrow my exams strat(yes i said strat), so there ain't gonna be too much guitar stuff for me til next wednesday. ::)
My christmas exams start on monday, but I'm in "Transition Year" (wikipedia it, it's difficult to explain) so I only have exams in English, Irish, German and Maths.  I only need to study(-ish) for Maths and German.  Still the thought is worse than the process.  I'm trying to learn most of Hot For Teacher atm, got the intro down, the solo might be too tough.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2009, 03:47:06 am »
Got home tonight from my lesson and am learning trills a.k.a consecutive hammer ons and pulls offs.  The pinky OMFG is the hardest finger to do cuz it's the weakest I think in most everyone's case and the top of my forearm is killing me.  Not use to it and I can't really do any strength exercises for my fore arm due to weight constraits cuz of my surgery on my left ulna nerve.  Other than that learned a different way of playing Hey joe with just different ways of playing the chords so I'm not all over the place and learning the intro in parts so that I can focus on perfecting fewer notes at a time.  When I  bite things off in small chunks I'm able to focus better on technique and skill rather than just going for the speed which I'm inadvertently addicted to.  I love playing fast but the faster I go I get sloppy but sometimes just going for the speed makes your brain think differently.  So I guess what I'm saying is sometimes it's good to be sloppy rather than perfect.  I working on scales as well.  So much to learn but so much god damned fun.  I really wish I could see into the future as I would love to see where I am in another year from now.  Oh well, NO crystal ball!! It's only a matter of time!!!

Lnk

BTW, SOMEONE MENTIONED HOW FLUFFY THIS THREAD WAS AND NOW WERE UP TO PAGE 23!!!!!!!!!!  I REALLY THINK THIS IS "NOT" A FLUFFY THREAD AND HENCE IT'S LONGEVITY!!!!!  It's really nice to be able to tell people what your learning cuz somewhere along the way someone will relate to it.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2009, 02:04:20 pm »
  That's the spirit lnk. :)
Check out my roadcase.

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:06 pm »
Im now learning the Outro solo from November Rain by Guns N Roses, and gaaaahh, its not easy shredding up there around the 19th fret on a fat gibson, but its slowly coming together...gonna post myself doing it when its good enough  ;D

@LnK: You should really keep practice hammer ons and pull offs, and with a metronome. thats the key to playing fluid, and fast IMO
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »
I have been trying that Hedges' two-finger hammer-on pull-off thing, I really like it.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #356 on: December 09, 2009, 06:36:30 pm »

@LnK: You should really keep practice hammer ons and pull offs, and with a metronome. thats the key to playing fluid, and fast IMO

You know how fast trills  are.  Can you recommend BPM that I should start off with?  I don't have a metronome yet but will definitely have one by X-mas so I use the on-line one.

I can really do them justice with my middle and ring finger but the pinky will take some time.  This much I'm sure of!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
« Reply #357 on: December 09, 2009, 06:51:47 pm »
@LnK: Well, from my little experience I would say that you should really start at a speed where you do it perfect. Not just very good, but a shiny PERFECT. Even though this might seem so slow that you will probably use 15 years to make it fast, its really this way that is the fastest. Once your fingers kinda "gets it" your speed will really improve alot, and fast. (ofc, I think its also good to just go way beyond the perfect zone sometimes and just give it all you got and play sloppy, but mainly I think most progress is made by doing it perfect and slightly adjusting bpm up.)

About 9 or 10 days ago I made my self a metronome schedule that I have been doing everyday, and Im surprised how it has helped EVERY other aspect of my playing, everything from strumming chords, to playing riffs, to soloing. I even found trying some sweep picking less impossible than it seemed before. Its all about the control you get of your fingers.
My schedule is roughly this.
1: pick a single note
2: Pick four notes per string chromaticly, ascending and descening (it would be tabbed 5-6-7-8 on every string)
3: Pick a scale of two octaves ascending and descending (like from 5 fret A string to 10 fret e string) In a 4 up 2 down pattern, that changes when suitable.
4: same as 3, but with hammer ons and pull offs wherever possible.
I also keep a record of my fastest ever run, and of a good start bpm, and then start at the start bpm and work to the record and try to bump it. I also keep seperate bpm's for up and down, since down goes faster. thrills are also good, but i feel that they mainly are good for strength, not control. (even though I realize that is connected)

EDIT: wow..megapost...it wasnt this big in my head... =P

Offline MadCat

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Kassel-Germany
« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2009, 07:14:34 pm »
Learning "until it sleeps", now. It's a quite simple but heavy song.
Even the solo isn't very hard.
My gear is here

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2009, 12:47:34 am »
Hey thanks Marcusmarkmus for the advice.  I do have to wait until X-mas for my metronome but will try some of what you advise with the on line one.  I do agree that trills will give you added strength and and not really anything technical.  They sound very cool though especially in a rock riff.  I haven't really used them in anything yet and have just been practicing them all over the neck.  My forearm though can only take about 10 minutes of the intensity and then I have to back right off.  So I think for me 10 minutes a day right now would be max for me.  Maybe as things get stronger I will be able to lengthen the time I practice this consecutive hammer on and hammer off.

Thanks a million for your advise.  Some food for thought!

Licksnkicks

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2009, 12:57:27 am »
I wonder who's suffering more, me or the guitar... Trying to get that slap technique down that is used in fingerstyle. Now my right hand is sick of it, probably my guitar too.
Production and mixing

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
« Reply #361 on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:09 am »
no prob LnK. I'm sure you'll find a great way to practice, its great if you got inspired by stuff :). If there's someone that are able to turn this around and come out of it stronger than ever, its you! Or I would think so after reading your posts around. Seems you have the most important talent of them all: motivation, and the ability to just keep at it!  ;)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #362 on: December 10, 2009, 04:52:26 am »
no prob LnK. I'm sure you'll find a great way to practice, its great if you got inspired by stuff :). If there's someone that are able to turn this around and come out of it stronger than ever, its you! Or I would think so after reading your posts around. Seems you have the most important talent of them all: motivation, and the ability to just keep at it!  ;)

Your words are so very kind.  Thank you.  You see all I have in my life to make me happy now (so much family crap going on right now)is my guitar.  I really do love it more than anyone will ever know.  It gives me knowledge, happiness in copious amounts and lets me destress without the use of drugs or alcohol.  It's been my life safer so far from passing over to the dark side of life.  I know at the end of a stressful day all I have to do is pick it up and a strum a few bars and I'm instantly transported to another world.  What more could you ask from a piece of wood, some metal and plastic?  My teacher says that I'm motivated to succeed!

Licksnkicks
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:58:39 am by licksnkicks »

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #363 on: December 11, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »
Finally had a go at transposing the first lead on RUBS - got the first lick easy peasey because I've been studying Justin's Blues Lead Guitar too and I recognised it straight off.

Couldn't get the next note so cheated by asking my wife what the 4th note in the tab was - but then got another 2 bars all on my lonesome (well at least I think I have - I will check eventually). Gave up when it obviously went to lower notes because I had NFI what to play - but I didn't look at the tab and will go back to it fresh at some stage over the weekend.

I've also been really working my full tone bends to the point where my fingertips are shredded, my hand is sore and my thumb feels like it was recently dislocated - getting the technique just so is still proving hit and miss for me but I'm determined to improve on the damn electric contraption!

B
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2009, 04:36:30 pm »
I downloaded RUBS yesterday and hopefully will have a bit of spae time to get stuck in to the Albert King track

also been working on several songs with the aim of recording some over the fesetive holiday season as I have some time off ... (if I can get my PC to recognise my video camera as it has stopped working ... grrr)

:)

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2009, 05:13:53 pm »
  Trying to do the duckwalk while playing Walk of Life, still trying. But I just have trouble with that ending part of the part of the main riff that leads into the verse(after going back to the A, there's this bass run that I just can't figure out). :)

EDIT: Figured it out. Plus: I have mastered Sultans of Swing! Man I've been learning(and transcribing ;)) since September. Finally, I can get some rest.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 02:07:00 pm by zkash_guitarist »
Check out my roadcase.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #366 on: December 13, 2009, 11:17:45 pm »
I'm learning a good but frustrating lesson - you can overcook it!

Having last Monday and Tuesday off work I played for hours and hours, then Wednesday, Thursday & Friday night I played 3 to 4 hours each night with an emphasis on full tone bends (new technique for me) - tried to play Saturday but my left thumb, from the bottom of the nail down through the back of the thumb and around into the fleshy part on the palm was aching terribly. So no playing Sunday and today (it is Monday here mid morning now) my hand still aches so lots of ice and nuerofen gel.

My normal practice/playing session is 1 to 3 hours every day, so obviously I just increased it too much, too quickly and the new (and possibly faulty) action of full tone bends has taken its toll.

Looks like back to the Yale vids tonight for a bit of brain training and hopefully the hand will come good soon.

You live and learn :)
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

mbarrett12

« Reply #367 on: December 14, 2009, 10:48:54 pm »
  Trying to do the duckwalk while playing Walk of Life, still trying. But I just have trouble with that ending part of the part of the main riff that leads into the verse(after going back to the A, there's this bass run that I just can't figure out). :)

EDIT: Figured it out. Plus: I have mastered Sultans of Swing! Man I've been learning(and transcribing ;)) since September. Finally, I can get some rest.
Any help for two parts of it? They're both in the second solo, the pull off thing around the 8th fret and then the last-ish riff where you pull off from 13 to 10 then move it up to 15th.  I'm playing with a pick and finding it quite hard to get speed without screwing up.

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #368 on: December 15, 2009, 07:04:42 am »
Any help for two parts of it? They're both in the second solo, the pull off thing around the 8th fret and then the last-ish riff where you pull off from 13 to 10 then move it up to 15th.  I'm playing with a pick and finding it quite hard to get speed without screwing up.

Pull off thing at 8th fret? Never heard that part. The second one I do know it.It goes after last pull-off on the b(its all on the b)

Code: [Select]
e:-13-10---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
b:-------13-10---15--17p15-18-15--15--17p15-18-15-17-17-17--17p15-17-17-17--15--17p15-18-15--15--17p15-18-15-17-17-17-18b-18b-18b-15
Check out my roadcase.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2009, 01:47:24 am »
Tonight was just brain overload.  My teacher and I played scales playing 1234, 2345 etc, skipping notes in the scale 135, 246 playing random notes OMG! Practicing the G major chord and A major chord for Hey joe.  Then lettin' loose and playing AC/DC Back in Black.  I finally got the whole song down!!!! YEAH!! FRIGGIN YEAH!!!  It just needs to be cleaned up a bit.  How much more fun could you ask for?  OMG I love my teacher!!  He's so genuine and teaching what I think is the proper way and not just throwing songs at me to learn.  YEAH FOR HONEST AND EASY ON THE EYES TEACHERS  Oh ya, HOT FOR TEACHER comes to mind!  lol

Off to practice those damned scales!!! I know I will learn to love them though, just a tad frustrating.

Licksnkicks

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »
Fourth week of learning Drifting, just played it at full speed along the record to get used to the (actually pretty high) tempo. Nearly everything is in place and on cue when I need it. It's so much fun to play. I hope to record and put it up here soon.
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #371 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:36 pm »
This thread was deemed too fluffy but OMG doesn't it show how incredibly motivated we all are!!!  Some people on this thread are struggling to play thngs and boy when they get it, they sure do deserve bragging rights.  Then we have our resident excellent player Mr. Close2u who I don't think really has to practice as much as us newbs and intermediate players.  I went to his channel and that boy can play.  Talented YES and wow I just love his red guitar.  Don't know what kind it is but it is a beaut!  I'm just motivated by watching his vids cuz I know for sure one day I will be there too.  Not a dream but it's reality. 

Licksnkicks

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #372 on: December 17, 2009, 12:56:16 am »
Forget those topics I started!
I couldn't stand it anymore!
Now what?
Well I just started transcribing (not writing anything down actually) Classical Gas, and it's really cool.
I'm now twenty seconds into the song in just a couple of minutes. This is gonna be fun!
Anyone wanna join? :P
Production and mixing

bigoli

« Reply #373 on: December 17, 2009, 04:58:59 am »
Then we have our resident excellent player Mr. Close2u
That is a nice channel, very skilled. I cant wait till get good enough to unleash my own channel on youtube. You guys will just have to sit tight until feb/mar (hopefully). If only I started playing earlier... I kick myself every day thinking about that :-\

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #374 on: December 17, 2009, 05:39:37 am »
If only I started playing earlier... I kick myself every day thinking about that :-\

I beat myself up over this issue all the time.  Like why the hell didn't I start this 20 years earlier.  Think where I would be now!!!
I really really regret this!  I'm playing my fingers off to the bone now everyday and really,  what's past is past.  Dont' you wish you could undo your past sometimes.

Licksnkicks

Get The Forum As A Mobile App