Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2009  (Read 584596 times)

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 172
  • Like Tuesday; Gone, with the Wind.
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2009
« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2009, 01:53:53 pm »
it should also get rid of those deeps grooves in my fingertips over time, I reckon.  :P

Don't bet on it, i've been playing for 11 years now, still get the grooves, even with calluses.

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:53 pm »
Since I just figured out for the 5th time within the last 3 months that I'm fretting the strings as if I was trying to drive them through the fingerboard, I'll be making extremely conscious efforts now to work on a much lighter touch. That should help me not only to be able to play for much longer without fatigue and change chords so much easier, it should also get rid of those deeps grooves in my fingertips over time, I reckon.  :P

I just had the same amazing realization, as I was playing with my capo.

I was like "Man, the string aren't touching the fretboard, but yet I'm afraid I'm about to break my capo tightening it." That I was like "OOOOOH! THE STRINGS ONLY NEED TO TOUCH THE FRETS!"

Frets are actually defined as the little metal bar, so only enough pressure needs to be applied to touch the string to said little metal bar.

Sl8sh

« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2009, 02:48:15 am »
I finally got blank CD's today.  Will start burning the songs I want to learn sometime between tonight and tomorrow. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2009, 03:28:59 am »
Learned how to play natural harmonics all over the neck and it sounds so awesomely cool.  I just have to remember a very light touch on the strings is all that is needed.  Delving further into the solo on Ozzy's Paranoid song.  Also got those nasty bar chords almost down to a science with of course Justins advice of using the side of your barring finger and of course still practicing my scales but now they don't sound like boring scales as I'm finally able to let loose and make up songs out of the scales as I go along.  So much to learn and so much to practice but having a blast doing so.

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Sl8sh

« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2009, 04:47:49 am »
I have to ask LnK:  What is a natural harmonic on the guitar? 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2009, 02:49:05 pm »
I think I want to learn McKee's Rylynn. I only got up to the tuning and some little bits that I could pick out. :P
I only seem to have a blast with learning songs, practicing specific things never gets me going, if I need it i will eventually learn it anyway... :D
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

julienarrijs

« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »

natural harmonic as oposed to pinch harmonics (i'm guessing your familiar with those :) ) are just the combination of picking the string and applying a really soft pressure on the string (not making the string touching the fret, you just softly touch the string) on the 12th, 7th, 5th fret (right on the fret not before) wich lets the harmonic rings. SRV does it in Lenny for example. It works on all the frets but it's a lil more tricky since on the 3rd fret the harmonic will ring on 3.2 rd and not right on the fret so you have to get used to those particular spacings to get it right...wich requires much training :)

i hope i made it clear...i think justin has a lesson on it.

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2009, 04:32:30 pm »

Go here http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AA-000-LessonIndex.php and scroll down to the Techniques section, where there are lessons on different types of Harmonics.

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

Kevin A

« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2009, 04:39:45 pm »
Currently going through a range of songs and trying to delvelop my singing/playing technique and also experiment with strumming patterns

Sl8sh

« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2009, 05:36:11 pm »
Thanks guys for the links.  I feel like an idiot.  I've been so busy with homework and college applications.  However, I've managed my time better so that way I can still play a little guitar. 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:37 pm »
Thanks guys for the links.  I feel like an idiot.  I've been so busy with homework and college applications.  However, I've managed my time better so that way I can still play a little guitar. 
Good, because here the homework makes way for the guitar. :P
Currently going through a range of songs and trying to delvelop my singing/playing technique and also experiment with strumming patterns

Cool! :)
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2009, 09:15:27 pm »
I'm now on page 20, 21-ish of A Modern Method for Guitar book 1.  And I now have the first part of the intro solo to paradise city down almost at tempo.  However, there are some tricky things that I can hear that I can't do yet.  Almost there though. 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2009, 09:17:33 pm »
Is there anyone on here that can play Rylynn by Andy McKee?
Just wondering... ;)
I want to learn it sometime.
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2009, 03:52:49 am »
No.  Intersting song though.  I looked it up. 

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2009, 06:44:48 am »
I'm hoping that if I ever master this F barre I will try Already Gone by the Eagles.

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2009, 07:09:12 am »
  F chord in Already Gone? ???
Check out my roadcase.

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2009, 09:23:43 am »
going off this

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2009, 08:24:27 am »
  If I were you, I wouldn't trust that tab. Some chords aren't even in the key of G. ::)
Check out my roadcase.

Strat0Blues

« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2009, 03:49:23 pm »
Finally learning some bluesy rhythm ;D

Sl8sh

« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:38 pm »
Finally learned the rhythm guitar part to TNT.  I could never figure out the rhythm when I listened to it so my teacher showed me.  Except this upcoming friday is my last lesson.  I could only pay for three lessons with my birthday money.  I'll find a way to go back and get more lessons!!!

Offline bunnahowen

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:49 am »
I just got back from my guitar lesson with my teacher and I am learning Lynard Skynards Simple man.  It's not that hard but takes a lot of concentration.  It's always fun to learn something thats also a challenge.

So tell me, WHAT ARE YOU LEARNING NOW? I'm always interested in what everybody is learning.  We can always trade little tips and tricks.

Licksnkicks

I am just finishing stage three of the beginners course and making steady progress but i wanted to share that yesterday when i started practising my guitar really spoke to me for the first time. i was able to form chords with less pressure and strum gently and the buzzes disappeared or at least most of them. it was truly magical. managing to sing a few Hank Williams songs that do not use too many chords. In particular " May you never be alone". Started looking at the Lisa Hannigan song LIlle and managed to sing along using E and A quite effectively. Capo on 2nd fret. Could probably do with a couple more chords to improve it further. Any suggestions welcomed.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2009, 05:46:37 am »
I'm hoping that if I ever master this F barre I will try Already Gone by the Eagles.
I have to ask LnK:  What is a natural harmonic on the guitar?  

natural harmonic as oposed to pinch harmonics (i'm guessing your familiar with those :) ) are just the combination of picking the string and applying a really soft pressure on the string (not making the string touching the fret, you just softly touch the string) on the 12th, 7th, 5th fret (right on the fret not before) wich lets the harmonic rings. SRV does it in Lenny for example. It works on all the frets but it's a lil more tricky since on the 3rd fret the harmonic will ring on 3.2 rd and not right on the fret so you have to get used to those particular spacings to get it right...wich requires much training :)

i hope i made it clear...i think justin has a lesson on it.

Hey Myfingertipshurt about that stupid F barre chord it's just a matter of turn your barring finger sort of on it's side if that was the problem and if not tell us what's going on with that effing F chord and we'll  try to help you with it.

Julie aren't natkural harmonics a blast.  I love doing them on the 5 th, 7th, and 12th fets where they sound so cool.  Now I'm starting to find them all over the neck and my next challenge is to compose a song just using natural harmonics.  

Forgot to add that I'm finally starting to learn Ain't talking bout love by Van Halen and I have the first part of the intro down cold.  I will practice this song forever how long it takes me.

Licksnkicks

Lnk

Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:14 pm »
  Learned the You Shook Me All Night Long solo(courtesy of Justin), and Smells Like Teen Spirit(courtesy of Marty). Also I have become Thunderstruck(hope you understand the little joke ;))
Check out my roadcase.

julienarrijs

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2009, 02:33:42 pm »

Julie aren't natkural harmonics a blast.  I love doing them on the 5 th, 7th, and 12th fets where they sound so cool.  Now I'm starting to find them all over the neck and my next challenge is to compose a song just using natural harmonics.  

[/quote]

well to be honest i use them sometimes but i'm not as enthousiast about it as you seem to be

nevertheless there's something that can inspire you in your composition challenge , the 7 seconds at the beginning of the video are mostly harmonics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK57dUuaYpY&feature=PlayList&p=5B53588EC6D9C949&index=0&playnext=1

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2009, 11:14:05 pm »
Thanks Julie for the link.  An absolutely amazing song!!  It just makes me miserable though to think that Jason Becker will never play again because of his MS!  Damned disease knows no boundaries!! :( :'(

Licksnkicks

Get The Forum As A Mobile App