Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2009  (Read 584625 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2009
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2009, 01:27:09 am »
Wow.  It takes me longer to transcribe stuff.  Maybe I need more work on transcribing.  
It's not wow at all, here's some more detail.
It's nothing detailed, I think I got all the chords down during that single playback, it's really really easy, that might have been why I got it down that quick. I came up with the chords G, C, D, Am, Bm. Also got down 2 riffs that happen in the song, the C to D strum and the G-Gsus4'ish thigny.

If I'd do it the true way I'd usually do it it'd take me hours because I tend to go really really detailed, and then just forsake most of the work I put into the writing of the tabs and then just play something that sounds close enough.
Oh well, it is a good practice anyway.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2009, 03:58:43 am »
Everyone transcribes in their own way and process I think. 

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2009, 04:38:38 am »
i'm working on
-"constant motion" from Dream theater, i'm working on the rythm parts.. a few cool riffs if you dig metal..quiet easy to grasp too.
-"Air" from jason becker, one of the best in neoclassical...

I love Dream Theatre.  There music is very emotional for me.  It reaches out an touches me like no other kind music style can.  I love there album Six degrees of inner turbulence.  I still listen to it at least once a week.

Jason Becker was amazing and too bad about his MS.  Diseases know no boundaries.  He is absolutely an amazing  guitar player.  It makes me so sad to know that he can never play again.

I'm learning barre chords and holy mother of god there not easy!I can get some of the strings to ring out while others are muted . 

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »
"I'm learning barre chords and holy mother of god there not easy!I can get some of the strings to ring out while others are muted . "

Definitely. OK now I've started Whole Lotta Rosie(as always Malcolm's rhythm part). I've left Money for Nothing, and started transcribing "Walk of Life".

Check out my roadcase.

Sl8sh

« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2009, 05:55:44 pm »
I've gotten farther in A Modern Method for Guitar Book 1.  However, I'm learning Hall of the Moutain King on piano (by myself) and maybe I'll figure out a way to play it on guitar like Apocalyptica.  Except they use distorted cellos!  Awesome!!!

Quark

« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »
SRV's version of Willie Dixon's "You'll be Mine"

W

Sl8sh

« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2009, 04:40:34 am »
Also I'm working on French Horn concerto's for auditions. 

:P

Not fun when you have to play both expressively and rhythmically correct with a metronome with correct style of playing.  More complex than guitar.  Chugg straight eighth notes, head bang, and have fun.  That I can do. 

julienarrijs

« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »
to licksnkicks :

well hang in there ! you also have to consider the fact when playing bar chords, that your skin, even on the side of your fingers, might be a little too soft, after some practice it'll get thicker and the bar chords won't require as much pressure to ring clearly.

I mostly play lead guitar and solos, i do not fancy much playing rythm, so i don't play bar chords much, when i get back to something with bar chords it usually takes me a couple day to get them clear again.

when i started to learn the guitar i was playing mostly rythm and my bar chords soon became where very good even on my high action acoustic with 12-53 strings on it...i remember that i used the song "coffee and tv" from blur as a bar chords workout, since justin version is an only bar chords one...plus it's really easy to get, u'll get it down in like 10 mins and it's quiet catchy ! ...in fact i think i might even make it a part of my routine again.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2009, 01:15:18 pm »
I'm working on the solo's of november rain.. for solo 3 I find remembering the notes harder than playing them ;o
practice practice practice !  :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2009, 02:12:36 pm »
I'm working on the solo's of november rain.. for solo 3 I find remembering the notes harder than playing them ;o
practice practice practice !  :)

Cool! I've always had trouble memorising Slash solos.
Check out my roadcase.

Sl8sh

« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2009, 04:08:31 pm »
Slash's solo's are the best challenge ever for me to play.  There's a mix of style's and technique's that he uses. 

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2009, 05:01:47 pm »
I kinda got Blackbird sorted... I was going to post it here but I changed my mind.
Production and mixing

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »
post it ... don't tease

:D

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2009, 07:13:03 pm »
Nah I'd be feeling terribly out of place even more than now.
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2009, 08:14:18 pm »
My guitar teacher just this past friday is teaching me the lead parts to Pardise City and Sweet Child O' Mine.  I got the rhythm parts down, but after he saw how quickly I was picking up what he was teaching me he's started me on lead so we'll see how it goes. 

Offline agj

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 8
  • Live in Didcot, Oxfordshire
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2009, 10:15:02 pm »
2 songs I'm learning at the moment, Justin's new video, Needle and the Damage Done, I wasn't familier with the song but I came up with a similar riff/chord progresion/melody ages ago and was struck on how to build on it then I saw Justins' latest offering.  The other one is Little Wing, only just started, again from Justins' lessons.
Squier Affinity Telecaster Texas Special pick ups, Kit built Telecaster, HB ST57 DG Strat Modified, Ibanez GIO Bass, Boss Nextone Stage 40 Amp

br />My Roadcase http://www.justinguitar.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937.0<br

Sl8sh

« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2009, 11:37:34 pm »
Quick question:

Does anyone know where to get blank CD's that you can record or copy music too?  There are songs that I want to learn with my teacher and the CD's that I was using, my computer spit them out several times because in the end they weren't correctly formatted.  I think I have to get new CD's. 

Help? 

myfingertipshurt

« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2009, 08:28:01 am »
@ Sl8sh
I just buy mine from Wal-Mart.

I usually get the cheapest ones available.

Sounds like you may be using CD-Rs that somebody has already tried to write to and failed.
If you've already used some CD burning program to initiate the write process it turns said CD into a beer coaster.

Does your family have access to your stash? lol

Maybe you just got a bad batch of CDs (dunno if that even happens).

Less likely of an explanation, is your CD-R drive in good working order? How long has it been burning CDs fine for ya?

More to the thread topic I just started wonderwall! I keep finding myself adding a bunch of extra strumming and playing with the melody and just downright improvising and jamming out. This is probably bad, trying to learn the song for what it is, but damn is it a blast.

Sl8sh

« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2009, 05:55:25 pm »
I've never burned a CD before but I have all the appropriate programs to do so.  I'll see if there's a Wal Mart near where I live.  However, I saw some at Target.  Maybe I'll go there.......

Offline yallu

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »
I'm trying to widen my (still very much narrow) horizons position and lick wise. I'm jammin with BB King, slowish songs like "I'll Survive", "There Must Be A Better World Somewhere", "Guess Who", "Ghetto Woman", "Please Accept My Love", "Sweet Sixteen" etc. Not trying to play his solos but just playing with him so to speak :). Great tool for me to get new (much needed) depth to my playing. I was a bit stuck on pretty monotonic scales up and down with the compulsory bends, very shallow, very "mathematical", no soul... I feel I'm making real progress now - sounding better day by day. :) But it's hard on my fingertips, I suddenly find myself playing 3-4 hrs in a row bending hard and not even knowing passing of time... Still, I love it! ;D

Anyways, any other BB style artists with slowish blues songs you can recommend?

schect

« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2009, 08:18:31 pm »
Getting ready for a small jam session so working on:

Let's Stay Together - Al Green
The Weight - The Band
Midnight Hour - Wicked Wilson Pickett
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - The Animals
Green River - CCR
Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats, trying to clean up the solo
solos for Get Back
I Can See Clearly - Johnny Nash
Love Potion Number 9 - Searchers
and a few others

It's all great fun!

Lucianot

« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2009, 08:43:06 pm »
I'm trying to learn "Capricho Arabe" on the classic guitar. I've got some by ear so checked a couple of videos and I wasn't so far so I'll give a try, I got the first couple of bars but is not easy, I am too slow at the moment.

Linsen

« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »
Since I just figured out for the 5th time within the last 3 months that I'm fretting the strings as if I was trying to drive them through the fingerboard, I'll be making extremely conscious efforts now to work on a much lighter touch. That should help me not only to be able to play for much longer without fatigue and change chords so much easier, it should also get rid of those deeps grooves in my fingertips over time, I reckon.  :P

Sl8sh

« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2009, 01:51:55 am »
I've made further progress in my Modern Method for Guitar Book 1.  And I think I managed (with my guitar teacher's help) to figure out the rest of the intro solo to Paradise City.  I'm not sure, but I'm going to surprise him on friday. 

Lucianot

« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2009, 09:02:28 am »
That should help me not only to be able to play for much longer without fatigue and change chords so much easier, it should also get rid of those deeps grooves in my fingertips over time, I reckon.  :P

Yes, tension is the enemy, I should work on that too.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App