Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)  (Read 457070 times)

Strat0Blues

Re: So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »
Preaching Gospel Blues

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 07:08:43 pm »
Some-where ov-er the rain-bow...
_____5__4______2__3__5_____6___________ e
___________5____________2_____5________ B
__2____________________________________ G
_______________________________________ D
_______________________________________ A
_______________________________________ E

Mostly a one finger type thing but it has really helped me with strength, I just got no rythm or chords perfected! Want the rest of the tabs?

I'd Highly recommend you take a look at Israel Kamakawiwo'oles version if you aren't already familiar with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFkXQKCuBc
Meant for a uke but a guitar is fine with a capo.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Offline JC

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 04:13:05 am »
JC you obviously have the drive and the passion to make this happen.  I know you will nail this sooner or later.  Just being a newb like myself great challenges lay ahead of us both!  A lot of people take up guitar and then when the going gets tough they can't tough it out.  That's what makes us different from them.  I'm getting frustrated trying learn all the notes on the neck, the major scale positions and trying to keep up with the beginners course level 3 and learning a new song with my teacher.  I won't ever wave the white flag.  That's the way I am with everything though and this kind of thinking has done me justice!

Licksnkicks

Thanks for the encouragement! :)  I'm in despair from time to time, but I won't give up. I find it hard to be really diciplined though, in my learning. It's like, I don't know... there's too much "input" from all directions, if that makes sense..  :P  Having a private teacher would of course help immensely, but I would never be able to afford that...

cheers
JC

"Förr var det nu fast jävligare desto värre. Men så här jävla sämre har det tamejfan aldrig varit dåligt!" - Refaat El-Sayed -

amok1

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 06:09:43 am »
I've been putting this song off for years now so I'm going to start figuring out SRV's Lenny.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 01:24:19 am »
I'm learning the first five minutes of Stairway to Heaven (from Justin's lesson), trying to play it as close to the real thing as possible...

Also trying to learn American Pie (also from Justin's lesson), but I tend to forget which chord comes when, since the song is so long. ^^

I have been playing more stuff lately, but I'd be too ashamed if i put it here. :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 439
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 06:19:12 am »
hey, no shame in learning, post your stuff, it's a great way for everyone to learn, seeing and hearing others progress

:) :) :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »
Alright, alright. ^^
I'm learning Teardrops On My Guitar by Taylor Swift.
I started transcribing it a couple of days ago and it's WAY harder than i thought.
I tried with tabs but they contained way less detail than I was looking for.
The thing that's really bugging me at the moment is that I can hardly listen through vocals, so I just made some assumptions on some patterns.
Tried taking out the vocals, took the guitar along with it, so that didn't work.
I have a karaoke version, but it doesn't have the picking patterns I am transcribing -_-

I'm also using some other songs to practice some barré chords I can't play, the Em shaped barré chord and the Asus2 shaped barré chord (dang).

Also a new thought popped into my mind when I woke up. I might try learning the solo from More Than A Feeling by Boston, I think it'd make an easy one to start with.
I have been playing for like 3 years (campfire-style xD) but now I'm serious about learning guitar.
Production and mixing

Strat0Blues

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2009, 11:09:37 pm »
I've been putting this song off for years now so I'm going to start figuring out SRV's Lenny.

Well here is a fairly sound cover. Mind you If you I would only watch this if you want to get an idea of where everything is played on the fretboard ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWK2IhU0sD8

lleitzke

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2009, 11:33:27 pm »
my biggest on I'm workin on is sweet child o mine, i can play the first 2 solos perfect, and the the riffs, and the rythm (when he plucks it out my timing is a bit off but i dont have a foot pedal so i usually just play power chords there for now)

my problem being in the last solo right when he kicks in the wah pedal so sweet but so difficult to get the slides and the timing...

the other song (since if i only do one song i tend to get  bored) , being night train by GNR the rhythm after the intro is tough cuz hes always doing something different, otherwise the first solo isnt too bad, is the amazing outro solo that ill be stuck on for a bit  ;D

charlieguitars

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2009, 01:01:04 am »
Sweet child of mine intro and a variety of cool rhythms.  I'm excited because my friend PJ just agreed to record me some drum backbeats.

amok1

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 02:30:11 am »
Strato... ;D ;D ;D thanks for reminding me why I keep putting this song off.  I've been transcribing all night and I'm playing the intro totally different than this guy, but he seems to play it like SRV, so I'm gonna have to work on it a little...I always seem to have a problem learning the "rhythm" part of songs, the leads come fairly easily, I've never really understood that about my playing.  ???

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 04:48:02 pm »
I'm still learning Christmas When You Were Mine by Taylor Swift, it's really fun to play imo. I can sing it too but hell who wants to hear that...? :P

Also I transcribed Dust In The Wind (lol) by Kansas in one day, however not the bridge which I sorted out yesterday and today. Trying to play at the original tempo already, really fun to play.

Thinking of starting with arranging a fingerstyle version for a song (would be my first try), I'd love to get into that.

And lastly I'd like to learn Extreme - More Than Words, which would take me a while since I have a tendency to transcribe really, really detailed resulting into me playing it without my own touch.
Production and mixing

Kevin A

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »
Oasis - Stand By Me (Looking at that tonight)
David Bowie - Starman
Might look at Sweet Child of Mine but not sure.

schect

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 05:00:32 pm »
Currently working on all the little rockabilly riffs to The Beatles "I Feel Fine", and just starting "Get Back". Both for next weeks sessions.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 05:04:14 pm »
I'm on level 4 of the beginners course. 

With my new teacher I'm learning some rock licks in A minor pentatonic scales.  Can't do them fast but they sound wicked.  I also am fooling around with my whammy bar.  It's a blast.

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Get The Forum As A Mobile App