Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)  (Read 529622 times)

schect

Re: So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2009, 12:36:50 pm »
"Sultans of Swing" - Thank you Justin

First time I've tried playing without a pick, boy do I suck at it!

davemoss

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2009, 01:27:08 pm »
Everybody Hurts by REM is a nice easy song to start finger-picking. I just run through it nice and slowly for about 5 minutes a day and it's coming along. :)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2009, 01:15:59 am »
I'm learning the G7, GMaj7 and Gmin7 chords, licks from the solo in Black Sabbath's Paranoid song and natural harmonics on the 5th, 7th, and 12th frets.  They sound totally cool and not that hard to do once you get the hang of them. 

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »
I'm trying to 'sing' along with what I play on the guitar.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2009, 03:37:42 pm »

Good for you that you can sing.  I betcha you sound pretty okay.  I can sing but I sound like a bull frog with something caught in it's throat.  I'm not always on key and my hubby often tells me to "shut up" jokingly.  He says if he wants to hear the song that I'm trying to sing he would rather put on the CD and listen to the song rather than me trying to sing it or rather croak it.  lol

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Vincent

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2009, 03:55:15 pm »
I went for my first live lesson Monday.  The guy was apparently impressed with what I had accomplished on my own.  My head told me that this was just "teacher praising Student" to build confidence. I was still proud to hear the words even though they might not have been 100% sincere.

Anyhow....he decided to turn me loose on the Let It Be solo.  He transcribed the first 2 "phrases" and time ran out.  I spent the last 2 evenings transcribing the rest and think I got it down.  Currently, I'm working on getting some of the slides and timing of them cleaned up at about 60% tempo.  Once thats cleaned up and under my fingers - I'll work on speeding it up.

Friends ask if the lesson was worth it money wise.....hard to tell.  I left with more confidence but I can't say that I "learned" anything.  I gotta give the guy a break, he had no idea where I was or where I wanna be.  I'm gonna give him 3 more shots and make a call on "value" after that.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 170
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »

I can sing but I sound like a bull frog with something caught in it's throat. 

Jeremiah was a bullfrog,
he was good friend of mine.
I never understood a single word he said
but I helped him drink his wine

hehe had to do that    CCR :p

vincent; good plan.
ask him what he thinks about your level, what needs training and how he's goign to handle that

you'll have an immediate idea on how he assesses the situation and how well his view is :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »

Good for you that you can sing.  I betcha you sound pretty okay.  I can sing but I sound like a bull frog with something caught in it's throat.  I'm not always on key and my hubby often tells me to "shut up" jokingly.  He says if he wants to hear the song that I'm trying to sing he would rather put on the CD and listen to the song rather than me trying to sing it or rather croak it.  lol

Licksnkicks
You should be encouraged by someone like that, not made fun of. :)

Who said I can actually sing? :P
I got a 9/10 in class for singing, about 1.5 years ago, but something tells me that was just because I was the only one who played the guitar and sang at once.

I think I'm on key most of the time.
Recently I started checking out online vocal lessons, just like I follow online guitar lessons from Justin. :D
I have been doing them exercises for about a week or so and everytime after I finish I feel my voice being clearer and louder, with more tone.

I do however fall sometimes over 2 rhythms (singing and guitar) going at the same time, for instance I'm trying to play Dust In The Wind while singing the lyrics to it, and once I get to the Dm I mess up the singing part as well as the guitar bit.

I think I'm gonna record myself pretty soon... Not sure if I can find enough courage to put it on YouTube though. :D
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2009, 10:23:40 pm »
Right on Lieven with the CCR song.   lol

Cue Zephyr his kidding is all in good fun!

I was thinking of recording myself with the little song that I made up with the tiny solo too.  I just have to get the courage up. 

I told my teacher that I was using Justins site to learn from as well as what he is teaching me and he was very fine with that.  I would give your teacher a little bit of time or a couple of more lessons and then make a judgement call after all it's your money and your time.

Licksnkicks

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2009, 12:08:54 am »
Cue Zephyr his kidding is all in good fun!
Ah alright then, good! :D

------------------------

How weird do you  think it is for a dude to cover a song that was originally sang by a girl one octave up?
Like, my vocal range is from E3 to C5, if I did that correctly...

Anyway, think I'd have to wait until I get the microphone I want, so I can reocrd my vocals with better quality, and then I can just plug my guitar in (I have a 2-channel interface yay).

Dammit I have to start working on my fingerstyle arrangement for 'an existing song' again...
Production and mixing

Sl8sh

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2009, 03:23:12 am »
Singing and playing for me is really tough.  I can do one, or the other but not both yet......at least not really well.  As much as I can count, singing is where I truly do things by ear.  My range, the last it was checked, was from C3 to A5 naturally which is almost three octaves.  I like that I have vocal range and an immense amount of vocal control, but it's no use when you have no idea what you're doing.  And I can't sing without the record.  I sing on key without it but for whatever reason I sing in a different key and on tune when the record is not playing.     

Offline JoeShmo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2009, 04:17:05 am »
Have you tried just singing with the metronome, then singing and playing together?

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
C3 to A5 is pretty impressive.
I usually practice very very slowly to listen where the syllables go while playing guitar, to make sure I do it right.
Production and mixing

julienarrijs

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2009, 02:45:14 pm »
i'm working on

-"constant motion" from Dream theater, i'm working on the rythm parts.. a few cool riffs if you dig metal..quiet easy to grasp too.
-"Air" from jason becker, one of the best in neoclassical...this thing is quiet HARD, i migh be on it for quiet a while
-"Tears in the rain" from joe satriani, from justin lessons, it's very relaxing and beautiful song
-the solo from "everyday i have the blues " from john mayer trio

i'm kinda multitasking here :) i always work that way, i can't stay focus for too long on one song, it bores me.

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2009, 02:48:26 pm »
I found this chart in wikipedia and thought it rather interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_range#Vocal_range_in_terms_of_frequency
It compares vocalist ranges and instrument ranges in one chart
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

Get The Forum As A Mobile App