Author Topic: New Help with Creativity  (Read 1135 times)

Offline FullyCharged

• Good Vibes 0
New Help with Creativity
« on: November 17, 2019, 05:00:49 pm »
Sup everyone

I'm the guitarist (mainly rhythm) of a local band and I've encountered a problem with my creativity.
Some years ago i had some reasonably good riffs ideas and some interesting ones. Nowadays i have more difficulty to invent something else, seems like i'm stuck in the same "pattern" or group of notes, which brings me a little down to the point that i play less guitar now (this is a mixture of lack of will power and other factors). In my opinion i see myself as an intermediate guitar player, lacking some skills and freatboard/theoretical knowledge.

Any comments, suggestions, tips?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 539
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: New Help with Creativity
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:04:52 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I feel for you.
In a band but in a rut.
You don't mention whether you play covers but I assume it is originals from your comments.
What style of music?
What other instruments in the band?
How prominent a role does each play? Especially any other chordal instruments?
What is your usual rhythm playing made up of? Chords - open / barre / power? Chugga-chugga / chips & stabs / arpeggiated chords / scale based riffs?

Online glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 05:15:52 pm »
Transcribe riffs from different instruments. That's the one I do with "riffs" and solos. It opens up some completely different styles of playing.

The other one is also change the tuning. Go into any alternative tuning. It becomes like learning a new instrument.

Or just take a break of your usual style and start listening to some new music style, you've never listened to.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 208
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 06:59:09 pm »
In my opinion i see myself as an intermediate guitar player, lacking some skills and freatboard/theoretical knowledge.

Any comments, suggestions, tips?

You've answered you own question.
Seeing your self as an intermediate player mean your not looking to learn.
Find a style you don't know become a beginner again, dive into learning the fret board.
This alone will ooen you mind and give you mkre options.

Your lack of motivation is do to not challenging youself. I know from experience playing
in a band can make to hard to learn new skills but that's exactly what you need to keep
things fresh.
Buy yourself a small key board and play around with it. Some times a change is what
gets the creative juices flowing again.

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 07:34:48 pm »
Some times a change is what gets the creative juices flowing again.
This.

If you're in a rut you need to take some steps to break out of it. Some examples of things you could try include working on fingerstyle, or trying a different tuning (Open G, DADGAD, etc.), or trying a different style of music, or learning a new instrument (e.g., I recently added recorder and whistle to my practice routines). Change something up and recharge your interest/enthusiasm/inspiration.

Offline FullyCharged

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 07:39:15 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
I feel for you.
In a band but in a rut.
You don't mention whether you play covers but I assume it is originals from your comments.
What style of music?
What other instruments in the band?
How prominent a role does each play? Especially any other chordal instruments?
What is your usual rhythm playing made up of? Chords - open / barre / power? Chugga-chugga / chips & stabs / arpeggiated chords / scale based riffs?

Sorry, my bad. My band plays mainly originals (however sometimes we play covers at gigs). We play a mixture of rock/post-rock/metal/hardrock, and we have 2 guitars, 2 bass, drums and vocal.
As the other guitarist is more knowledgeable of guitar, he normally does the solos while i play around the rthythm, which consists of power chords, one or another open chord and normally with a thrash metal feeling

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 11:53:38 pm »
You gotta make it fun again.

If you've never done it, try improvising with someone. That's really fun. In case you don't know what I mean, basically you don't tell each other what you're going to play, you just play. My partner and I do it all the time. Usually I start by playing a two or three chord sequence (usually when he least expects it), and he plays to me. Then he or I will change it by adding in a new chord, notes, or changing the rhythm or tempo, and the other has to figure out what happened and react accordingly. You don't have time to think, but for some reason, it usually sounds cool. It can go off the rails, which is funny.

Listen to Can if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App