Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)  (Read 448945 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:48:59 am »
I just got back from my guitar lesson with my teacher and I am learning Lynard Skynards Simple man.  It's not that hard but takes a lot of concentration.  It's always fun to learn something thats also a challenge.

So tell me, WHAT ARE YOU LEARNING NOW? I'm always interested in what everybody is learning.  We can always trade little tips and tricks.

Licksnkicks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:35:53 pm by TB-AV »
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline JC

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
Re: So, what are you learning now? (on your instrument/s)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:12:17 am »

I'm trying to learn the old Van Halen "Aint-talkin'-bout-love"-intro-lick..   ...but I can't produce that famous "brown sound" :-\ ...the miserable tonez I manage to squeeze out sound more like beige.. ;D

"Förr var det nu fast jävligare desto värre. Men så här jävla sämre har det tamejfan aldrig varit dåligt!" - Refaat El-Sayed -

Quark

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:13:44 am »
SRV's version of Freddie Kings Hideaway.

W

Offline gareth51

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:53:00 am »
Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight.  The solo part is quite easy but I am struggling with the rhythm guitar part, but I haven't spent long on it yet. I am sure I will get it with a bit of practice.  I was thinking about playing this at my wedding next year, but I doubt if I can play guitar after having a few glasses of champagne.
Agile AL-3100, Aria STG-003, Tanglewood TFA XB, Blackstar HT-5R
YouTube  Roadcase Soundcloud

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:03:23 am »
Justin Sandercoe's tunes from his Solo Blues I DVD. Not bad on Walking Bass and Gospel Blues, but having a bit of difficulty with the picking hand co-ordination on Steady Thumb Blues. Unfortunately MY thumb ain't too steady and just will not do what I want it to! I do know this is a 'weak' area for me (one among many!!), and was the main reason for buying this DVD.

Getting there slowly but surely!.

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

Offline Tourniquet

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
  • Time exists in abundance until it runs out
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
I guess my most recent additions are "We are the champions" by queen and "rockstar" by nickelback.
The queen song is a great barre chord workout and the nickelback song has a taxing rhythm to sing to.
       Road Case        Singing Primer guide

jiggyjohn_guitar

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:08:30 am »
licksnkicks:

wow another cool thread from u :)

Rite now I'm working on the scales.Also some guitar techniques like string bending etc..

Offline Kane

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:10:34 am »
I have the occasional go at "She Talks To Angels" but it's a bit advanced for me (and the Open E tuning seems to be putting a bit of a strain on my guitar) had my first recognisable chord progression last night with Justins "Please Forgive Me" (David Grey) lesson - struggling with the big F barre chord as usual but what a sense of achievment lol :)
quote ; If it sounds like s*** it is s*** ..."

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:34 am »
"What are you learning now?"

That, without regular practise your skills soon go rusty!!

>:(

Offline asylum

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:31:56 am »
inbetween all the practice im learning stairway to heaven and shape of my heart by sting.
Fender strat 2008, Ibanez RG 550, Mesa Boogie 22+

aging_bimbo

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:04 am »
"What are you learning now?"

That, without regular practise your skills soon go rusty!!

>:(

+ 1

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 11:00:29 am »
I'm getting used to my London City Comet MK I lefthanded that I won as prize in a contest where you had to create a review of a guitar
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:03 pm »
licksnkicks:

wow another cool thread from u :)

Rite now I'm working on the scales.Also some guitar techniques like string bending etc..

Isn't this funny cuz I'm working on the same stuff! 

Close2u I agree you must practice everday or you will get rusty! I have like a guitar diary of everything I do and took it to my lesson last night and my guitar teacher said in the 13 years that he has been teaching he's never seen anyone take notes about guitar stuff like me.  If you write it down than you have it in front of you with NO second guessing!  That's the only way to do it.  I write myself little notes on what I think I should be practicing just to keep things in perspective.  When I sit to practice it's all there in black and white and I know exactly what to do!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:53 pm »

I'm trying to learn the old Van Halen "Aint-talkin'-bout-love"-intro-lick..   ...but I can't produce that famous "brown sound" :-\ ...the miserable tonez I manage to squeeze out sound more like beige.. ;D

Holy crap man that's a hard one but and excellent one.  I wish you all the best of luck.  I hope you nail this!  Its' one of my favorite tunes. 

LONG LIVE VH!!!!

Licksnkicks

julienarrijs

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 01:26:08 pm »
i'm learning tears from the rain from satriani, the right hand part is a piece of cake but i won't say the same thing about the left hand ....it strechtes a lot :) but i really like the song so it's a great motivation to learn it....and well i do also of course work on my skills like all of you guys : legato, improvisation on pentatonic scales in a, bends and vibrato, speed development, stretching, picking and so on ...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App