Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0003 - Is There Anybody Out There? - Pink Floyd  (Read 43554 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? - The Wall

I think this is a perfect piece to provide the next Guitar Challenge.

It is simple enough for a beginner to play successfully.
It gives a good introduction to finger picking although it can also be played with a pick.
It is challenging enough for a more experienced guitarist to invest it with subtle use of dynamics to really capture the sublime beauty and emotion of the piece.

I have been re-learning it recently and using it as a means of changing and improving my right hand technique. I hope to post a recorded version soon. 

In the meantime, there have been several posts of this recently.  I'd like to bring them together to form the basis of this new Guitar Challenge.

[@ neo01124, CambaNation, jecd1973 and Adlai ... I hope you don't mind me linking your posts ]

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=17163.0

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=15260.0

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=17023.0

http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=13528.0

Music (and film clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHN6AViJAvI

Tabs
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/pink_floyd/is_there_anybody_out_there_tab.htm

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
Re: Guitar Challenge 0003 - Is There Anybody Out There? - Pink Floyd
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:00:26 pm »
Okay, as promised, here is my version ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zOgEWF3D3I

I've been working on my right hand picking technique ...

Watching videos of myself I became very aware that I would plant the heel of my right hand on the bridge of the guitar and set my fingers nearly parallel to the strings to fingerpick ...

It is the habit of years and years ... it's only with seeing it that I've realised it's part of the reason my playing gets a little 'tangled up' at times ...

I've re-learned this piece making a conscious effort to hold my right hand up and off the body of the guitar with my fingers picking the strings nearer the sound hole ...

It has taken a while to teach this old dog a new trick but I'm quite pleased with the results of me changing this ...

Comments are always welcome ....

:)

Offline asylum

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »
good stuff there what is that last chord that you played there i could never figure it out, , nothing to really point out apart from a few fumbled notes if one was really critical but i thought that was quite well played, ill give it a bash but ill have to record electric guitar as i dont have a way of recording acoustic at the moment, might sound horible on electric. ANyways keep it up  ;)
Fender strat 2008, Ibanez RG 550, Mesa Boogie 22+

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »
thanks asylum ... the last chord is in the tabs I posted in the 1st post

...... this shows the last bar and that chord ... it's an A minor

E-|-------0-------0-|-------0-------0-|--------------5--|-7---8------12---||
B-|-----1-------1---|-----1-------1---|--------1 /5-----|------------10---||
G-|---2-------2-----|---2-------2-----|-----2-----------|------------9----||
D-|-2-------0-------|-----------------|---2-------------|------------10---||
A-|-----------------|-3-------2-------|-0---------------|------------0----||
E-|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------||
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:44:26 pm by close2u »

Kroikey

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:22:18 am »
Ooh, just saw this even thought its been live for a while.  I can play this so if its still open I'll post my version.

I found your version on youtube Close2U, sounds very nice.  That guy going on about dynamics on your youtube post is a little harsh, I could hear the dynamics fine, although not the same as the record.

Kroikey

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:19:40 am »
Well I'll post my new version here, its not perfect at all, many mistakes.  I just liked the dynamic of this version.  Its also faster than I usually play it.

My old one is further down the list, from like 3 months in or something.  Dont count that one though! lol

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903342
 ;D

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:29:23 am »
kroikey ... I ignored your advice and did play the old one then the new one ....

What can I say .... big wow!!

You have improved fantastically ...

The playing was smooth and clear, the sliding section was excellent, the whole piece was very good indeed ... well done.

Big thumbs up.

Kroikey

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 04:00:50 pm »
Thanks a lot Close2U!

I love The Wall and this instrumental break song really has a lot of the mood of the album in it.  When I found it was simple chords I was over the moon, then when I first picked the pattern over the A minor I grinned like a Cheshire cat  ;D 

I learnt it all picking, then realised it didn't sound fluid at all (my 3 months picking was very hit and miss) so I learned it finger style.  Its my fall back/warmup/chill out song.  The version I posted is probably one of the best examples of me using dynamics in a song.  Usually I'm a one volume kind of player lol.  I screwed up the end chord and the 2nd slide up to the 9th fret in the bridge (managed to rescue it a little).

hully-gully

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 08:25:34 am »
Hi kroikey

Well!. I have listened to both versions about 3 or 4 times. Now i know you tell us to dismiss the first version and close2u will not agree with me lol.

But for me i prefer the first version. Your tone and spacing was better. ok a couple of mistakes here and there but overall a sweeter sound to my ears. ;)

hully-gully

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 08:44:04 am »
 :) I had to listen to these two versions again.

Ok your latest version is played better and more fluent. I think it could be the tone that puts me off a little. The first tone is much better and played slower. I would love to hear you play that piece again with the first tone.

Ok close2u i agree the 2nd version is played more fluent ;)

Kroikey

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:51 am »
I guess you like the tone of picking more than the fingerpicking.  I know now its a 1000% better to play in terms of fluidity and being able to apply some dynamics.  The first version I was so tense trying to make the sound come out professionally that it strangled it.  Each to their own I guess!  Very interesting.

I'll try and change my tone and play a little slower when I get a chance, for a better comparison.  thanks for listening all those times!  :D

Linsen

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:21 am »
Now, don't get excited people (close2u especially ;) ), there's still no new version.

I do have a question, however, about the tab, as I'm currently working on this to improve my fingerstyle skills - well, to develope any to be more precise.

Could it be that the tab is not 100% correct? The part I'm at right now is the one where it says "Legato Slide" and reads like this:

Legato Slide
e|----------------|
B|-5--3/1-1/0-0---|
G|--4-4/2-2/0-0-0-|
D|----------------|
A|----------------|
E|----------------|

It seems to me that there is no Slide involved at that point and that it should go like this:

e|----------------|
B|-5---3---1---0--|
G|--5---4---2---0-|
D|----------------|
A|----------------|
E|----------------|

Can anyone confirm or controvert that to set me straight? Seems there are like 2 or 3 different versions of this tab floating around but none of them show what I'm hearing there...

Kroikey

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 11:12:51 am »
I don't believe theres a slide at that point.  It does have a little slide quality to it as its so fast on the recording.

e|----------------|
B|-5---3---1---0--|
G|--4---2---2---0-|
D|----------------|
A|----------------|
E|----------------|

The slide comes on the second time through when you slide up to fret 8 and 9.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:10 pm »
if you watch my vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zOgEWF3D3I   between 1min 10 and 1min 15 it is a slide

but ... you can play without sliding using the tabbed positions you give

or you can play a similar run of notes by using the a minor chord shape to start and playing

string : fret
2       : 1
1       : open

2       : open (hammer-on)
2       : 3

3       : 2
2       : 1

3       : 2
2       : open
3        :

E-|------0------------------------------------------||
B-|--1--------0----3---------1-------0------------||
G-|----------------------2-------0-------0---------||

hope that helps

Linsen

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »
Actually, now I'm ore confused than before. :P

Could you tab out for me what you are playing exactly after the slide from 2nd fret on the G string to 5th fret? So, the last bar if you will that starts with the 5th fret on the B string. That would really help, I think, because I don't feel like I can trust myself. (I'm also hearing a full Am in the previous part where the B string is supposedly not fretted but plucked open, btw. Fretting it at the first fret like in a regular Am sounds somehow more correct to me.  :-\ )

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 04:34:16 pm »
... Could you tab out for me what you are playing exactly after the slide from 2nd fret on the G string to 5th fret? ...
             C                                 G/B                        A minor                      No Chord

e|---------------0----------|---------------0---------|-------------0---------|-----------------------------|
B|-----------1-----1--------|----------1--3---3--1----|----------1-----1------|------5--3-----3/1---0-------|
G|--------0-----------0-----|-------0-----------------|-------2------------2--|--s--5--4---4/2-----0--0-----|
D|-----2------------------2-|-----0-------------------|----2------------------|-----------------------------|
A|--3-----------------------|--2----------------------|--0--------------------|-----------------------------|
E|--------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|-----------------------------|

this tabbing business takes ages - hope that is clearer

Linsen

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 06:04:23 pm »
Thanks a bunch, close2u! That is crystal clear. I'll check that out.

Linsen

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 10:13:24 pm »
Oh my, I just figured out that the file I was using to try and tab this out was not the original recording! In fact, I think it might have been your version close2u which I had downloaded and cut off the first part of some time ago. Strangely enough, I still didn't arrive at the same tab you just gave me there. Go figure.

So, I now loaded up the original and am getting nowhere basically. That one is much harder to figure out, I must say. It's just not nearly as clear what DG is doing there. Back to the drawing board, I guess. :P

Kroikey

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:32 am »
Sorry, I should have replied earlier as my tab is wrong.  Heres the real version from Pink Floyd - The Wall guitar songbook.
Its possible to play this run many ways though, as mentioned above.

e|---------------0----------|---------------0---------|-------------0---------|--------------------|
B|-----------1-----1--------|----------1--3---3--1----|----------1-----1------|----5---3---1---0---|
G|--------0-----------0-----|-------0-----------------|-------2------------2/4|------4---2---0-----|
D|-----2------------------2-|-----0-------------------|----2------------------|--------------------|
A|--3-----------------------|--2----------------------|--0--------------------|--------------------|
E|--------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|--------------------|

Hopefully that will clear it up for you

Linsen

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 10:41:23 am »
Thanks Kroikey!

I'm not really convinced (anymore) that the last bar is played with single notes as shown in the songbook, but I think I figured out that it's certainly doable and doesn't sound too bad.

I am also pretty certain by now that the Am is in fact played with an open 2nd string, which is not what the tab from the songbook indicates. Not too sure about the slide from 2nd to 4th instead of 5th, either, tbh, but that's really tough to hear on the original recording. I guess you can't trust anyone, not even the official songbook. Or there are different versions around, which is well possible, I suppose.

Kroikey

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:44 am »
Sorry, been a bit bad lately and not picked up the guitar. 
Your right about the open b string in the 3rd bar below.
I think I also missed a note from end.
Apologies for posting two wrong tabs!  I'm officially the worst tab poster ever :)

e|---------------0----------|---------------0---------|-------------0---------|--------------------|
B|-----------1-----1--------|----------1--3---3--1----|----------0-----0------|----5---3---1---0---|
G|--------0-----------0-----|-------0-----------------|-------2------------2--|------4---2---0---0-|
D|-----2------------------2-|-----0-------------------|----2------------------|--------------------|
A|--3-----------------------|--2----------------------|--0--------------------|--------------------|
E|--------------------------|-------------------------|-----------------------|--------------------|

steelduck

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 07:54:59 am »
I am just at the stage 8 of the beginners course and started to try the finger style stuff. I can do the first 4 bars in a slow tempo, but this thread will be archived before I can play the whole song... :D is there a deadline on this challenge? ...stay tuned.

Kroikey

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »
You'll be able to play it in no time.  Here's a tip.  When doing the walking baseline down to the 3rd fret 5th string, lift off your little finger and use that to play this note.  I learned it the hard way then adjusted it later.

steelduck

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »
Great tip... :D thanks

Kroikey

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »
No problem.  The final chord is awkward, place the 2nd and 3rd fingers first and its a lot easier. :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App