Author Topic: BC-143 • The A Chord again  (Read 34876 times)

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: BC-143 • The A Chord again
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2019, 03:54:07 pm »
@joueur de guitare Thanks man, so I don't need to mute the open E thin string on the original A shape? I thought the two forms had to sound the same, but then are there slight differences?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline Fresher

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2019, 03:18:50 pm »
Anyone?
Stage 4 in progress...

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2019, 04:14:37 pm »
The mini bar A is the same A chord but played with just 1 finger.
So you cover the D G and B strings and play the same 5 string as the 3 finger
A.
If you happen to mute the thin e string it is not wrong because to play an
A chord you need the notes A C# and E
The notes on the 5 strings played are A E A C# E.  So you alread have the note E
on the D string. It just sounds fuller when playing both E notes.
You will find you will use both A chords when playing.
By the time you're an advanced player you'll know about 10 different ways of playing
every chord and every way will have its place in you arsenal of chords.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2019, 04:14:59 pm »
Anyone?

Fresher.
Don't take this the wrong way.
We like it when people ask questions.
All we ask is a sensible and respectful approach to it.
You seem to ask a new question every day - sometimes more than one - and then get impatient if nobody replies within 24 hours.
Relax.
And be patient.
All people may become impatient with you.
Not every question will be answered quickly.

First - you have asked a follow up question to an old question that doesn't really belong in this thread.
It was posted and answered in 2016.
Now that I have had it brought to my attention I am going to split the topic and move it to its own thread.
Second, now you know that, you can stop thinking and asking about muting the top E string on the A chord.
When you play the open A chord in the 1st stage of the beginner course you learn to play that string.
When you learn different variations of the A chord - much later on - you will learn alternatives.
But that is for later.
And it boils down to this.
You can choose to mute the high e string or not when playing the A chord.
Each and every major chord only needs three different notes to be a major chord.
More than three means you are repeating some of the notes at a higher or lower octave.
Just follow the course and ask only relevant questions to problems that are causing you issues at your ability level.

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2019, 07:09:39 pm »
I do have a few observations and queries about the A mini-barre if you guys didn't mind indulging me for a moment.

At first I hated the A mini-barre. I found it very awkward, especially when it came to changing to D from it. It felt like it has taken up to Stage 4 for my changes to and from D from any chord to be consistently good (not perfect but good most of the time). I've had the biggest struggle with D, oddly enough. I've even mastered Dm sooner than D!

Now comes A mini-barre which has screwed me up all over again  ;D

However I'm now about 2 or 3 weeks into learning Stage 4 chords and while I've struggled with B7, C7, G7 and Fmaj7 for all different reasons, A mini-barre is the one chord which is oddly becoming very comfortable.

What I did to help speed up learning it was to go right back to my Stage 1 songs and to use A mini-barre instead of the 3 finger version and the hard work really is starting to pay off. I'm still not quite there yet but it's certainly improving! Slow progress but it's progress none the less.

So now on to my queries about this chord:

- I've heard Justin say in his tutorial video for A mini-barre that he rarely uses the three finger version these days. He almost always uses the mini-barre. I'm trying to follow that tactic myself and to really nail the mini-barre from here on in. In fact, I'm finding switching to it easier now than I ever did the three finger equivalent. Should I be prioritising the mini-barre so much now? What do you guys think? I'm really (whisper it) starting to like using it?
- The one thing I slightly dislike about the A mini-barre at this stage is the sound of the chord. I actually like the thinnest E ringing out from the three finger version. Now the chord sounds... dead? A bit lifeless. Certainly when adding some of the RUST patterns to A mini barre they just don't sound anywhere near as good on either the up or down strums. So I guess the best advice here is to use it with Justins famous "if it sounds good, it is good" slogan in mind? Apply it where I think it sounds best to use it?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »
@ ajc24

Your last sentence is crucial.
If you like the sound of one over the other then you know what to do.
Other considerations as to which to use will be:
What chord comes before?
What chord comes after?
Do I need to embellish the A chord in any way (sus 2, sus4 etc) that is only possible with one fingering?

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2019, 11:02:34 pm »
What chord comes before?
What chord comes after?
Do I need to embellish the A chord in any way (sus 2, sus4 etc) that is only possible with one fingering?

You know I never considered the sus chords yet (I'm only on Stage 4 so far) but that's great advice right there! Thank you very much!

As for selecting the most comfortable version of A based on what chord comes before or after - again that makes perfect sense. I'll have to give this more thought. Thanks again!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App