Author Topic: BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords  (Read 16404 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
    • justinguitar.com
BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline ClareM

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: BC-141 • G7, C7, B7 Chords
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »
C7 chord - just to say that my little finger wouldn't ever behave when trying to place this chord.

The solution that's worked for me was to:
a) place 3 & 4 first, then add 1 & 2.
b) lifting off/ replacing 3 & 4 in one go while still holding down 1 & 2

Maybe this will help someone!  ;)

Clare

Offline Aggronner

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:48:50 pm »
Hey Justin, I have a question about your C7 chord in stage 4 of your beginners course. To make the C7 chord you have people add the fourth finger on the G string third fret but that is an A sharp which doesn't fit into a C chord and I'm curious what your reasoning behind that was rather than dropping the A from the B string and adding the seventh in there.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:43:44 pm »
A C7 or C dominant 7 uses the intervals 1 3 5 b7 In the case of the C7 the G(5th) is left out.
The b7 of Cmajor is Bb

I'm curious what your reasoning behind that was rather than dropping the A from the B string and adding the seventh in there.
This part of you question I don't understand. The note played on the B string is a C if you leave it off you
will be playing a B note which is the 7th of C major so you would be playing a Cmaj7 1 3 5 7

Offline -harry-

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:03:37 pm »
Hi

My name is Igor.
I've got some difficulties with these chords and stuck on this stage.

When I played open chords from first 3 stages everything was OK. And now I have to use my little finger to play these 3 chords. In time of using it (actual press on the string) I feel very sharp pain in my wrist. especially when I play B7. To prevent having this pain I have to rise my elbow a little bit. But next morning after practice (usually I practice from 9pm to 11pm) I've got strong pain in my wrist. I did not practice last night but steel have pain.
This is my second attempt to learn to play these chords. First time it was the same. I want to guitar teacher to have my left hand corrected but he said I'm doing well.

Please help me with these 7th chords.

thanks
Jan 2016 BC started
Love my Fender and Yamaha babies.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 06:37:55 am »
Could you post a picture of yourself playing the chords?
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:15:02 am »
-harry-

Hi Igor

Could you post a picture? It will help to see how you are playing the chord.

On the lesson page there is a picture of Justin holding the chord along with the chord diagram. If you hold the chord that way there should be no trouble. One idea is to playing for t of a mirror to confirm if you are indeed playing it correctly

Offline -harry-

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
Could you post a picture of yourself playing the chords?
I hope this picture is OK.
Jan 2016 BC started

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »
That's odd. Your wrist looks nice and straight in the picture. Normally, when someone experiences wrist pain their wrist is bent at an extreme angle. Yours is not. Just to check, I went and tried B7 on my guitar. My wrist looks just like your picture, and I generally find B7 to be one of the most wrist friendly chords. The only thing I might say is the picture does seem to show you carrying some tension in your wrist. I'm seeing your tendons really prominently in the picture. Are you fretting especially hard? Is it possible that the anxiety of trying to do a 4 finger chord is causing you to overdo it? Anyone else have any ideas?
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Online bradt

• test group
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:26:24 pm »
If you hold out your hand with the palm up, is the wrist pain on the top or bottom of your wrist?

If it is on the top (palm side), is it sort of a constant nagging pain right near the tendons that worsens as you grip?

Offline -harry-

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 05:07:48 pm »
First of all. Thank you guys you want to help me.
And sorry for my broken English.

The only thing I might say is the picture does seem to show you carrying some tension in your wrist. I'm seeing your tendons really prominently in the picture. Are you fretting especially hard? Is it possible that the anxiety of trying to do a 4 finger chord is causing you to overdo it? Anyone else have any ideas?
when I learned 3 finger chords everything was OK. And now I'm adding little one and experiencing these sort of  troubles. Basically you are right. I try to control tension in my wrist and palm very carefully all the time. When I'm fretting B7 usually I start with first 3 fingers and everything is alright at that exact moment. Then I'm trying to add my little one and pain is coming in.

If you hold out your hand with the palm up, is the wrist pain on the top or bottom of your wrist?

If it is on the top (palm side), is it sort of a constant nagging pain right near the tendons that worsens as you grip?
It is bottom side of my wrist. between two bones. The pain starts in the wrist and goes toward elbow for 1-2 inches. It is very sharp and I cannot tolerate it at all.

Another thin I'm thinking about. I fell off my bike six or seven month ago and landed on this arm. I had a little injury in my elbow and wrist was affected a little bit too. may be that cause the pain.
Jan 2016 BC started

Offline Shaolindelt

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 05:50:51 pm »
Do you ever have the pain when you use your little finger elsewhere on the fret board?  I can't remember its placement but Justin had a stretching exercise (think he called it "spider walking") where you start on the low E, first finger is at fret two, middle on three, ring on four, pink on five and you walk down the guitar playing all four notes on each string. Not sure if you've gotten there yet or tried this exercise, but my guess is that you'll find some pain on that one too if it's not technique related. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC 2/15, IC - 3/16
Fender Squier Std Strat
Fender Mustang Ii v2

Offline -harry-

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50:38 pm »
I practice alternate picking and use all 4 fingers for fretting. Usually I start with 5th fret and then go down to the first one. I struggle with stretching but has no pain at all. But I do fretting differently. To fret a chord I use finger tip near the nail and when I practice alternate picking I press just like Justin does it in the video for lesson TE-201 (The Spider) (sorry, I cannot post link due to forum restrictions)
Jan 2016 BC started