Author Topic: BC-173 • A Sus2/4 and D Sus2/4 & Esus4  (Read 14929 times)

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: BC-173 • A Sus2/4 and D Sus2/4 & Esus4
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 12:17:12 am »
When Justin leave his fingers in the Amaj position and adds the 4th finger to 3rd fret 2nd string he plays Asus4. If you imagine this finger shape and then remove the 3rd finger you get the shape and finger placings in the Asus4 diagram.  Hope this helps.

Alternatively don't worry about the video and diagram differences. Just play Amaj Asus4 Amaj Asus2 Amaj and you'll find its easier leaving your 3rd finger in place between Amaj Asus4 and then lifting / replacing it for Amaj Asus2 Amaj.
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline MFlyer

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »
Two quick question about "sus" chords.  I am pretty good at eliminating note buzz - or what I call it when you don't have the strings down tight against their respective frets.  As Justin has taught us, I try to keep my fingers back against the respective frets.

With the sus chords though, it seems like our fingers are better a little back from the frets so we have the flexibility to lay down an extra finger. 

Does this make sense?

When I do this, I often get fret buzz.  Is this just a matter of me getting more calluses, and pressing harder, or are there other tips on how I can better play with "sus"es as well.

My second bonus question is this - it seems that Asus2 and Asus4 don't play as easily with the mini-barre method Justin taught.  Is this in my head, or does anyone have advice on playing these with the mini-barre method?

Offline DuckDive

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 06:27:05 pm »
You should be ok space wise with your fingers on the sus chords without moving things around. The only exception may be Esus which can get a bit cramped if you have larger fingers.  I would advise just take it slow during practice to get sounding clean between changes.

If you know you are going to Asus2 from A I would say don't use the mini bar, use a more traditional grip for A.  If you are just going to sus4 then the bar is fine as you can use any of the other fingers in the 3rd fret.  For jumping around between Asus2, A, Asus4 the mini bar may be difficult.  Rolling your finger up that much could be difficult, inconsistent, and even painful.

Just my 2 cents.  YMMV

Duck

Offline johnnywill08

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »
any major dsadvantage to using justin's original amaj fingering?  ie the "triangle" where finger 2 is on the d string as opposed to the straight line "old school" which is more fingers 1 (d string) 2 and 3 in a line...

i ask because this is the easiest fingering for me and has worked great.  my first finger was surgically repaired after a tree-work accident and is actually amazingly functional now but only flexes about 75%, and is generally not too nimble (cmaj is my worst chord, have to be very loose for that one)

so being that this fingering is easily my favorite, any drawbacks to using it as my go-to within transitions to asus2/4?

thanks guys

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »
There may be specific chord changes where the "in-line" version might work out better... none come to mind, but I am sure I have stumbled across the situation at some point.

But starting with the "Justin A" - for lack of a better term (maybe 213?):

A to A7 lift 1st finger to expose open 3rd string G note.
A to Asus4 plant 4th finger on 2nd string D note
A to Asus2 lift 3rd finger to expose the open 2nd string B note

I would note that while Justin encourages beginners to start out using that particular grip for the A to speed them along their way, as you progress to intermediate and beyond you will often end up learning and using multiple grips for the same chord in the same position.  The G chord comes to mind and the "king of grip variation".

But having said that I think the "Justin A" is a viable grip to use as your standard.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 01:41:50 pm »
Justins recommends that particular grip because it is easy when changing to E and D. A, D and E chords are the first chords he teaches in the Beginners Course, but I do remember something about him explaining that along the line it is good to be able to finger chords in different ways.
I understand that you have an injury to your finger/hand and in that case the "triangle" shape makes sense. Mind you, a lot of guitar players are playing very well with that shape.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline xyzzyfl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Leap and the net will appear
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 02:25:19 am »
Finally have worked up to the page with the Sus chords and I really love the way they can embellish their parent chord. They add such an nice - almost dissonant sound when played around the parent.

It's interesting how everyone's 'ear' for sounds is different. The power chord in the previous lesson sounds terrible to me, but the Sus chords sound great. they will become a permanent fixture to my playing.
2015 Taylor T5z
2015 Taylor 712c 12 Fret
2015 Taylor GS Mini (hog)

Offline captainamerica

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 07:20:43 pm »
There may be specific chord changes where the "in-line" version might work out better... none come to mind, but I am sure I have stumbled across the situation at some point.

But starting with the "Justin A" - for lack of a better term (maybe 213?):

A to A7 lift 1st finger to expose open 3rd string G note.
A to Asus4 plant 4th finger on 2nd string D note
A to Asus2 lift 3rd finger to expose the open 2nd string B note

I would note that while Justin encourages beginners to start out using that particular grip for the A to speed them along their way, as you progress to intermediate and beyond you will often end up learning and using multiple grips for the same chord in the same position.  The G chord comes to mind and the "king of grip variation".

But having said that I think the "Justin A" is a viable grip to use as your standard.

Shadow

1) As mentioned on page 2 of this thread, the video for Asus4 and the on-screen diagram don't match, but we should go by the diagram, not the video I will assume.  Justin could be lifting finger #2 discreetly, it is hard to confirm by the video alone.

So assuming one uses the 3-1-2 A-chord fingering, the "proper" fingering for Asus4 would be retain fingers 2-1 in the second fret, and 4 in the 3rd fret.

2) Justin also mispoke at 1:28 where he says for Asus2 to "lift your second finger" but he is actually lifting #3 in the video.

EDIT on first point: I guess it doesn't matter about retaining #2 finger on the B string in the second fret to make the Asus4 since it is only the finger closest to the guitar body ("highest" fret) that makes the note, so #2 can be left on the fret board or not.  This does make it easier to remember just lift up/down #4 to move from the Asus4 to the A.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:44:24 pm by captainamerica »
Completed: BC, IM.  Now focused on aural/ear training and blues rhythm course....stay focused on Justin's teachings and they will guide you...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App