Author Topic: BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule  (Read 14145 times)

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
Re: BC-149 • Stage 4 Practice Schedule
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2016, 12:19:36 am »
1.  Yeah.  I think it is the pinky factor.

2.  The name of the 5th degree of a major scale is called the dominant.  The chord that is generated from the 5th degree is the only Major chord with a flat 7 in the major scale; 1 3 5 b7.  The other two major chords become Major 7th chords 1 3 5 7.  It is unique and comes from the dominant (5th) note of the major scale so 'dominant 7' it was dubbed.

3.  Beginners look at their fingers maybe more than they should.  But it is natural and not a big deal, and arguably required or at least very helpful in the early stages.  But eventually you will want to start to work on not looking at your hand constantly.  But if you watch big time pros, you will note that even they occasionally glance down at their hands.

4.  As I recall in one of the 1 minute changes lessons Justin said something to the effect of, "it doesn't have to be perfect, but it can't be total xx--xx either..."  For beautiful, take your time. 

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Marcy78

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2016, 03:35:27 pm »
Hi there, I have a question! Why do I have to mute the E-String in C7? But not when I learned C?  :o

Offline joueur de guitare

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2016, 04:16:10 pm »
Hi there, I have a question! Why do I have to mute the E-String in C7? But not when I learned C?  :o

Um?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2016, 07:34:28 pm »
You should have learned to mute the E when learning the C chord. You always play the bass
note first in open chords. See the X on the E string on both chords. See the O on the high E string.

X don't play or Mute. O play open.
Justin explains how to mute the E string @ 2:38 in the video.

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2016, 12:33:01 am »

Probably because you are a few stages on now, and can handle a bit more. By all means add in a mute on your C's from now on.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Vox AC4, Vox Wah, Bad Monkey overdrive, Metal Zone, Belcat Analog Delay, Behringer Tremolo, Ditto X2 looper, MXR Dyna Comp, Boss TU3, bashed-up acoustic, Washburn 12 string, Keyser and Shubb capos, picks, Voodoo Labs PP2

Offline flashollie27

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 09:37:13 pm »
So I'm on stage 4 and I'm doing pretty well on my one minute chord changes at about 40 to 50. I thought I'd start learning a couple of tunes that use the C7 G7 B7 and Fmaj7.
From the beginners song books 1 and 2 there's lots with Fmaj7 and a only 2 or 3 with B7 but none with C7 or G7.

Is there a reason for this? Is it that they are simply rarely used chords outised of the blues, but for completeness they are taught with those more frequently used 7 chords.
I note that A7 E7 and  D7 come in stage 5 and that all 7th chords seems are common in blues. Just seems odd not to get some practice on the C and G7s after stage 4?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 11:46:09 pm »
You've pretty much got it. In terms of the BC, C7 is only used in Stage 5 blues songs. However, it's a very useful shape to have in your arsenal, so don't skip it. Since Stage 5 is dominated by Blues, I think Justin moved some of the 7th chords down to Stage 4, so as not to overload Stage 5 with too many new chords.

In general, as you get to the later stages of the BC (5-9), you'll find that the songs don't align with the new chords as well as Stage 1-3. This is even more so in the IM. In terms of open chords, once you have A,C, D, E, G, Am, Dm, Em, B7 down you can play a lot of songs (especially with a capo). The addition of F and Fmaj7 completes that. Also, Bm would be nice to have though Justin doesn't introduce it in the BC. Most of the additional chords will not be as prominent. You're going to play D and Am the rest of your guitar playing life. C/G or Am/G (Stage 9) less so.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline flashollie27

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2016, 12:08:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply.
I'll crack on with One, Live Forever for the Fmaj7 and Sitting on the Dock Of the Bay and killing me softly for B7. As well as working on the chord shapes and change in readiness for the blues in stage 5.

Offline BigSmoke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2016, 10:38:55 am »
I already ask this on the page itself with the new Discuss option, but I don't think that anyone uses it.

Anyhow I was wondering if it is oke that I can do my one-minute changes 60 bpm with a metronome and without "only" 40.

I was wondering if anyone else had this "problem". It doen't seems like an issue but just to be sure

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2016, 04:41:02 pm »
How clean are you changes with the metronome?  If they're clean it may be that you're
concentrating on the clicks and not the changes and your best changes happen when you're
not thinging about them.

Offline BigSmoke

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2016, 07:28:08 pm »
They are pretty clean but with a few sloppy moments.

I think you have a point there (the more you think the more you stink  ;D)

Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate it!

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2016, 10:53:52 pm »
The 1 minute changes exercise is preparation for learning songs, so what happens when you try some songs? Can you make clean changes in time ? With or without a metronome?
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline MarcusHH

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2016, 03:26:46 pm »
For me (entered stage 4 recently), it depends on how familiar I am with the chords. If I am, I use the metronome and speed up bit by bit. But if I learn new songs with new chords, I recommend to start first WITHOUT a metronome (and using only downstrums) to become a little familiar with the new chord progression.
That "automatization" for positioning the fingers done, I take step two and use a metronome to solidify and speed up.  (Right now, I'm using this approach for "Save Tonight".)
As a beginner, my accuracy depends a) on practice and b) on my focus of concentration. The longer I work on a specfic chord progression, the better the accuracy and speed will be. Sometimes, my accuracy suffers, e.g. when concentrating on a new strumming pattern - but in the long run, the more familiar I get with the pattern, the better my accuracy.
When learning new songs, I think there's sometimes something like a "one particular step back first for two steps forward overall" rule. :D