Author Topic: BC-156 • Rhythm Guitar Basics  (Read 23285 times)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
Re: BC-156 • Rhythm Guitar Basics
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2015, 06:58:29 pm »
Don't get discouraged. You'll get it.

Try without the metronome at first. Just tap your foot on the numbers and count out loud. If you have to stop and start, that's fine. When you get that smooth, bring the metronome back in.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2015, 08:35:36 pm »
Claudiu

We've all got it, you've got it, it just takes some of us longer to find it. Others get there quicker. As Brad say tap your feet and count but do it reeeeaaaal slooooowww until you get that triplet feel. Then gradually increase the speed  8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2015, 09:18:40 pm »
Yep, like toby says, we all have it. Take a moment and listen to your breathing, or place your hand on your heart.  Feel that? There is rhythm there. You couldn't walk or run without it.

If this is the only thing keeping you on stage 5, move on. Keep working at it, but don't let it hold you back to the point that it is discouraging. It's just gonna take time.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:52 am »
For me at least, getting the triplet right was more about the feel of it. Also, I found it easier to get the feel at a moderate tempo as opposed to a really slow tempo. Count it out first, then play it. It helps if the upstroke is quicker than usual, almost a little flick, because you have to come down so quickly. Also, you can try shifting the whole strumming motion down a little bit, like this:

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline lovestruck

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:29 am »
I found it really hard to do the triplet rhythm just counting or with the metronome..
Much easier for me to learn playing along with a song ( Before you accuse me was the one I used for this rhythm)
Then once I have the 'feel' of it locked into my brain I can go back and do it fine counting..foot tapping or with the metronome.
I think the thing to remember is not get stuck trying to do something one way ..give other ways a try even if you think they are 'wrong'..
We are all different and learn in different ways :)

Offline ElPerdido

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:44 pm »
So, I'm having a bit of trouble putting this one all together. I'm working at low tempos right now, 60-80ish.

I can play a chord and count 1 trip-let 2 trip-let (or 1 and-a 2 and-a, I kind of switch depending on what I feel like) and hit the down strum on the beat and the up strum on the "let" (or the "a") OR I can put the metronome on, play a chord with a swing feel, and keep the beat, OR I can deaden the strings, put the metronome on, count 1 trip-let 2 trip-let, and hit the downstrum on the beat and the upstrum on the let... but I cannot for the life of me seem to do ALL of 1) use the metronome 2) count the rhythm and 3) play a chord.

I guess it's just a matter of practice. Getting this rhythm with counting is the only thing keeping me from progressing to stage 6. Any advice?

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 109
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2016, 10:38:31 pm »
You count in order to help you "get" the rhythm so if you have the rhythm I wouldn't let it stop me from moving on.

However, keep it as a part of your practice schedule and keep working on it.  If you get the rhythm sufficiently internalized you should be able to add the count.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline captainamerica

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2016, 03:56:49 pm »
Having more of a challenge with my upstroke picking, where I seem to be catching just the bottom two strings, so the upstroke is very "high-sounding" while the downstroke catches all of the lower strings and gives it a much lower sound.

Should a different technique be applied when holding the pick/striking the strings for the blues upstroke vs say, the "walk the line" boom-chicka upstrumming?  It seems that my upstroke picking is smoother and comes easier for tunes like that vs the blues.

Might also have to do with how I am holding the pick, where I don't hold it straight down, but slightly at an angle?  I then slightly change its angle on the upstoke to avoid catching the strings, but is this bad technique?

I might have missed where Justin focuses on how to properly hold the pick (2 fingers vs three, currently using 3 but trying to get more comfortable using two as that's how Justin holds it) and whether to shift the pick's position when upstroking, or if the pick should be kept in the same position whether down or upstroking.

I should add that I am trying to hold the pick softly so that it flows smoothly for both up and down strokes, but it gets loose and moves in my strumming hand, which I imagine is simply a "practice (and practice some more) to get the right tightness feel".   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:14:05 pm by captainamerica »