Author Topic: BC-106 • Body Posture and Finger Placement  (Read 74795 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
Re: BC-106 • Body Posture and Finger Placement
« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2016, 07:51:33 pm »
You may want to take a good look at your pasture and how you're holding the guitar.

If you have the guitar neck level with the floor your most likely cranking your wrist at more
than a 45 deg angle. This will cause pain and serious damage to your wrist and forearm.
The neck should be on a slight upward angle.

If that's not the problem you most likely have your guitar tilted at an angle so you can see
the fret board. This also put extra strain and your wrist and forearm.

Offline Professor Kitty

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2016, 08:24:11 am »
Alright, I know he says to kind of let your fretting hand hang down as a beginner to avoid touching the neck and accidentally muting the first string.
I'm at stage 3 and the ball of my first finger touches the neck with chords like Dm and C and I was wondering if that still a problem.
I've tried to bring my hand away for those chords but it's really tricky and just doesn't really feel right and I was wondering if I'm developing something I shouldn't.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2016, 04:37:50 pm »
accidentally muting the first string

This is the key. If you're not muting the string there is no problem. If you are muting the string try sliding your thumb thumb down a little more and point it towards the head stock so you can rotate your wrist.

Offline thekabaka

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #393 on: February 10, 2016, 11:35:31 am »
Hello everyone, I'm a beginner (about 5-6 weeks playing) and at stage 3. My main issue so far seems to be the position of my wrist. I am not able to twist my forearm (supination I looked it up!) as much as it seems most other people can. If I hold my arms out in front of me and try to turn my palms up they don't quite reach horizontal let alone beyond (which my gf can easily manage)

I can get my chords to ring out but I need to have my elbow tucked tightly into my side and the body of the guitar pushed to the right  so the neck is nearer to my body, under my chin really (I'm a right hander) it makes it very difficult reach the top strings without muting the lower ones especially high E

Is there an exercise I can use to get more "turn" into my forearm because I think until I can I'll struggle with playing guitar

Thanks

Giles

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #394 on: February 10, 2016, 04:26:28 pm »
Do what you mentioned, hold your arms straight out in front of you and rotate your palms both
towards the floor and towards the ceiling. Do the same holding them out to the side. This will
help stretch and loosen the muscles and tendons in your arms and wrists.
Do it slowly and be patient it will take time. there is no over night solution.       

Offline thekabaka

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #395 on: February 11, 2016, 04:40:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping that you mean this is not uncommon and also curable with time and effort. If so that's great for my motivation so thanks again

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #396 on: February 11, 2016, 05:05:40 pm »
If you don't see any improvement in mobility after a week or to you may want to see your
Doctor.

Have you or are you a body builder or do you do a lot of lifting at your job. Repetitive weight
training or lifting without stretching can shorten the muscles and tendons.   

Offline thekabaka

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #397 on: February 12, 2016, 09:53:18 am »
Haha occasionally you might see me in the gym, but in no way am I body builder!! As for work I'm an airline pilot so unless sitting down can be counted as heavy lifting we can rule that out as an excuse as well😀

I'll keep doing some stretching and esp trying to reach chords near the nut and hopefully make some progress

Offline luca.brici

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #398 on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:06 am »
Hi guys, I'm a beginner and I'm checking my posture to be sure of learning to play in the right way.
You said that I mustn't hold the neck with my fretting hand, but is it good if the neck moves just a bit? Because it doesn't fall down, it just moves a little because my right hand is strumming.
Is that a symptom of bad posture or I'm OK?

Offline Rockett

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #399 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:01 pm »
Someone please help. I'm using a stratocaster guitar and can't rest my right arm on top of it like Justin does here. I'm more or less using my bicep to rest on top with my forearm being almost parallel to the strings. Is this okay?

Offline SiegeFrog

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2016, 09:55:17 pm »
A picture would be really helpful

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline ajc24

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2016, 07:33:10 pm »
Hi everyone  :)

I have a query about thumb placement and thumb pressure. I'm on Stage 2 of the Beginners Course and am happily practicing all of my A, Am, D, Dm, E and Em chords. However it's the A chord where I notice this issue more-so.

Please note that I am also following this chord sequence from Justins Beginners Coursebook: A, D, Dm, A with 4 down strums per bar and @ 40 bpm (I was at 60bpm but I found some of the changes to be too difficult at speed and slowed it down).

The part where I have to strum 8 consecutive beats on A is where I'm having my issue. Because my index finger is so far away from the 2nd fret (as it naturally falls back towards the first fret given how Justin wants us to achieve an A chord at this early stage), I find that I have to press down quite hard on the strings to prevent the string from buzzing - and I've had many frustrating attempts at A where that one string will buzz horribly.

What I notice is that, because I have to apply extra pressure for that string, my thumb gets very tired by the end of strumming the two A chords (I have to hold that A chord in place for 8 seconds at 60bpm or 12 seconds at 40bpm). It's getting better as I practice daily but it's still a noticeable issue and has led to the following chords being that bit sloppier at times.

Is this natural early on to find the A chord so much harder to press down on? Is the thumb tiredness down to just a simple lack of finger strength - which will come with practice? Or am I placing something incorrectly?

Offline Rockett

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2016, 12:23:51 pm »
Can anyone explain why justin doesn't recommend to practice standing up all the time?