Author Topic: BC-166 • Picking Individual Strings  (Read 7190 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
    • justinguitar.com
BC-166 • Picking Individual Strings
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:13:02 pm »
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:37:20 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

JFH

Re: BC-166 • Picking Individual Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:31 am »
I am asking this question from a technical point of view.  Is it okay to rest the lower part of my palm on the bridge and strings of my acoustic guitar? 

Davidox

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:18:56 pm »
I'm not sure where i should ask this. I'm actually doing the intermediate course but i bought a new guitar (an electric one). I played always acoustic by the way. Now when i'm picking strings individually in my electric i find myself touching the pickups with my pick and it feels really strange. I'm not sure if it's normal doing this, or should i just touch the strings with the tip of the pick? so that i don't touch the pickup? i think e put my pick too much "into" de guitar.. if you know what i mean.. i don't know how to explain it really... Just wanted to know if it's normal to touch the pickups while playing or if i should try to not do it..
Thanks

Offline Caroline

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-166 • Picking Individual Strings - Standard picking?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:25:33 am »
I've found a really easy song (Springsteen's Nebraska) with picked chords (all A D and G) but I can't find any basic introduction to standard picking other than it's suppose to be up down up down. As far as I understand there are certain string to pick for every open chord. Could anyone help me with the standard picking for the open chords?

Thanks,
Caroline

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
I find it in convenient and a little odd to use an anchor. I find it comfortable to pick without an anchor. Is that ok to do or it is a bad habit I will regret later?

Shabby

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:46:08 pm »
Up until now I've only heard achoring being a bad thing (I've been playing for around 3 and a half years but consider myself a bad player which is why I'm doing the beginner's course). I tried doing the exercise using the anchor finger but it really feels uncomfortable. Is using the anchor finger really essential for scales?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »
For some people it is but I personally don't use an anchor finger. I find it slows me down. If you find
it uncomfortable and not using one doesn't hurt your ability to play then don't use one.

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 10:24:35 pm »
I felt the same way when I started. Today I'm sometimes using an anchor finger, and sometimes I don't. There's no fixed rule here, you can play either way. It gets easier with practic, though - as usual ;)

bullseye

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:54 pm »
Hallo,
can I look down on my picking hand or should I avoid it and just look straight or to my fretting hand, while doing this exercise or playing picking song.

Thank you :)

Offline serego

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 02:39:19 pm »
Hallo,
can I look down on my picking hand or should I avoid it and just look straight or to my fretting hand, while doing this exercise or playing picking song.

Thank you :)

Hi, i am at the stage 6 also and i had the same question, so after a small research in the forum i found that:
There is  nothing bad  if you are looking your picking hand at the beginning, but you have to try stop looking at this hand after some time,when you become better in picking. You should try to make your picking hand "Have his own Eyes",as i read, and focus on the fretting hand.
Sorry for my bad English, Hope i helped you.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:31 pm »
I've just started stage 6. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice where I just anchor my little finger on a strat, the tone and volume seem to get in the way.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline Rov

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 02:21:38 pm »
Hey guys,

just some stupid questions about picking :

- about anchor fingers, do you use it in songs or is it just for scales ? I am not sure how it is supposed to work, for exemple you strum "normally" and then when you have to pick some strings you place the anchor finger ?

- is there another lesson about picking and how to improve it ? This seems to be the first lesson and just an introduction but can't find any other in the beginners course (besides the lessons about scales, maybe one is supposed to improve picking just by learning scales ?)

Thx :) !

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
Anchor fingers:  How you practice is how you play, generally.  I use an anchor finger at times, comes off for strumming and on for picking.  It begins to happen naturally without much thought.

Yes lots more picking to come.  This lesson is just gettimg your feet wet.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.