Author Topic: BC-195 • Minor Pentatonic Pattern  (Read 13624 times)

Offline Matt125

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: BC-195 • Minor Pentatonic Pattern
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:42 am »
You could try to mute it with your pinky. Don't do a rapid pulloff. Play the note, release the pressure on the string but keep it in contact, that way the pinky mutes then string. Then remove the pinky completely when you're ready to play the next note. Palm muting is not easy but you should learn how to do it as well.

Offline thirdy

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 02:22:57 pm »
You could try to mute it with your pinky. Don't do a rapid pulloff. Play the note, release the pressure on the string but keep it in contact, that way the pinky mutes then string. Then remove the pinky completely when you're ready to play the next note. Palm muting is not easy but you should learn how to do it as well.

Thanks. It's also explained on this lesson:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/RO-003-FastLicks1.php

I hope I can learn it naturally as I practice and practice; just like how you play it cleanly when you play chords and strum.

Offline ajanderson

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:56 am »
Yes. It's strictly up down up down up down. I know if you've just done a downpick and your next note is on the string below you think, "my hand's traveling in that direction so why not do another downpick?" but that's not the point of the exercise. I find alternate picking helps with speed and accuracy because you have to know where the strings are when going from a downpicked g string to an uppicked b string. It's like a mini jump and I suppose it helps further down the line when you get to bigger string jumping.

I tried this kind of alternate picking for the "Rolling Pattern" and it feels EXTREMELY awkward. I just feels weird to do an up strum when the pick is already resting above the string you want to play. Is this just a practice technique or does this kind of alternate picking help when you are actually playing?

Offline DarkHorse

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 08:21:57 am »
I tried this kind of alternate picking for the "Rolling Pattern" and it feels EXTREMELY awkward. I just feels weird to do an up strum when the pick is already resting above the string you want to play. Is this just a practice technique or does this kind of alternate picking help when you are actually playing?
I'm doing some improv now with the minor penta and there's two things I've realised: 1) practising alternate picking all the time will get it into your playing naturally 2) it is noticeably easier to use alternate picking than all downs in this context.
I'm not a huge fan of just sitting doing the rolling pattern and I'm not very fast either, but it does help you to spice up your improv, as does making up your own patterns (e.g. I've made up my own that involves two string jumps). Keep at it.