Author Topic: BC-139 • Stage 3 Practice Schedule  (Read 20483 times)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BC-139 • Stage 3 Practice Schedule
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:34 am »
Thanks David. I had my A to Dm OMC over 50 from stage 2 and of course now playing a girl like you I have that plus Dm to Em. Switching to and from Dm was difficult at first but it's getting easier every time I practice. I've been thinking about which stage 3 song to add. Brown Eyed Girl, How to Save a Life, or Hey Joe are my top choices.

Thanks Darrell for the tip. That sounds like a great addition to my practice routine
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline alball

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »
I'm beginning to feel like I'll never get past stage 3. I've  practicing 3-7 days a week for the last three weeks (I'm in week 4 now). My OMCs at this stage, except for C-Am, are all 30-40 and I'm struggling with learning A Girl Like You from stage 2. My rhythm is improving I guess but sometimes miss on the upstrum. Anyone else been through similar experiences? I felt like I made progress easier in stage 1 and 2 hitting OMC targets and the like.

I found that Girl Like You was the trickiest of the stage three songs, even though it appears first in the book. I have been plugging away at it and am starting to get it. I found a video on youtube of Edwyn & chums playing it is that is good to play along with, just search youtube for "edwyn collins-girl like you other voices".

Offline DevonS

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 10:49:53 pm »
This really is a great course.  I've tried off and on for 30 years to learn on an acoustic.  I'm now renting an electric and will likely buy one of my own soon.  My one minute changes are 50-70 depending on the change, but at higher speeds I'd say only 60% of the chords are clean.  I know they'll get better with practice.  The songs are a different beast.  I can't seem to play a full song all the way thru.  Though I can change chords quickly enough, I frequently change to the wrong one, then try to correct and forget what strum I'm on and it all falls apart.  I can usually listen and find my place again, but wow, is it frustrating.

One of the most difficult things I'm finding is trying to tap a foot, play the notes (even simple 4 down-strums), and sing the words.  As soon as I start to say the words, my tapping and strumming is per word, not on a beat.  :D  Drives me nuts!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App