Author Topic: BC-136 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 1  (Read 24828 times)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: BC-136 • Rhythm Guitar Basics 1
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2017, 02:02:59 pm »
I just started stage 3 last night. In order to practice strumming patterns before applying them to songs I picked the E chord and have been strumming along with the metronome (D D DU D). I find it difficult to stay in time. Any tips?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:29:49 pm by MPetten »
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline JdG

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2017, 02:21:47 pm »
I just started stage 3 last night. In order to practice strumming patterns before applying them to songs I picked the E chord to and have been strumming along with the metronome (D D DU D). I find it difficult to stay in time. Any tips?

Slow down :)
Formerly joueur de guitare, apparently password recovery emails don't get sent  :)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2017, 02:30:17 pm »
I don't know how much slower I can go. I started at 60 bpm haha

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
I just started stage 3 last night. In order to practice strumming patterns before applying them to songs I picked the E chord and have been strumming along with the metronome (D D DU D). I find it difficult to stay in time. Any tips?
Have you tried strumming along to follow Justin in the video lesson?  I found that helped me to get the feel of the rhythm.

I saw your comment on the bpm ... maybe try speeding it up to say 70 even 80.  You need to hunt a bit to find the speed that is slow and most comfortable for you.  The slowest speed isn't necessarily the easiest when you start up. 

And as you progress you should improve so that you can stay relaxed and in time at a variety of tempos, say from 60bpm to 120bpm.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2017, 03:22:45 pm »
Count aloud with the metronome 123and4 and goes between the clicks.

Offline JdG

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2017, 03:27:41 pm »
I don't know how much slower I can go. I started at 60 bpm haha

How slow does your metronome go? Usually around 30-40bpm.

Start there. If you can't keep time slow, you're not going to keep in time fast. No matter how much you try to 'force' it. Playing fast hides a multitude of sins.

And what Stitch said.
Formerly joueur de guitare, apparently password recovery emails don't get sent  :)

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
If you're just practicing rhythm (not changing chords), I wouldn't start below 60 BPM. It's harder to keep time below that. I'd start 60-75 BPM. Also, try muting the strings with your left hand, so you're not even thinking about the chord. Of course the usual, tap your foot, keep your hand moving, practice.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2017, 09:02:14 pm »
The problem mostly is I get ahead of the metronome so lowering the bpm and I'll really get ahead of it haha.

David: I'll try following Justin in the video and see if that helps and maybe speed up a tad to see if it helps.

Stitch: I'll try to count along as well as following the metronome.

SiegeFrog: I am just practicing rhythm. Don't want to complicate things with chord changes yet. I'm doing all the things you suggest already (minus muting the strings). And I'll try to find the right tempo. Maybe 60 bpm is not my starting point.

I guess the key is practice and I'll get it eventually.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2017, 11:28:31 pm »
If you're getting ahead of the metronome, then speed it up.
It's harder to strum slower, as you'll find that you need to pause your strumming hand slightly for each beat, instead of simply continually changing direction and keeping a continuous motion.

I used to start around 70BPM for learning new patterns. Once I could manage that, I'd then work on pushing the tempo in both directions.

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:52 am »
What I sometimes do is to simply count and strum at a tempo that feels comfortable, then adjust the metronome to that and work from there.

Indeed, slower isn't necessarily easier!
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2017, 05:25:44 am »
Thanks for all the advice. Sped up slightly to 65 and counted along. Got ahead a couple times but nowhere as bad as before. I'm on the right track with all the helpful suggestions.

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2017, 06:26:45 pm »
So just an update on this. I started Stage 4 this week but really felt ready to move when I could use this pattern to play Three Little Birds and even started incorporating it into playing A Girl Like You.

Offline alball

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2017, 03:14:39 pm »
I find the foot tapping to be so helpful in keeping the strumming rhythm. I try to keep my strumming hand coordinated with the up&downs of my foot.

Offline Elle Dechene

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2017, 06:23:18 am »
I am finding the opposite when I try to tap with my foot, especially my left foot.  I'm at Stage 6, can change chords with the beat while strumming the various RUST patterns, even sing along to a few songs although I have to be solid in the rhythm pattern for that to work. 

But when I try to add tapping my foot to anything (even just all downbeats on the 1 2 3 4 count), it all falls apart.  My foot (especially my left foot) wants to do what my strumming hand is doing (except all downbeats on 1 2 3 4 but I suspect my left foot wants to do something more interesting).  The metronome helps, my foot seems to like tapping along with the metronome.  It has a mind of its own, apparently.

I was watching Gabriella of Rodrigo & Gabriella and see that she taps strongly, and she's very percussive, so I'm determined to get this. 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:43 am »
I experience the same, Elle ... can only say keep practising.  It is all about "wiring" new neural pathways in the brain.

Last night I found bouncing the heel of my left foot came more naturally than tapping with the front of the foot when trying to get better at strumming in 6/8 time to play Hallelujah. 

Counting the time is also helpful to developing one's inner metronome.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 12:08:00 pm by DavidP »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App