Author Topic: BC-131 • The G Chord  (Read 65096 times)

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
  • SoCal Transplant to Dayton Ohio
Re: BC-131 • The G Chord
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2021, 05:36:02 pm »
First question on the beginner lesson boards and not sure where this fits in - It relates to "G Chord Hacked" here -

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-g-chord-hacked-b1-602

In the video he says to learn classic G "when you find a purpose for it" - Full G is "the" chord for the "La Bamba" Riff isn't it?

Anyhoo - I learned the G years ago with Ring finger 3rd fret low E string, Ring finger 2nd fret A string and pinky on 3rd fret high E string.

And by just rocking the Ring finger I can mute the A string as Justin says.

It seems to make the transition from C, F, well most of the "open" chords easier.

It's a minor adjustment I guess to use the middle finger on the low E and ring on the high E but is it that important to have that in the arsenal right now?

Going back to La Bamba - The C, mini-F, G (my way) transition is really compact transition. Roll the C onto the F then simply "jump" the middle and ring to the A-E strings respectively and plant the pinky down.

BTW - Don't ask me how I got down the La Bamba rabbit hole at this stage of the game. -  I stumbled onto the riff practicing Jingle Bells - LOL...

Then I went looking and found a video of Justin playing it/teaching it.  One of the coolest riffs in guitar history BTW...
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang 2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer

Get The Forum As A Mobile App