Author Topic: BC-131 • The G Chord  (Read 48854 times)

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-131 • The G Chord
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2018, 08:34:39 am »
Hi, I just wanted to share something I found out that helped me A LOT. One thing that really helped me to get new chords much faster was using a capo to learn them higher up the neck where the frets are closer to each other. I struggled with Gmaj and Cmaj chords quite a lot. But then I tried it with capo on 5th fret and they were so much more easier! If you ever struggle with chords that have big stretches just try to learn them higher up the neck with a capo, than gradually move back all the way to the nut.

I never thought of this! It looks like a good idea to develop muscle memory for the chords. Thanks for sharing 😊

Oh I need to buy a capo...

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:17 am »
You do have a way with words, Trish, and you've said it all  :) Try working on a song like Brown Eyed Girl to make some of the practice more fun when tired of strum-pick-strum and one-minute-changes.

I did stage IV to rest from G chord and didn't have problems with those... Which make me think the G Chord might be my nemesis! I might print out a poster and hang on my walls... Let my enemy be the 1st and last thing I see every day until I win the battle and distroy my Nemesis!

Seriously ill check that song... For the sake of destroying somebody's work of art with my attempts 😊😀😄😂

Ohhhh @Justin! Add to your shop a GChord t shirt! I'd buy that

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2018, 08:45:22 am »
I did stage IV to rest from G chord and didn't have problems with those... Which make me think the G Chord might be my nemesis! I might print out a poster and hang on my walls... Let my enemy be the 1st and last thing I see every day until I win the battle and distroy my Nemesis!

Seriously ill check that song... For the sake of destroying somebody's work of art with my attempts 😊😀😄😂

Ohhhh @Justin! Add to your shop a GChord t shirt! I'd buy that
More LoL

The last chord nemesis for me was B7...but with perseverance every nemesis shall be overcome

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2018, 08:51:55 am »
(Sharp intake of breath!!!) Wait 'till you get to the (dreaded) F chord  ;)
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2018, 08:56:08 am »
(Sharp intake of breath!!!) Wait 'till you get to the (dreaded) F chord  ;)

I heard lots of horrific stories about this demon...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2018, 03:01:44 pm »
It’s ok providing your guitar has been set up properly, granted it definitely is one of the hardest chords to get when you’re beginning but once you’ve got it you will wonder what all of the fuss was about!
Hard is when you’ve got a 4 fret stretch on a jazz chord and have to mute strings you don’t want to hear, they are so much harder but unless you’re a masochist who enjoys playing the odd bit of jazz you’ll probably never have to try playing them 🤣🤣🤣

Offline Tony Smith

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2018, 03:13:42 pm »
Hello. Trish, remember slow is fast. Work on that g slow enough to hit it clean the gradually speed up. You'll get there. With all respect, that capo may short change you in the long run. Cheers!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2018, 03:46:03 pm »

You can start practicing The Dreaded F Chord now. Just pick/strum/pick each shape for a couple of minutes every day. Build the muscle memory.

That's what I did. Still took ages to nail the changes though :)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2018, 05:12:21 pm »
It’s ok providing your guitar has been set up properly, granted it definitely is one of the hardest chords to get when you’re beginning but once you’ve got it you will wonder what all of the fuss was about!
Hard is when you’ve got a 4 fret stretch on a jazz chord and have to mute strings you don’t want to hear, they are so much harder but unless you’re a masochist who enjoys playing the odd bit of jazz you’ll probably never have to try playing them 🤣🤣🤣
Set up properly?i thought this would influence everything not 1 chord, I'm genuinely curious,what would make the f chord worse?
I got a new guitar, electric, my first, I had to take it to a luthier because it wasn't properly set up from the shop 😔 My wallet is crying. I wish I knewabout relief, low actions and rods...

Anyways Jazz is something that one day, far away, I'd like to learn 😊

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »
Hello. Trish, remember slow is fast. Work on that g slow enough to hit it clean the gradually speed up. You'll get there. With all respect, that capo may short change you in the long run. Cheers!
x

True. I did stage IV and stopped there. I don't want to go through more material until I don't have these chords under my belt. I'm doing some recap weeks of stages I to IV, it's nice to go back to stage I occasionally and discover how much easier it has gotten after being a while in the other stages 😊

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:50 pm »
You can start practicing The Dreaded F Chord now. Just pick/strum/pick each shape for a couple of minutes every day. Build the muscle memory.

That's what I did. Still took ages to nail the changes though :)

It's a good idea, but what I would complain about when I reach that stage? 😁

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2018, 05:38:54 pm »
Set up properly?i thought this would influence everything not 1 chord, I'm genuinely curious,what would make the f chord worse?
I got a new guitar, electric, my first, I had to take it to a luthier because it wasn't properly set up from the shop 😔 My wallet is crying. I wish I knewabout relief, low actions and rods...
Anyways Jazz is something that one day, far away, I'd like to learn 😊
When you’re doing any chord that involves having to fret more than one string with the same finger it’s always easier if your guitar has been set up properly, purely because it takes less force to hold the strings down enough for the notes to be clean. With a properly set up guitar you should be able to bar all 6 strings and play each note cleanly without too much effort, as a beginner with your hand not being used to doing it you might not find it easy to start with but with practice you will definitely get there; doing this has no real application other than to help strengthen your hand and get the technique, it’s worth having a go every so often even if it’s just to see how the strength of your fretting hand is coming on.

Offline Trish

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2018, 10:53:55 pm »
When you’re doing any chord that involves having to fret more than one string with the same finger it’s always easier if your guitar has been set up properly, purely because it takes less force to hold the strings down enough for the notes to be clean. With a properly set up guitar you should be able to bar all 6 strings and play each note cleanly without too much effort, as a beginner with your hand not being used to doing it you might not find it easy to start with but with practice you will definitely get there; doing this has no real application other than to help strengthen your hand and get the technique, it’s worth having a go every so often even if it’s just to see how the strength of your fretting hand is coming on.

Thanks for the explanation; I like knowing the whys of things... 😊

Offline KevinH

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2018, 02:41:16 am »
The G has been my first real stumbling block.  I am really struggling to play it properly and have yet to play it without muting both the A (with my 1 finger) and the B (with my 3 finger).  I have smallish hands but I'm sure people with smaller hands than me can play it.

I would normally think "just keep trying" like I did with every other chord but the fact that I have yet to play this chord correctly once, despite countless tries, makes me seek advice.

Any ideas?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2018, 08:21:56 am »
@ KevinH
What fingering are you using to learn it?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App