Author Topic: BC-129 • Stage 2 Practice Schedule  (Read 24671 times)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
Re: BC-129 • Stage 2 Practice Schedule
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 08:17:21 am »
I'd move on MPetten. It doesn't take long in the early stages to actually "understand" the material that Justin is telling you. It just takes a long time to "learn" to a point that you are semi competent in it. Just make sure that you can honestly tell yourself that you are fulfilling the goals for that stage. I can't over emphasise the need to ensure that you are starting to play songs for that stage. It is by far the best way to consolidate as you go through.

As you progress you'll get a better gut feel for whether you are ready to move on.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2017, 03:24:45 pm »
I agree with Rossco... You are probably good to move on.  As Justin often says: "Practice the things you don't know, not the things you know."  I struggled and struggled with the Dm chord and finally just got sick of it and went on to different things.  Eventually I forgot about it and probably didn't use it for months.  For the heck of it I started playing "A Girl Like You" again and nailed the chord every time.  So I agree with the philosophy that by challenging your brain to do different things will improve other things as well.   
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2017, 03:41:10 pm »
Thanks for the input. I've been looking at the stage 2 songs and trying to pick one I'd like to learn. So I think I'll give myself a few more days and move on. I'm motivated by the fact that after 2 months on the BC I see progress. I spent longer attempts trying to learn from books and other online sites and gave up seeing no real progress. I knew a lot of the chords before except Dm but couldn't use them. Those OMCs are a huge help.
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline Fret Buzz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:20 am »
...I've been looking at the stage 2 songs and trying to pick one I'd like to learn...

MPatten,

I also spent some time trying to figure out a stage 2 song I liked. I recommend trying "All Your Love (I Miss Loving)" by Clapton & the Bluesbreakers. It uses all 3 of the Stage 2 minor grips and I dig the bluesy groove (in theory anyway. I'm still working on getting it to sound right!). Anyway, it turned out to be just what I was looking for.

I don't think Justin has a video for it yet, but if you have the BC Songbook Vol 1 it's in there.
BC: Restarted July 2017. Currently on Stage 8.

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 04:09:52 am »
Thanks. I do have Vol. 1 of the songbook and that's the one I practiced tonight Fret Buzz. Great suggestion
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline Fret Buzz

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 10:38:07 am »
Glad to help. Happy playing!
BC: Restarted July 2017. Currently on Stage 8.

Offline humblebee

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 12:53:05 pm »
Hi there,

I'm right now working on stage 2 practice schedule and have a few questions for the legends out here on easy songs to play:

1. Do I also need to sing or just play along with the song? I can do all 4 down strums but the moment I try and sing I'm all over the place.

2. I was really hoping to play lay down sally and desire but their tempo is too fast for someone at my stage of learning. I also can't slow them down. I'm not sure how I can practice these. Or should I come to these later on as I progress. What would you suggest?

Thanks....

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 01:30:16 pm »
Hey Humble

Q1 - No need to sing, its guitar you are learning. Focus on that but please see Justin's lesson on singing and playing and how to approach it.
https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/singing-playing-at-the-same-time-te-901

Q2 - I use a piece of software called Riffstation to slow songs down or my Digital Audio Workstation - Reaper. But here's some other free apps you could use
https://freeappsforme.com/apps-to-slow-down-music/

Hope that helps.

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 04:23:28 pm »
Welcome to the forum Humblebee
If you don't have software to slow down the song you can slow down youtube
videos.
Click on the settings icon (the little gear) and select the speed you want.
75%  50% or 25%.
Justin also does a slow play in the video and calls out the chords. You can use
the same settings to slow this down aswell.

Lay Down Sally is a great song to learn because it will grow as your skills improve
from 4 down strums to full on blues with fills.
Remember to start slow you will speed up as you improve.

Offline Mpiece11

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2019, 06:00:28 pm »
I have a question on how to calculate the 60 chord change a minute.

I am fast enough with my fretting hand to go at over 70 bpm, but at this speed I can’t take the time to look at my strumming hand or else I go at ~45, so I need to avoid looking at it. Most of the time I think I it the right string, but I can’t be sure without looking and sometimes with the speed of everything I can’t hear it.

Did you guys wait until you were able to confirm the string were hit correctly before moving?
 I have no problem with doing the chord and there is no buzzing. (Only it sounds bad because I don’t have time to mute so when I lift up there is a weird sound in between chord). I can play songs at full speed pretty good, rarely messing up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App