Author Topic: BC-127 • Easy Songs for Stage 2  (Read 23546 times)

Offline auburntsts

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-127 • Easy Songs for Stage 2
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 01:18:46 pm »
Can you do it to a metronome? A lot of people find it hard to count or tap their foot at the beginning
because their timing isn't very good so when you don't count it doesn't sound out of time.
Set your metronome at a comfortable speed and play along with the ticks. Once you're comfortable
doing this count and play along with the ticks.
Check out this video from Justin.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-403-TheDisappearingMetronomeTrick.php

Same with playing and singing. Most people find it hard because they try and play what they sing.
When it's the other way around you need to sing in time with your playing.

Try this

Haven't tried to use a metronome yet - I've watched the video, but that's it to this point.  Again this was really just an observation because I jumped right to the "advanced" strumming for Louie Louie and simply found it curious that I could play it better by just making it sound right without attempting to count.  It's not an issue and I'll be getting into the metronome and foot tapping this weekend. 

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 02:22:32 pm »
However the moment I tried to count (ie 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, etc) and play 3 down strums on the 1, "and", and 2 the whole thing would fall apart.  Since I just started I'm not concerned, just curious as to whether that's normal-- you know, being able to play something better by ear vs playing mechanically by counting?

It's probably not typical, but it's certainly ideal. Like you, i stumbled over everything when I tried to count strums to beats. I did far better, far quicker trusting my ears and just playing the rhythm i heard.

If you can do that, you're simply doing what others find they need to learn mechanically. But the metronome is important to help you keep in time. You may not need to count, but without one, it's easy to speed up and slow down and get out of time, until you develop your internal metronome.

Offline MrsBoats

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2016, 04:35:24 pm »
Haven't tried to use a metronome yet - I've watched the video, but that's it to this point.  Again this was really just an observation because I jumped right to the "advanced" strumming for Louie Louie and simply found it curious that I could play it better by just making it sound right without attempting to count.  It's not an issue and I'll be getting into the metronome and foot tapping this weekend.

I'm in the same boat....I find the less I think about what I'm playing and the more I play by feel the better some songs sound. Louie Louie is one of those songs. It can be harder for me to play the four down strums and count it out. LOL Granted, I played piano for years as a kid and through high school....so I do have a music background.

Offline guitarhero1117

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 10:34:18 pm »
For his lesson on A Girl Like You, are the upstrokes on the E-minor and A-minor chords supposed to hit all the strings or just the bottom 3?

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 03:50:29 am »
For his lesson on A Girl Like You, are the upstrokes on the E-minor and A-minor chords supposed to hit all the strings or just the bottom 3?
Bottom 3

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Get The Forum As A Mobile App