Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 45455 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:33 pm »
You should do your changes with a metronome and try and keep them consistent. Everyone one has
trouble at first with keeping time and it will come with time it's just something to be aware of.

Offline oreilly10

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »
Ah yes. 

I think I like that.  Thanks. 

I think I may switch all my changes to using a metronome.  Even the ones I have to over 70 and 80 I may scale back to 60bpms to get a rhythm down and make the chords clearer (often when in a hurry to cram as many as possible in a minute they come across muddy).

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 09:10:52 pm »
...Even the ones I have to over 70 and 80...

Dude! If you're up in the 70s or 80s -  STOP! Those changes are done - move on to something else!   ;D

Getting up to 60, or so changes a minute gets you the ticket to using the chords in a song without messing the rhythm up - you're far better off practicing them by playing songs once you've earned that ticket. Use you're 1 minute change practice time on some other combination that isn't up to speed yet, or steal some chords from the next stage. :)

Offline lurch

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 11:55:56 pm »
As some may have spotted, I'm a returner to guitar from being rubbish before, I'm finding I can nail around the 60 mark for most open chords, even G and C, but adding Dm to the mix has really screwed it up! I obviously have muscle memory from years ago for the rest, and this one is the carpal equivalent if Bambi!! I can hit it clean though.

Also having the issue of a couple of things, hitting a mental block if what I'm doing, as in what chord I'm meant to be playing next, and also string accuracy. Some fruity extra bass notes creeping in. Time to slow the practice to clean it up maybe?

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 11:54:15 am »
... Time to slow the practice to clean it up maybe?

This was my approach and it really helps !

But as you can see, I am struggling with the Dmin as well!

Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline Macabre

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »
... Time to slow the practice to clean it up maybe?

This was my approach and it really helps !

But as you can see, I am struggling with the Dmin as well!

Hi AcousticLounge, the numbers along the top - are they the days or the weeks? Pretty impressive progress, I have been playing the guitar for nearly 2 months (not every day I'll warrant) and am only around the 40s for the Stage 1 changes.
Any involving the Dm are a nightmare for me, I'm in the very low 20s! Probably less than that in reality as I've included the ones that don't sound 100% as it would be, like 0 otherwise!
Seagull Original S6 & Washburn EAT12 
Fender Standard Telecaster with Mustang 1 v2 amp
La Patrie Etude

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 04:19:43 pm »
Hi AcousticLounge, the numbers along the top - are they the days or the weeks?

Hey Macabre, I tested myself every 2 - 4 days. I include those that do not sound super extreme crispy as well (but as soon as if it is not that good, I do not count).
Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »
Hey guys. What helped in getting these changes down is to do them very slowly. Look at your hand in one chord and visualize the change, then make it slowly. You start to notice patterns forming in the changes. Once you recognize these, the changes get easier. At least they did for me.

Am-Dm is a good example. If you watch closely you start to see that they're mostly the same shape. All you are doing is moving it up one string, and spreading the third finger out one fret. First and second finger stay largely the same.

Offline lurch

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »
I've no idea what happened, I was struggling to get all the Dmin fingers down together. Not really picked up the guitar since Friday bar strumming along to a couple of EAD tunes and fiddling with my Ukew, but today the Dmin is coming along nicely, the fingers are all arriving in the same place together, Am to Dm is above 50bpm now, couldn't quite hit 60. I reckon it'll drop in like that for you AcousticLounge.

Still occasionally, on any 1 minute chord change practice stop in the middle as I've completely forgotten what I'm doing and what's next! Can't even think of the chord name when that happens, let alone the position!

Tried Dmin to a few other chords, they seem OK in terms of transition, not done them to a 1 minute schedule properly yet, but it's not bad and I have good confidence I can get straight in at 45-50bpm. The only weird one is G-Dmin. Bearing in mind I first learned the G years ago with the 3rd fret on strings 1 and 2, rather than just on string 1, and anchoring the finger seems to go from curl to straight, and it's like a pop, ever seen those "slap" wristbands? Like that. Sure a little work-out will smoothen things up a bit.

Only thing that's annoying me about any chord change is where you strum fewer strings, e.g. E-A or E-d or even A-D (maj or min) is muting the unwanted strings to keep the chord with the fewer strings cleaner. Main thing at this stage I guess, is the notes needed are clean which they are most of the time.

Interestingly, I tried the 4/4 strumming to "make" the chord changes keep up, it works, and I can do almost any chord change pretty slick doing that, well most of the time! Doesn't help for trying to play Desire by U2. I decided to leave that song along for now :)

As a side note, I'm being given a nylon strung classical acoustic soon, el cheapo kind of thing, but I figured it's be nice to have it about, and playing on a variety of different guitars is never a bad thing right? :)

Thanks all, this forum is brilliant for support and advice. I think half the battle is knowing and being reminded you're not alone when it comes to a niggle or a struggle with this, that or the other.

Offline oreilly10

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2014, 07:41:55 pm »
Man, I hated this chord when it first came across... but I weathered the storm and have it >60 changes with  all Stage 1 and 2 chords.  Stage 3 is a different story, but that one is on C and G.

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 10:48:13 am »
Man, I hated this chord when it first came across... but I weathered the storm and have it >60 changes with  all Stage 1 and 2 chords.  Stage 3 is a different story, but that one is on C and G.
Congratulations, I'm still working on it :-(.
Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline AndyJSO

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »
Hating this chord. Have done most of the intermediate method course now but keep making a balls up of this one. Constantly miss it. Playing all my barre chords and missing this every time  >:( :'(

It's so simple but my stupid fingers keep missing it.

Finger two is always on the money, one tends to hit between b and e, and three tends to hit g. One minute changes are not working  :o

Any tips on this?

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »
Andy, slow down and make the movements perfectly. However slowly that is for you.

Next, add in a metronome, real slow, like 40.

Once you can do it perfectly slowly, to the metronome, it becomes easy to increase the speed by upping the bpm.

Give that a try, maybe,
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:06:16 am by Dr Winterbourne »
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 11:34:09 pm »
I found Dmin the hardest chord other Barre F on the BC
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline 3shirts

• Good Vibes 2
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2014, 01:43:12 pm »
This thread has been quite a relief for me.  I came here because I have a bit of trouble with Dmin (compared to other chords and changes) so it's nice to know other people have trouble with it too.
I've been focussing on playing it and I have changed my practice to include 2x one minute changes where Dm is concerned.

It is helping and I have A-Dm and Am-Dm up to around 30 now.  It's still lagging behind my other changes but I feel like it's 'clicked' now and the way my fingers find the position feels much less forced.  Hopefully, a few more days on it and I should be ready to step up to stage 3.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:36:39 pm by 3shirts »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App