Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 44987 times)

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »
I've been playing about 10 years on and off and this chord is my nemesis!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Of all the BC chords Dminor was the worse other then F obvious.

I've notice that in some of the more recent beginning songs, Justin uses his pinky instead of third finger. 
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
Very few people seem to bother reading what Justin writes under the videos/in the BC book. They should, there's an awful lot of extra information/help/advice/caveats there.

You can use either fingers 1,2 and 3 to play this chord—as shown in the photo and diagram—or use 1, 2 and 4 if you find the stretch too much with your 3rd finger. See what feels good for you. Both fingerings have pros and cons depending on the circumstances.

my italics.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-123-Dm-chord.php
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2016, 02:22:12 pm »
Of all the BC chords Dminor was the worse other then F obvious.

I've notice that in some of the more recent beginning songs, Justin uses his pinky instead of third finger.
Yeah I never really struggled with barre chords, if I see a Dm in a song I play it at the 5th fret hahaha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Offline Debbie

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
Hello
I am brand b new to guitar and am having trouble playing DM. IT seems my fingers will not stretch that far.
Any tip would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2017, 06:28:03 pm »
Hello
I am brand b new to guitar and am having trouble playing DM. IT seems my fingers will not stretch that far.
Any tip would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello :)

Try your little finger instead of your third.

Quote from: Justin
You can use either fingers 1,2 and 3 to play this chord—as shown in the photo and diagram—or use 1, 2 and 4 if you find the stretch too much with your 3rd finger. See what feels good for you. Both fingerings have pros and cons depending on the circumstances.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-123-Dm-chord.php

And give the basic finger exercise a go

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2017, 09:07:44 pm »
Hello :)

Try your little finger instead of your third.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-123-Dm-chord.php

And give the basic finger exercise a go

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php
Playing C chord with fingers slightly angled towards the neck is almost the same shape as playing the Dm chord.
This has helped me a lot.
Greetings.

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »
I find my problem with the Dmin chord is not with my third finger but my first finger on the first fret. It's almost like it wants to slide closer to the other 2 fingers. Anyone else experienced this?
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline michaelholmes

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:48 pm »
I find my problem with the Dmin chord is not with my third finger but my first finger on the first fret. It's almost like it wants to slide closer to the other 2 fingers. Anyone else experienced this?
You can try putting fingers  3 2 and then one down, thats the way im trying to master it.

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2017, 06:27:02 am »
I have the same problem so I keep my first finger a bit tilted. More angled towards the neck of the guitar. I don't know if thats a problem, but it works for me now

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline rsophiuchi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »
I also had a lot of trouble with Dmin until someone suggested that I put my third finger down first, followed by second finger, and then first finger down last, as michaelholmes has said. That really makes a difference for me.

Susan

Offline Shinboner

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2017, 01:41:02 am »
I'm having terrible trouble with this chord.
One thing that seems to be helping is putting the capo on the third fret and practising from there. No muted strings or buzzes!
When I go back to the open chord from there it seems to be much easier and better. I'll keep trying that and see how it goes!

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50:17 pm »
I'm having terrible trouble with this chord.
One thing that seems to be helping is putting the capo on the third fret and practising from there. No muted strings or buzzes!
When I go back to the open chord from there it seems to be much easier and better. I'll keep trying that and see how it goes!

Yes, actually one good way to practice this chord is to play "A girl like you."  Capo on the 3rd fret.  Dm is tough for many people, me included.  I eventually just moved on and forgot about it.  When I went back a few months later after moving on several stages, it was a cake walk. 
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2017, 10:30:50 pm »
I just moved into Stage 2 and this is certainly the most difficult chord so far.  I'm having issues stretching finger 3, like just about everyone does.  I'm finding that I have to put my fingers at an angle right now or I mute the high E string.

But this is my first day working on it, so it will come.  I did look at Justin's stretching exercise and I'm not where I can avoid muting strings with finger 4 yet.  I'll keep working at it.

Not really looking for any help, just came here to voice my issues so those that come later can see they aren't the only ones with issues.
Guitars: Yamaha FG710S
              Epiphone Les Paul 100

Offline ajc24

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2018, 10:07:34 pm »
Not really looking for any help, just came here to voice my issues so those that come later can see they aren't the only ones with issues.

Much appreciated on my end. I've had quite a few struggles with Dm. Oddly enough my troubles began with my first finger on the thinnest string of the 1st fret. I regularly got a muted / muddy sounding note from it. Figured out, as I went along, that I was having two problems:
  • My finger wasn't strong enough to hold down that string effectively while stretching.
  • When I forced it down harder, it ruined my stretch to the other two strings.
It has just taken constant practice to build up the strength in my fingers (which also indirectly sorted out the stretch along the way) and now I'm hitting that side of Dm pretty well. My issue now is with my 3rd finger muting the string below it, which still happens more often than I'd like.

All I could suggest to anyone struggling with Dm is to play these two songs from Justins Beginners Songbook:
  • A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins
  • 505 by Arctic Monkeys
Those are the two tracks I chose because A Girl Like You has a consistent switch between Am and Dm and 505 has a switch between Em and Dm.

Play them. Over and over. Every day. You'll soon find your Dm chord getting better and better.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:16:23 pm by ajc24 »

Offline darlostrummer10

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2019, 01:20:04 pm »
Hi All,

First post so be gentle..

Got my first guitar for Christmas at 49 years old, so working through the BC currently and have been really enjoying the practice until stepping into stage 2 and the dreaded Dm. I came here out of sheer frustration and it's very encouraging to see that even experienced players still struggle with this Chord, so will be digging in for the long term.

The 1 minute changes are a real struggle, particularly Am to Dm, but also Amaj to Dm. i'm looking at my fingers and they just seem to belong to someone else when Dm is in the mix.

Tin hat on, provisions in the larder..... i'll report back in a month or so.

cheers

Get The Forum As A Mobile App