Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 49641 times)

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2015, 11:55:46 pm »
 :D   Hi Justin

When fretting a Dm chord my third finger just doesn't want to angle the way it should, turning toward my middle finger instead and falls short of the fret - is it ok that i use my little (pinky) finger instead for the third position? I'm on level 7 of beginners course and don't seem to have a problem with any of the other chords so far
Many thanks for your awesome lessons

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2015, 12:31:55 pm »
Suzi

If you are on stage 7 you'll see that the limitation of using your pinkie will stop you playing the Dsus4.
Edited to add ... Unless you find an alternative grip / fingering.

Do you put your 3rd finger down last ? If so try the Dm starting with this finger.

Also try pointing your fingers more towards the bridge so they are not straight on to the frets, that may help you stretch.

Finally do you do any of the stretching exercises ? As these may help. Just the basic Finger workout will stretch the gap between the middle and third fingers especially where the frets are wider up by the neck.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php give this a try if you haven't already.

Hope this helps but just try an persevere with the normal fingering.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:12:06 pm by tobyjenner »
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline suzidownunder

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2015, 01:16:30 pm »
Suzi

If you are on stage 7 you'll see that the limitation of using your pinkie will stop you playing the Dsus4.
Edited to add ... Unless you find an alternative grip / fingering.

Do you put your 3rd finger down last ? If so try the Dm starting with this finger.

Also try pointing your fingers more towards the bridge so they are not straight on to the frets, that may help you stretch.

Finally do you do any of the stretching exercises ? As these may help. Just the basic Finger workout will stretch the gap between the middle and third fingers especially where the frets are wider up by the neck.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php give this a try if you haven't already.

Hope this helps but just try an persevere with the normal fingering.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
I tried putting the third finger down first - and it works!  Thankyou! Bit slow getting it yet but practising!
:)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »
Great stuff, well done !

8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline rsophiuchi

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 10:50:15 am »
I was having so much trouble with Dmin that I thought I'd never get it right. Then I read the advice on this forum and changed the order that I put my fingers down. Strangely, I've found 1-3-2 works best for me but it's made such a difference instantaneously.

Thank you so much to all those that suggested changing the order of placing the fingers down  for this chord.

Susan

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2016, 07:11:56 am »
I tried putting the third finger down first - and it works!  Thankyou! Bit slow getting it yet but practising!
:)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I do exactly the same thing

However, I'm now testing changing fingers order in Dmaj, I have 1st finger on 1st string and 2nd finger on 3rd string. I found it easier to play all major and minor A, D and E.

Is it a good idea for other chords in later stages? E.g. F, G and C?

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2016, 10:24:38 am »
I don't see any problem with this. As long as you make the chord shape, it doesn't matter how you make it. To start with. Later on you'll learn about air changes and about getting your fingers in the shape for the upcoming chord as they are moving from the previous chord, then you can put down all your fingers at the same time. I think this technique is half way through the beginners course. Now I'm doing changes between F and G and I find it very hard to get my fingers in the G shape when coming out of the F shape. Even if I do it very slowly, I have to work hard to form the new shape before I put my fingers down. However practice and it will come right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2016, 04:25:32 pm »
However, I'm now testing changing fingers order in Dmaj, I have 1st finger on 1st string and 2nd finger on 3rd string. I found it easier to play all major and minor A, D and E.

I don't see any problem with this. As long as you make the chord shape, it doesn't matter how you make it.

It actually does matter how you fret some chords. Latter on you will learn sus chords and slash chord.
Slash chords have nothing to do with Slash the guitar player.

As long has you can play these chords with a different grip it's fine but if you have to relearn the normal
grip then you've wasted your time by try something because you think it's easier. So in the long run
it's not easier or a time saver.

There is a reason why things are the way they are and some time you don't realize it at first.

Offline derek.knight

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2016, 09:55:59 pm »
Sorry I misunderstood the question. It doesn't matter if you don't put all your fingers down at the same time (I thought the question was which order should you put your fingers down). However as stitch says, putting the recommended fingers on each string is important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2016, 03:06:06 am »
I've been engaged in a battle with Dm (which I call D mongrel) for many weeks. I've done at least 1 million 1 minute changes, I've stretched, I've visualised, I've said a few bad words  :-\. It can behave itself when doing the 1 minute changes, except for a lot of buzzing, but when I attempt to play it in a song, blah. One of the things that has just about driven me crazy is that regardless of how hard I press, what angle I use the strings buzz when I lift off to play the next chord. I find myself dreading it coming up in a song and of course I make a mess.  Yesterday I had an epiphany ....  if I get my fingers right up against the fret it sounds good with no buzzing. I tried closing my eyes to do the 1 minute changes .... perfect, sweet sounding, clean chords. Then I played my song with eyes closed and it was good. Hah, D mongrel now D marvelous.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:52:23 am by batwoman »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2016, 01:32:30 pm »
@Batwoman - congrats ! Sometimes just making a few subtle changes of position change make a big difference. When you hit one of these roadblocks, just experiment with tiny changes and you'll probably resolve the issue. After a while, this "fiddling" just becomes natural when learning a new chord or riff etc. Don't do anything major like changing the grip ie using different fingers but just try minute adjustments. Change one thing/finger at a time so you know which one was throwing the spanner in the works.  8)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2016, 05:00:22 pm »
if I get my fingers right up against the fret it sounds good with no buzzing.

This is how you should be playing all your chords. Some chord you can't get all the fingers
right against the fret but they should be as close as possible.
Good to hear you figured this out, now put this in your book of knowledge so the next time you
come across a chord that is giving you trouble the first thing to check is where are my fingers
in relationship to the frets.

Hopefully this will save you millions of bad chord changes and replace then with hundreds of
great chord changes.  :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2016, 09:06:44 pm »
After a while, this "fiddling" just becomes natural when learning a new chord or riff etc. Don't do anything major like changing the grip ie using different fingers but just try minute adjustments. Change one thing/finger at a time so you know which one was throwing the spanner in the works.  8)

You're so right tobyjenner. That's how I figured it out. I was playing one string at a time to see what was buzzing when I noticed where my fretting fingers were. Duh oh  :-\

This is how you should be playing all your chords. Some chord you can't get all the fingers
right against the fret but they should be as close as possible.
Good to hear you figured this out, now put this in your book of knowledge so the next time you
come across a chord that is giving you trouble the first thing to check is where are my fingers
in relationship to the frets.

Hopefully this will save you millions of bad chord changes and replace then with hundreds of
great chord changes.  :)

Thanks stitch. I love the idea of hundreds of great chord changes, instead of millions of mongrels.  I guess this is part of the overwhelm of a beginner. There are so many things to remember. Over the weeks I've been mangling D mongrel I'd forgotten about importance of fingers against the fret. I'll certainly be quicker now to check where my fingers are when I hear the buzzzzzz. I'm finding that practising my chord changes with eyes closed is making me more aware of where I'm placing my fingers.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 175
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2016, 10:18:04 pm »
I'm finding that practising my chord changes with eyes closed is making me more aware of where I'm placing my fingers.

I feel this is the best way for two reasons. 

1) it make you use your ears and not your eyes. Your ears never lie but your eyes do and music
is about listening.

2)It keeps you from forming the bad habit of looking at your fingers which in turn makes you a better
singer because your not bent over the guitar so your voice come out better.

Keep up the good work 

Offline antwilk1981

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2016, 08:15:32 am »
I've been playing about 10 years on and off and this chord is my nemesis!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Taylor 110
Vintage V6 Icon
Vintage VSA535
Vox AD30VT

Get The Forum As A Mobile App