Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 47441 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »
If the Dm is the only thing stopping you from moving up to stage 3 move up and keep practicing the Dm.
You'll find the more chords your put into your practice routine the better.
There is two reasons for this

1 if you play the same chord over and over you get grooves in your fingers that mute the strings. Changing
the chords around keep the groove to a minimum.
2 Your brain gets bored and stops learning after spending to much time on the same chord. Changing it
up keeps your brain interested.

Offline truxguy

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »
I`m glad I`m not the only one struggling with this chord. Are there any stretches to do that will help my #3 & #2 fingers get more separation? I can form the chord and it sounds clean through the amp but I don`t have the seperation. After reading the posts in here, one thing I need to do is change my practicing regiment and start practicing patience also. Thanks everyone for your posts and advice it`s very helpful.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:14:05 pm by truxguy »

Offline Newand(hopefully)willing

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2014, 11:53:11 am »
You might want to check out the video on the basic finger workout from stage 3 and start on that already. You'll definitely be able to stretch farther with confidence after a few weeks of doing that.

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2014, 02:18:12 pm »
Of all the chords in the BC other then F barre chord Dmin was the hardest.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline jimbouk

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2014, 09:14:15 am »
Hi All
Just started learning Acoustic Guitar at the age of 48, no musical knowledge at all so its going to be a steep learning curve for me.
i am currently working through the  course and have reached my first real challenge ''The Dmin ''chord.

Impossible at first but after reading this forum i am finding the 3-2-1 finger method seems to be helping me quite a lot.

Currently hitting around the 28 mark (14 full changes ) between Amin and Dmin , so i will keep plugging away until i manage the magic 60.

Thanks again for all the great advice

Jim

Offline ace74

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 07:34:21 pm »
Just beginning this lesson. I find putting my fingers down in 3, 2, 1 order is easier; alternatively, 1, 3, 2.
Also, anchoring 1 & continually stretching 2 & 3 helps that 3rd finger to " venture out" a little further.
Any probs with those recommendations J?

Hello out there,
I must say that I've made exactly the same experience with Dminor as Estel.
Placing the fingers in 123 order is possible but stretchy
Placing the fingers in 321 order is quite easy.

Unfortunately nobody answered to Estel these days, but I have the same doubt about this.
Is there any reason not to grab Dm in that way (bad habbit and so on)

Thanks a lot,
Alan

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 08:15:25 pm »
Long term you will end up putting your fingers down at about the same time.  I cannot see any irreparable damage with 3 2 1...

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline FPS

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Finger order is an individual thing. What ever floats your boat. And as shadow said, you will learn air changes eventually. So I can't see any harm done till then.

Offline ace74

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your replies.
Before I can grab the chords at once I need a lot more practice.
Meanwhile I am proud for every progress I can notice.

Greetings
Alan

Offline Tazz3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2014, 05:35:28 am »
I started the DM the other night iam able to do it I go to DM to am and back, are there any easy songs that use dm

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2014, 05:58:13 am »
I started the DM the other night iam able to do it I go to DM to am and back, are there any easy songs that use dm

Have you bought Justins BC songbook? Chords taught lead into using them in songs. Can't be guaranteed they're songs you know or like though.

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2014, 07:37:07 am »

Some of the Stage 2 songs contain Dm. If you don't have the songbook take a look at some of Justin's song lessons from that stage. A Girl Like You, Natural Mystic, St. James Infirmary Blues, All Your Love.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Nick77

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:47 pm »
I really hate this chord, it is actually getting me depressed! I have been working on Girl Like You and whilst I am getting better I do at times wonder if I will ever get there. Aside from the stretch which everyone seems to struggle with at the beginning with the 3rd finger, the main problem I seem to have with this chord is my first finger rarely rings true on the thinnest string. It also hurts a lot and I have to press down very hard to get it to ring true which is pretty painful. I have been playing for just under 2 months every day (with perhaps 2 or 3 days skipped) so my fingers should be used to it by now? I have a Taylor 414ce which I bought when I started and I am convinced the action is a little high for a beginner but my guitar teacher says the action is low and it's great. I went to Australia for Xmas and bought a cheap steel string guitar whilst there just to keep up the practice and it was so much easier to play the chords on that as I hardly had to press down at all. My Taylor, particularly the two thinnest strings, is much harder and more painful to play on. Is this normal for a Taylor as from everything I read they are known for playability with low action etc etc. I'm a beginner so am just cracking on but the fact that it hurts more than the cheaper guitar I bought down under does make me think I might be onto something? Anyone have any experience on this? The strings are what it came with and Elixir HD Light Nanoweb. Thank you!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2015, 07:59:12 pm »
There could be a few things going on to make your cheap guitar play better than your Taylor.

1 It could have the nut slots cut deeper than the Taylor making it easier to fret the strings close to
the nut.

2 It could have extra light strings and your Taylor has Lights

3 It has a short scale neck like a Gibson 24.75. Your Taylor has a 25.5 in scale.

It could be that your Taylor need a set-up. Ask the tech to check the nut. If you can take it to a Taylor
authorized dealer the set up might be free.

As for the Dm chord try different hand positions the get the right curl on you fingers so your not muting
the strings.

Offline Nick77

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2015, 08:10:11 pm »
Thanks Stitch will check it out. Appreciate the advice.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App