Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 45469 times)

ErikaE

Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:44 am »
I find it a lot easier to avoid muting the high E string if I use the 1-2-4 fingering as opposed to the 1-2-3 fingering. With the 1-2-3 fingering, I am muting the high string quite a bit.

However, this makes the change to A (one of Justin's recommended changes) harder, as there is no anchor. I just started working on Dmin--should I use the 1-2-3 to make the change easier, or stick with the 1-2-4 for better accuracy? Both fingerings work for me, but I'd like to practice the better one for the long term. Any advice, pro players?

Thanks!
Erika

Offline jacksroadhouse

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
    • Acoustic Passion Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 07:22:54 am »
My take on this: if you're muting the highe string in a Dmin chord, there something wrong with your finger/hand position. MAybe your hand is too far behind the beck or you put your finger on too flat, or you're not really using your fingertips. Try to fix that. It's easy to say "hey, I'll just use another finger", but that won't solve the problem. Stick with Justin's recommendation and get it to work.

Cheers

Jack

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa--since when is Jack a "pro player"?  ;D

He's right--stick with the pinky and 1-2-4. It's an uncooperative little bugger but you have to learn to use it because it just gets more and more and more important in other chords later on, not to mention scales and improvisation.

WARNING: Everything I post may be wrong. :)
Some guitars, a ukulele and an amp.

Chirp56

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 06:20:15 am »
Had the same stretch/placement problem as everyone else…if fingers were placed down in the order 1-2-3 then 1-2 was fine but couldn't get 3 to stretch to the third fret.  If the placement order was 3-2-1..the same problem getting finger 2 to move away from finger 3…fingers 2 and 3 just wanted to stay too close together.  However, the 1-3 stretch for Dm was easy and finger 2 then just seemed to settle in the right place on fret two.  It turns out it was easier to use finger 1 to pull finger 2 into position than it was trying to push either finger 2 or finger 3 into position (depending whether you anchored finger one of finger three first). Using the 1-3 with 2 following approach also helped in moving from Dm to both E, Am and A (to some extent) as I had a lot more control over 1-3 movements and 2 just naturally took up the right position for those chords.  As finger 2 followed so closely behind…it did not take much more practice for all three fingers to land, pretty much, at the same time on their respective string/fret.

Offline Greenfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »
This one is a real pain for one minute changes but its nice to see I'm not the only one struggling!

On a completely different topic does anyone else notice that if you play each string slowly it kind of sounds like the start of Moonlight Sonata or is it just me?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:19 pm »
Good ear. Moonlight Sonata is actually a Dbm so your only one semi tone off. You could transpose it
up on semi tone to Dm and learn how to play it.

(Edit)
Here you go I found a version in Dm

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/ludwig_van_beethoven/moonlight_sonata_ver3_tab.htm 

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 10:49:43 am »
Hey folks,

how is it going? I just wanted to show you how I developed within the last couple of days.
I think it is obvious that Dm is killing me :-). I don't know how you cope with it, but i keep pushing especially the Dm. I still feel the tension between finger 2 and 3 when doing Dm :-).

Day            1    4

Am to E   26   46
Am to Dm   11   19
A to Dm   14   15
E to D   42   67
Em to D   28   63
Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline FPS

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 11:14:47 am »
I was also struggling with Dmin. When starting stage 2 I planned to spend three weeks on it. Dmin made me practicing stage 2 for 6 weeks. Changing from Amin to Dmin in particular was killing me.

Fortunately I can do 60 1 minute changes now.

Keep on practicing!

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 11:17:26 am »
@FPS
Wow, sounds very nice :-). So I have to push than. But did you do 6 weeks nothing else than just doing the chord change or have you moved to stage 3 meanwhile?

Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline FPS

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 11:35:00 am »
I spent six weeks on all the stuff of stage 2 with an daily extra practice session for the Dmin chord.

Playing "Girl like you" was a major pain for me. So what I did for instance was to put on the metronome and strummed the chord changes for 5 minutes. I started with slow bpm. Doing that really helped me to get that change from Amin to Dmin smooth and clean, which I never thought I would be able to.

I moved on two stage 3 on Monday.

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:16 am »
Thank you for this help. I will try a similar approach. My chord changes are not that clean, but by far better than at the beginning. Since the 1 min change is all about speed, taking care about a super perfect sound is not the major priority during this exercise.

How long have you practiced per day within the last six weeks?

Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »
Since the 1 min change is all about speed, taking care about a super perfect sound is not the major priority during this exercise.

Don't forget to place equal prioriy on the 'strum - pick - strum' exercise for each chord which *is* about getting a good, clear sound. (It would probably help with your A-E change, too.)

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 02:37:36 pm »
Hey misterg,

I already take care about this. But thank you for your tip! :-)
Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

Offline Arshile22

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2014, 10:55:16 am »
Ya, Dm is a real struggle, particularly with speed.  I find my middle finger sometimes wants to involuntarily lay flat or try to kick out my ring finger by sliding into the third fret.  It's the strangest thing cause no amount of concentration that will make it obey.  One thing that I just tried that is helping is concentrating on putting less pressure on the chord, just enough to make it sound right.  This re-focus on not gripping the chord to hard got my Dm 1-minute changes from an average of 20/min - 30/min which is still about half of the average of my other changes.

DA63  DE64  DDm32  DAm63  DEm64w/quality  AE62  ADm39  AAm56  AEm66w/quality  EDm40  EAm70w/quality  EEm96w/quality  DmAm43  DmEm52  AmEm64w/quality

Offline oreilly10

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 09:49:25 pm »
This is the 1st tough one.

I have been working at it for a few weeks.  I have the Dm and all changes through Stage 3 to over 50. 

A couple issues though.

I noticed on 1 minute changes with Dm, I will "limp" kind of.  It will sound like:  Dm..A.............Dm...A........Dm...A..........  is that an issue? 

Also when Im doing 1 minute changes with Dm only, I notice my thumb likes to shift along the neck as opposed to staying relatively vertical on the back.  Is this an issue?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App