Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 49088 times)

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:19 pm »
Hi guys,

Still working hard on my minor chord changes, things are improving slowly, but improving they undoubtedly are. I'm still in the low 30's on one minute changes with the D minor chord in play, as such I don't feel I should move on to stage 3 just yet. Can anyone recommend a song from the beginners songbook that incorporates D minor, which will keep the practice interesting but also help with my transitions? I have learnt and continue to practice 3 little birds, that's alright mama and the walk of life.

Cheers

If you have the Beginner's Songbook, take a look and pick one!

For starters there's:

Staying with Marley, 'Natural Mystic' is all minor chords - Am Dm Em. So is 'A Girl Like You', and 'All My Love'. That's reggae, indie/pop rock, and blues to go on with :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:18 pm »
Can anyone recommend a song from the beginners songbook that incorporates D minor, which will keep the practice interesting but also help with my transitions?
Tom Waits' Chocolate Jesus- Am, Dm, & E
Great song and Justin goes through a variety of ways to play, from very simple to 'more intricate'  :)

Offline darlostrummer10

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2019, 01:01:10 pm »
Hi all,

a while since i posted so i thought i'd update on progress, maybe it will help others following in the future.

I eventually went with Ain't no Sunshine by Bill Withers to try and support the Dmin practice. This uses all the stage 2 minor chords, so thought that would be a decent option. It isn't in my songbook, but Justin has uploaded a quite recent video tutorial.

Changes to Dmin are now around 45, which i'm pleased about so moved to stage 3 a fortnight ago and as such i am now working on Gmaj and Cmaj.

The song however is still a challenge, the change from Emin to Dmin is  a real ****** when trying to keep time, so i find myself limbering up with a couple of minutes of Emin to Dmin changes before attempting the song practice. I'd say i'm hitting it 50% of the time, or so,  as trying to force the change rather than slow down. As such the song very much feels like a number of separate practice sessions rather than a fluent play through, i think the middle section also is stopping this, it doesn't feel particularly natural playing Amin over and over for the "i know, i know...." section.

anyway just thought i'd share.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 241
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2019, 02:38:22 pm »
Hi all,

a while since i posted so i thought i'd update on progress, maybe it will help others following in the future.

I eventually went with Ain't no Sunshine by Bill Withers to try and support the Dmin practice. This uses all the stage 2 minor chords, so thought that would be a decent option. It isn't in my songbook, but Justin has uploaded a quite recent video tutorial.

Changes to Dmin are now around 45, which i'm pleased about so moved to stage 3 a fortnight ago and as such i am now working on Gmaj and Cmaj.

The song however is still a challenge, the change from Emin to Dmin is  a real ****** when trying to keep time, so i find myself limbering up with a couple of minutes of Emin to Dmin changes before attempting the song practice. I'd say i'm hitting it 50% of the time, or so,  as trying to force the change rather than slow down. As such the song very much feels like a number of separate practice sessions rather than a fluent play through, i think the middle section also is stopping this, it doesn't feel particularly natural playing Amin over and over for the "i know, i know...." section.

anyway just thought i'd share.

Good for you.  Keep working at it and over time it will get better, sometimes just demands more patience than we'd wish for.

I'd also encourage recording and posting to get feedback and encouragement.  Often times I find we are our own harshest critics and in the ongoing quest to continually improve don't recognise all we have achieved.  And the Community helps with that.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App