Author Topic: BC-132 • The C Chord  (Read 49494 times)

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-132 • The C Chord
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2018, 11:57:58 am »
Thank you! Then that is what i'll do!
Danielle,

Take it from a 65 y.o. man that what David said about pick accuracy should be learned first. I started learning guitar when 63, 20 months ago, and worried about the same thing, as I have large hands, but short fingers. So it was difficult to mute adjacent strings and still great a pure chord.

As you will learn, practice slow to be fast. Your practice sessions are training your strumming hand as well as your chording hand, so practice perfectly, slowly. The speed will come in time. Another thing that works for me is to practice with a metronome, starting at a slow tempo and increasing 3 - 5 bpm with each session.

Good luck and be patient with your progress.

Rock

Offline Marius

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2018, 09:59:11 pm »
Hey,

after I finally got the C Chord under my fingers I noticed that I'm always pressing my front part of the palm (more specifically: the first knuckle of my index finger) against the back of the neck. Actually that makes it easier (for me) to hold the tense/pressure to the strings. But I heard there should always be some space between the palm and the neck and I don't want to consolidate any errors. I do that as well, for instance, when I change from C to Am or E.

Does somebody has similar problems (if it is a problem at all) or knows if I should rather change this kind of "technique"?

Thank you!

Regards
Marius
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:31:35 pm by Marius »

Offline silman

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2018, 10:09:57 pm »
Hey,

after I finally got the C Chord under my fingers I noticed that I'm always pressing my front part of the palm against the back of the neck. Actually that makes it easier (for me) to hold the tense/pressure to the strings. But I heard there should always be some space between the palm and the neck and I don't want to consolidate any errors.

Does somebody has similar problems or knows if I should rather change this kind of "technique"?

Thank you!

Regards
Marius

I had the same problem and asked this in another thread. The answer i got is that as long as your palm isnt muting that high E string you're okay to play whatever is comfortable, but always make sure that its not being muted by your palm on accident.

As i did more finger strength training exercises i noticed i don't press my palm against the neck as often or as hard anymore so try to do more exercising.

Offline Marius

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »
I had the same problem and asked this in another thread. The answer i got is that as long as your palm isnt muting that high E string you're okay to play whatever is comfortable, but always make sure that its not being muted by your palm on accident.

As i did more finger strength training exercises i noticed i don't press my palm against the neck as often or as hard anymore so try to do more exercising.

Thank you!

Yes, I've had the problem you described with the A chord. Since then, I rotate the palm a little further around the neck so that the high E isn't muted (the knuckle of my index finger still touches the neck, though).

But if I don't have to worry about that so much, I'll stick to that then.

Thanks for your quick response ;)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2018, 11:54:37 pm »
In the early stages of the BC Justin advocates keeping your thumb in the centre of the back of the neck. This allows you to curl your fingers more and fret with your tips, which ensure you are not muting the open e string for C and A. In time your fingers will flatten and your thumb will move to the top of the neck and all will still be fine. But for now keep the thumb central and the fingers curled. Use the strum-pick-strum exercise to confirm all strings of the chord are ringing out clean.

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online Fetch

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2018, 09:11:35 pm »

In time your fingers will flatten and your thumb will move to the top of the neck and all will still be fine. But for now keep the thumb central and the fingers curled. Use the strum-pick-strum exercise to confirm all strings of the chord are ringing out clean.

Toby
 8)

Will this happen naturally as skills progress, or is there a point in future lessons where Justin says "ok, now it's time to start working your thumb toward the top of the neck"? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Micawber

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2019, 03:56:25 am »
Hi. I couldn’t find anything on this but I’m wondering if I can mute the 6th (low E) string with the 3rd finger on the C chord similar to muting it on C7?

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2019, 04:04:22 am »
Hi. I couldn’t find anything on this but I’m wondering if I can mute the 6th (low E) string with the 3rd finger on the C chord similar to muting it on C7?
Sure you can. Or your thumb.  Your third finger is right  there though.

Occasionally when it suits you might want to play the low E with the chord.   E is the 3rd in the C major scale so its already in the chord twice (D string 2nd fret and. open high E) so less is more with chords sometimes, so it can get a bit muddy with the low E.

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2019, 04:16:29 am »

2 minutes and 40 seconds into the C chord lesson BC-132 Justin explains
how to mute the E string with your 3rd finger.

Offline Micawber

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2019, 04:55:04 am »
Thanks Alex for the information on that, very descriptive and reminds me how much I have to learn. Thanks to you as well Stitch101, I didn’t catch that when I originally did that lesson, lots of information.

Offline Alex6strings

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2019, 05:24:44 am »
Thanks Alex for the information on that, very descriptive and reminds me how much I have to learn. Thanks to you as well Stitch101, I didn’t catch that when I originally did that lesson, lots of information.
No worries at all.  It's good to ask questions if you're unsure and although I didn't go through Justins beginners course I'm sure it's a lot to take in.   There's usually someone knowlegable like stitch or someone around.   

Sent from my brain using a device, invented by a much larger brained person.

"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Get The Forum As A Mobile App