Author Topic: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord  (Read 49629 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:55:40 pm »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: BC-123 • The Dmin Chord
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:13:04 am »
I hate this chord!  I dont like the sound and it is hard to switch into... My problems are with EMaj/Em/Am -> Dm... will I ever use those transitions because I'm about to give up on them!

DON'T GIVE UP!!!  You have to practice them to get them.  I know how you feel.  I won't give up though!  I want to play excellently in due time.  You have to pay your dues though.  Keep trying and never say die!

Licksnkicks
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:46 am »
It is all practice.

And even though Dm is not used as often as other chords - the finger movements and flexibility you learn while learning to play Dm come up all the time in other situations!

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Estel

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:29:16 am »
Just beginning this lesson. I find putting my fingers down in 3, 2, 1 order is easier; alternatively, 1, 3, 2.
Also, anchoring 1 & continually stretching 2 & 3 helps that 3rd finger to " venture out" a little further.
Any probs with those recommendations J?

unnamedplayer

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:16:02 pm »
OK, I'm not really sure where to post this but since it started with Dm I guess I'll post here.

Lately I have been noticing some discomfort just behind and right up to my first knuckle on my index finger when I bend it at that knuckle (like if I was making the shape for the Dm chord). I started noticing this when I started playing the Dm chord.

I have noticed in the morning it is a bit stiff and sore but if I kinda "pump" that finger a few times (like bend it at the knuckle making the shape it is in when fretting the Dm chord) it goes away.

I don't notice any pain while playing so I've just continued working on but like I said I do notice it in the mornings when I wake up.

I think I am a little young to be getting arthritis and I haven't been playing that long maybe 3-4 months.

Any one else encounter something similar? Am I doing something wrong with my finger positioning?

Thanks for any advice!

Quark

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:09:00 pm »
Am I doing something wrong with my finger positioning?

A couple of things. 1). How long are your practice sessions? Over exertion could be a possibility if you are practicing 4-5 hours a day as a relatively new player. 2). Have you ever done anything before where you would have used these particular movements;i.e. piano, hours of computer key board repetition etc? If not it may be just normal stiffness from joints doing work they have never done before. 3). Do you warm up before you practice? Do you do any of Justin's Stretching or strenghening exercises? Playing "cold" is a good way to get an injury. Using the stretching and strengthening exercises will help avoid that.

I am not a doctor, but the rule of thumb is if something hurts, then give it a little rest. If its just normal "growing pains" then they will dissipate and your fingers will get stronger. If the pain persists then it could be an injury and you should have it looked at by a qualified professional.
I suspect that you have gotten a little better over the last month or so and this has inspired you to play and practice more, giving your hand and fingers a little more of a work out, creating the stiffness you now feel.
I have been playing for years and I still develop stiffness when I practice something new, or play for extended periods of time.

W

unnamedplayer

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:13:39 am »
Am I doing something wrong with my finger positioning?

A couple of things. 1). How long are your practice sessions? Over exertion could be a possibility if you are practicing 4-5 hours a day as a relatively new player. 2). Have you ever done anything before where you would have used these particular movements;i.e. piano, hours of computer key board repetition etc? If not it may be just normal stiffness from joints doing work they have never done before. 3). Do you warm up before you practice? Do you do any of Justin's Stretching or strenghening exercises? Playing "cold" is a good way to get an injury. Using the stretching and strengthening exercises will help avoid that.

I am not a doctor, but the rule of thumb is if something hurts, then give it a little rest. If its just normal "growing pains" then they will dissipate and your fingers will get stronger. If the pain persists then it could be an injury and you should have it looked at by a qualified professional.
I suspect that you have gotten a little better over the last month or so and this has inspired you to play and practice more, giving your hand and fingers a little more of a work out, creating the stiffness you now feel.
I have been playing for years and I still develop stiffness when I practice something new, or play for extended periods of time.

W

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I practice 4-5 hours a day. Maybe 1-2 tops but I usually break it up (ie play for 15-20, take a break, go back to it etc.)

Never played any other instrument. I do spend hours on the computer playing games, but never noticed any discomfort from that (and still don't).

I guess I don't really warm up. I usually start by just practicing chords, ie strum/pickout/strum for a 5-10 minutes or so then go on to 1-minute changes or practice strumming with a metronome. I've just got to the part of the basic finger workout so I will start doing that on a daily basis.

I think I'll take a break for a few days and see how it feels (even though its so tough not to pick up!!).

Thanks!

Estel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:23:46 am »
Hey Guys,
So I did post reply No.7 about placing fingers in 3 2 1 order (as opposed to 1 2 3 order). Works fine for me especially with the 1 minute changes.
Would like to be sure that this is OK 'cause I don't want to practice "bad habits".
Any thoughts?
Estel.

Offline bluepingu34

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:48 am »
Ok, I'm getting a little better at it.  Starting to like the sound of the chord.

Here's a different kind of question... What chord sounds "lower" than Dm but can resolve to Am or Asus2?  Trying to put it in my song and I'm not good enough to tell yet, haha :P
Maybe you could try E7...

CaptainAmatuer

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:58:01 pm »
I don't know if I'm posting this question in the right place because I'm new to forums.

The question deals with the Dmin chord at the moment, but it could apply to chords I might play in the future.

I've been working at this for quite some time, and the only way I can play the Dmin chord with no muted strings is by pressing on the high E string with the fingernail of my index finger.  I'm pretty sure that this is not the correct technique. 

I've also noticed that many of those who play guitar seem to have an entirely different fingernail structure than I do.  Their fingernails seem to end about halfway down the finger, leaving a nice "fingerpad" from which it appears to be simpler to play difficult chords.  My fingernails (even when trimmed to the point of pain) leave no such pad.  When sufficient pressure is applied to the strings, this area will give way immediately, allowing for the fingernails to bear the pressure. 

I can't imagine that this would be good technique.  I don't know how to fix this.  Should I just acknowledge that I don't have the genetic makeup necessary to play guitar and give up.  It's all very distressing to me, because I really would like to learn how to play.

Please provide some solution, if possible.
Thank you for reading my question.

chix

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »
hi

first an apolagy  i dont have the solution, but  were thers  will thers  away  an wile this  might  seem like  big  hurdle ther  are plenty more  to come, if we all gave up at  the  first  bit of pain or  dificuty know one  would play. ther lots  good people on here who can shure  give  advice  better than ican an more experiacned, hey what do i know im only in the relativy begings  myself ish..  but   ther  are  ways round  things..

but one bit of  encoragment  dont  give up   you can do it 

aging_bimbo

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:56 am »
I had a similar issue when I first started, but I've found that with constant trimming the ends of my fingernails seem to have moved down the fingers (although this may be a delusion; it might just be the extra callous that makes it seem that way), which combined with a build-up of callous means there's a bit more "pad" than there was. So keep trimming and keep building callous!

Offline PJMCM

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 04:02:18 pm »
I don't know if I'm posting this question in the right place because I'm new to forums.

The question deals with the Dmin chord at the moment, but it could apply to chords I might play in the future.

I've been working at this for quite some time, and the only way I can play the Dmin chord with no muted strings is by pressing on the high E string with the fingernail of my index finger.  I'm pretty sure that this is not the correct technique. 

I've also noticed that many of those who play guitar seem to have an entirely different fingernail structure than I do.  Their fingernails seem to end about halfway down the finger, leaving a nice "fingerpad" from which it appears to be simpler to play difficult chords.  My fingernails (even when trimmed to the point of pain) leave no such pad.  When sufficient pressure is applied to the strings, this area will give way immediately, allowing for the fingernails to bear the pressure. 

I can't imagine that this would be good technique.  I don't know how to fix this.  Should I just acknowledge that I don't have the genetic makeup necessary to play guitar and give up.  It's all very distressing to me, because I really would like to learn how to play.

Please provide some solution, if possible.
Thank you for reading my question.

As Tourni & Irish said, it's difficult to tell without pics, but it sounds to me like there could be a couple of reasons for this.

Finger stretching. One of the main reasons for bad finger placement when learning is that your fingers don't spread out enough when playing chords. Dm covers three frets, and that can be a bit of a stretch when you're not used to it. Justin has a lesson on finger stretching - go check it out!

Soft fingertips. The "nice fingerpad" you refer to is something that no-one usually has to start with. This will build up over time with continuous playing as you build calluses on your fingertips.

Good news is that both problems should fade with time and practise, so stick with it.

Practise, Perseverance and Patience! That's all you need!

Peter
We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing. (George Bernard Shaw)

1986 Epiphone Dreadnought Acoustic
Freshman FA1AM
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
1980's Hondo Bass (DIY restoration fun!)
Peavey Vypyr 30

Harper0

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

Is this good?

It sounds nice, I still need a little help from my right hand though. My 2nd and 3rd fingers love each other too much to be separated lol

flyhead

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »
You do need to work on stretching/finger independence, but if you angle your fingers sloping more towards your chin (i.e. move your hand a little closer to you) the fingertips of your 2nd and 3rd fingers will be closer to the fretwires and reduce the amount of pressure you need to exert (which is next to nothing when placed correctly. Your first finger's outer carpel can be just about flat (as it would be if playing a two-string mini-barred F chord. Don't overdo it, though.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App