Author Topic: BC-119 • Stage 1 Practice Schedule  (Read 40660 times)

Offline elundril

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-119 • Stage 1 Practice Schedule
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2018, 02:02:05 pm »
Hi,

sorry if that question was already asked, i searched a little bit but couldn't find any answers.

So, i practiced the chord sequences, they sound pretty good already, but i get the feeling i have a little gap between the 4th and 1st strum of my bars. Its like AAAA DDDD EEEE DDDD, instead of AAAADDDDEEEEDDDD. Not very long, it's not because i'm focusing on the chord change. Would you recommend using a metronom for practicing?

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2018, 04:56:51 pm »
Hi,

sorry if that question was already asked, i searched a little bit but couldn't find any answers.

So, i practiced the chord sequences, they sound pretty good already, but i get the feeling i have a little gap between the 4th and 1st strum of my bars. Its like AAAA DDDD EEEE DDDD, instead of AAAADDDDEEEEDDDD. Not very long, it's not because i'm focusing on the chord change. Would you recommend using a metronom for practicing?

As a beginner, you probably do a have a noticeable gap between chords, but at stage 1, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just getting the chords changes is more than good enough.

The metronome gets introduced during stage 2, and then the key step after that, is the Forcing the Changes lesson in stage 4.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:16 pm »
Exactly what M_C said.  For stage one, don't worry about it.  In fact, as new chords are introduced, you will probably have that same problem with those as well, but then without even trying to work on the ADE per se, you will notice it going away for the A,D,E chords. And then it will go away for the Em, Dm, Am, and so on. 
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline elundril

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:53 pm »
Ok, cool. Thank you very much for your help!

Offline Tony Smith

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2018, 11:49:42 pm »
Hello guys. I reintroduced myself to guitar last year after a 20 year hiatus. Although i can remember this and that, Justins guidance is working hard on muscle memory which i sorely need. That being said i was practicing about two hours a day until i took myself here to restart from the ground up. The question is, practicing in half hour blocks with 15 minute breaks, would it be ok to practice with different sources or would it be wise to work back up through the system here? i.e. half hour here, half hour on Matthias Young fingering technique, etc...etc. Thanks.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2018, 03:34:28 pm »
Tony,
I was in a similar situation, coming back to the guitar after a good 15 years. I would suggest having a thorough look at the Beginners and Intermediate courses here first to assess what level you are at. If you were self taught, chances are that you missed some of the basics. For that reason I started all the way down at Stage 1 of the BC even though I was familiar with many of the concepts of the Intermediate course already. I'm happy I did!

I would advise against mixing different course methods at this point until you find that you meet the requirements set out in https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-160-FoundationConsolidation.php . So choose one method and stick to it (obviously here we will all recommend Justin's  ;) but ultimately that is up to you)
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline Tony Smith

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2018, 05:42:38 pm »
Thank you johan217. I did some recalculating and it has been 33 years lol. Your advice is good and gives me ideas. I was taught classical guitar and piano, and had a chance to play for the Chicago Philharmonic when I was 15 on trumpet but that was years ago. My mind knows what I want to do but the body is lacking. Thanks again.

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2018, 08:42:14 pm »
Even with that 33 year hiatus, you're probably well ahead of me, or will be soon :)
In my experience, the things one forgets are the things one hasn't truly learned yet. The rest stays forever, it seems. After being away for 15 years I still knew all my chord shapes, pentatonic and a load of songs. Following Justin's course from its humble Stage 1 got me into shape quickly and after a month or 2 I was getting better than I had ever been before (it does slow down a bit after that  ;) ).
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App