Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 229210 times)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #550 on: June 18, 2020, 02:45:07 pm »
Just remember strumming at these early stages means 4 down strums only..don't try and over complicate the strumming until you've got your chord changes using something very basic like this....sometimes it's not always obvious why Justin suggests doing things BUT it usually makes a lot more sense later on. You need to get this idea of 4 whole beats into your head and be able to strum on the beat.

It's frustrating that songs don't sound as they should BUT given it a 3-4 months and you should seeing more improvement if you've got these foundation parts right. The key thing is not to rush.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline MrPB

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #551 on: June 18, 2020, 04:25:45 pm »
Just remember strumming at these early stages means 4 down strums only..don't try and over complicate the strumming until you've got your chord changes using something very basic like this....sometimes it's not always obvious why Justin suggests doing things BUT it usually makes a lot more sense later on. You need to get this idea of 4 whole beats into your head and be able to strum on the beat.

It's frustrating that songs don't sound as they should BUT given it a 3-4 months and you should seeing more improvement if you've got these foundation parts right. The key thing is not to rush.

Thanks Rossco, good point and I'm trying to stick to the plan

Just fyi mate, I clicked on your Youtube link in your sig but it's dead. Might need updating?
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Roland MicroCube GX

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #552 on: June 18, 2020, 07:06:15 pm »
Cheers Mr PB and thanks for pointing that out. Should all be working now if you really want to take a look  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Sewerrat

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #553 on: June 20, 2020, 12:31:23 pm »
I'm not at that stage yet, but thats a great lesson, thanks!

The concept of it is sound though wherever you are along the route.
I'm still in the early stages and mucking up my changes quite a lot (still having a bit of trouble hitting a good D on the first beat but now I've thrown Dm into the mix I feel better about my D  ;D) but forcing yourself to carry on strumming even at low BPM helps a lot.
I just have to remember not to beat myself up about bad changes to often, as on occasions (ok quite a few) I might only get 1 good sounding chord before I'm swapping back again.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 209
« Reply #554 on: June 20, 2020, 06:48:02 pm »
I'm still in the early stages and mucking up my changes quite a lot
Are you doing the chord perfect exercise. Like Justin says
PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT
if you practice mistakes you will learn mistakes.

Offline Sewerrat

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #555 on: June 20, 2020, 11:10:07 pm »
Are you doing the chord perfect exercise. Like Justin says
PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT
if you practice mistakes you will learn mistakes.
Yeah, I’m doing the exercises. Don’t get me wrong, I probably made it out to be a little worse than I am as I’m my own worst critic.
I’m super conscious of that saying from Justin and I’m at the stage where I think I should get some one on one input to make sure I don’t do just that. I would like to do a regular monthly session with someone to make sure I’m going in the right direction

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 209
« Reply #556 on: June 21, 2020, 12:41:34 am »
You can start your own thread in the Road Cases section and post videos of
you playing and get feed back from other members.
It's in the Audio -Video section.

Offline coolbreeze

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #557 on: July 04, 2020, 07:40:52 pm »
hii guys, I started doing this course 3 days ago and I can comfortably hit a 50 count in the one minute challenge. Justin talks about 2-3 weeks before moving on which is a bit weird since I guess I should be able to hit the 60 mark in few more days. would it be safe to move on or shall I stick to the 2 weeks guideline and perfect it?

Offline Sewerrat

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #558 on: July 04, 2020, 10:50:40 pm »
The general consensus is to move on when you’re comfortable. Personally I think hitting a high number of changes is good thing to aim for but they also need to be accurate changes.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #559 on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:04 am »
Early targets is 30/40 pm and 60 for the later stages. Essences is also on the speed of change, so they do not need to be 100% clean but should sound ok.

1MC for speed, pick strum pick for accuracy. Simples  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline pclaradactyl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #560 on: July 17, 2020, 01:32:46 am »
Hey! I saw in another thread that some people recommend doing the Chord Changes on beat with a Metronome. They start it at 30 BPM and increase in increments of 5 and aim to play on the beats. It was a really old thread so I figured I'd ask here, if other people have had success with this?

I was able to get my "D to A" to 57 in less than a week, and while the fingers are in the right spot on the frets, the strum doesn't sound great (not enough pressure on the fingers, etc.). I'm thinking maybe if I aim to get better transitions at a slower pace and gradually increase that, my chord changes will get faster and I won't carry over the sloppiness into the song practice.

Thoughts?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 544
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #561 on: July 17, 2020, 07:14:08 am »
@ pclaradactyl

I too read the metronome tip thread today.

People there claim success so I won't deny them that.
My concern is that it is forcing a consistent timing on the chord change at a time when you are literally just training your fingers to do something they have never done before and there may be a whole lot of inconsistencies in the time it takes to form the chords each change.

Let's say from A to D as a very basic change.

Start at A.
First change to D ... 3 seconds.
Second change back to A ... 4.1 seconds
Third change back to D ... 2.7 seconds
etc etc etc

If a metronome is running with its unyielding regularity on time then it is impossible to make changes that stay in time with it.
The one-minute changes is not about regularity. It is about going from one thing to another at slowly increasing pace so that ultimately you can make chord changes that match with song tempos in real life. Those sort of changes for sure are regular, in time, should match the bpm of a metronome. But that is the destination, not the journey.

Offline KeepingAwake

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #562 on: July 17, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »
I've done it both ways.  Last spring, I was doing the original Beginner's Course and tried it with the metronome on the theory that changing in time was important and practicing bad chords would just make you a bad chord player.  The old course was also a lot fuzzier in explaining what counts as a change, how good the chord has to sound, etc.  (Saying it doesn't have to sound 'perfect' to an absolute newbie is confusing as there is a lot of ground to cover under 'not perfect'.)

Ironically, I found changing in time for songs pretty hard!  Maybe it's because of the metronome and maybe it's because I previously played woodwinds, but the idea of my left hand jumping ahead in time to fret the next chord took ages to occur to me and was very tough to get my head around. Even harder to actually do.  By the end of last summer, I'd just stopped playing.  I'd just gotten to barre chords.

Picked it up again recently and am following the new Beginner's Course which make it quite clear that this lesson is first and foremost about speed and that the chords can sound pretty junky and still count. I really wish I'd done it this way the first time around, honestly.  The new course also gets you involved with some fundamental concepts much earlier, like that your right hand should be strumming away almost on autopilot and your left hand will need to move early to make chord changes in songs.  I've not had anywhere near as much difficulty as I did the first time around, though of course I did learn some of the early bits a year ago. The Nitsuj practice videos are quite helpful and reassuring too in seeing what could be considered "normal" and "adequate" as you're there in your living room in a state of confusion and occasionally despair wondering why your hands have declared mutiny from your brain.   :-\ Now I'm on the 'anti-metronome" team for the 1-minute changes.

Offline pclaradactyl

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #563 on: July 17, 2020, 07:59:24 pm »
@ pclaradactyl

I too read the metronome tip thread today.

People there claim success so I won't deny them that.
My concern is that it is forcing a consistent timing on the chord change at a time when you are literally just training your fingers to do something they have never done before and there may be a whole lot of inconsistencies in the time it takes to form the chords each change.

Let's say from A to D as a very basic change.

Start at A.
First change to D ... 3 seconds.
Second change back to A ... 4.1 seconds
Third change back to D ... 2.7 seconds
etc etc etc

If a metronome is running with its unyielding regularity on time then it is impossible to make changes that stay in time with it.
The one-minute changes is not about regularity. It is about going from one thing to another at slowly increasing pace so that ultimately you can make chord changes that match with song tempos in real life. Those sort of changes for sure are regular, in time, should match the bpm of a metronome. But that is the destination, not the journey.

Good to note! I definitely don't want to turn it into a rhythm exercise.

I'll probably do some sort of mix. I tried the metronome today and it really helped a lot. My chords have never sounded better during Song Practice. Though I still value the challenge of getting my fingers in place quickly. I'll just alternate days where I go for "as fast as I can" and days I gradually increase with the metronome.

Or maybe I'll get the chord change to 50-60, and then slow back down with the metronome to speed it back up. I see a lot of value in working both exercises in my week some how. Thanks!

Offline Sewerrat

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #564 on: July 17, 2020, 11:23:51 pm »
I have found the chord beat exercise in the main app pretty useful for getting the changes consistent along side using the one minute change exercise. Once you get around the benchmark 20, 40, 60 cpm its a good aid for balancing the changes.
For example I found going from E to D harder than D to E so my one minute changes were skewed. Even though I might do 60 it was because one change was a lot faster than the other so I’d do 22 and 38 respectively, the chord beat exercise focused my mind to obtain a balanced 60.
I guess this would be the same as a metronome so I may start using that too

Offline Moose408

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2020, 07:51:57 am »
So I've just the course and am on lesson 1.

I'm confused about what the difference is between the OMC A to D and the OMC D to A. Aren't they identical?

If I want to change from A to D and then repeat I have to go back to A (A-D-A).
Same thing if I'm going D to A then I have to back to D. So my first chord is different but after that the pattern is the same for both practice sessions.

Am I missing something, or not understanding the lesson?

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2020, 12:45:59 pm »
Moose Hi and Welcome to the forum.

Not seen the new OMC lesson but on the Classic BC it was just A to D if my memory servers right. But once you are switching from A to D to A its the same but don't forget, that equals 2 changes, So D to A to D is also 2.
If you are repeating the changes for the minute it doesn't really matter where you start. However, in songs you may find progressions which include A to D or others with D to A. So going both ways will help with songs as well.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Moose408

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #567 on: July 30, 2020, 06:07:03 am »
Thanks Toby

Offline bobuva

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2020, 07:47:27 pm »
Hi Sup,

I'm also a beginner, just over two weeks into the course. I've found that the Chord Perfect exercises have really improved my ability to make the chords clear. I'm also doing the Chord Changes exercise (2 minutes) without any strumming to be very helpful. I continue to make mistakes but many fewer over the past week or so. Stay with it and be patient. I'm sure more experienced people on the forums can give better advice, but from my POV that is what has worked.

Bob

Get The Forum As A Mobile App