Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 223965 times)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 202
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2019, 10:29:35 pm »
Iceman you're looking at this all wrong. A song at 120 bpm isn't 120 chord
changes a minute.
At 4 strum to a bar and 1 chord per bar your chord changes are 30  changes
a minute. That's 1 change every 4 strums you don't change chords on every strum.
You can also slow a song downto aspeed you are comfortable with and slowly
work your way up to the songs tempo.

You don't want to practice sounding terrible. Slow down to a speed that you can
manage and slowly work your way up. Learning is not a race. It's better to take it
slow and clean so you're not learning bad habits and mistakes.

Offline Iceman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2019, 11:30:32 pm »
Yeah I didn’t word it correctly, what I mean is, if strumming 4 times a bar, then the chord changes would be equivalent to say 120bpm or faster, as You need to change chords between 2 strums, which would require a very fast change, much faster than the 1 minute chord changes at 60bpm.

I’m playing along to Justin’s app “Born in the USA”  I can do 80 1 minute changes but can not keep up with that song at all.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 202
« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2019, 01:28:26 am »
On the last strum before the change strum the guitar open strings. This gives
you time to change to the next chord.
Plus slow the app down to a speed you can play to.

Offline caiusbrutus4000

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #558 on: November 25, 2019, 10:11:37 am »
hello everyone i didnt browse all of the topic due to time so i hope i don't bother someone with this question but is it normal to have muscle tension in the forearm while doing this exercise ? because after hitting 45 or more sometime i start to feel tension like i have done light push up or something so i wanted to know if it was normal or if some people felt the same ?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 202
« Reply #559 on: November 25, 2019, 04:46:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum caiusbrutus4000
Yes it is common to feel tention in  your muscles. In a sence you are doing light
exercises that you muscles haven't done before and alot of beginners apply to
much presure to the strings. Making it more of a workout.

When playing a chord lightly press with your fingers and strum the chord them
add a little more pressure and strum do this until the chord rings out clean.
That is the amont of pressure you need.
If you need to apply a lot of pressure your guitar may need a set up to make it easier
to play

Offline caiusbrutus4000

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #560 on: November 26, 2019, 06:57:33 pm »
thank you for the reply  :D

i don't put much pressure on the string when i warm up and i do the chord more slowly
but in this exercise it's different maybe i apply too much pressure around the 45th change of the 1 minute change because it's around that i feel tense but thanks now i know that it's kinda normal

Offline stefney

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2020, 09:55:44 am »
Finally! I made a big leap with the one-minute changes. Even with the D chord it starts to improve.
My tips for those who have difficulty with the one-minute changes: practice a lot with the strumming exercises D D D D, D D UD D, D DU DU D, D U U D, ... and with songs.
What I notice with the one-minute changes is that my right arm keeps moving, so that my left hand now follows faster.
Whether this is 'the' tip I do not know, to me this seems to help.
I am not there yet but I notice a big improvement.

Offline buddyluv

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2020, 01:08:05 am »
Great info

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline MasterSandman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2020, 12:40:54 pm »
Hi all

Have picked up the guitar again after a false start about 9 years ago - so basically starting fresh, but some things I remember!  So far am greatly enjoying the lessons.

With one minute changes, has anyone found that they have days where the result for a certain change is well below a previous record?  I've been following the new beginner course for just over 3 weeks, and have just started doing the E minor and A minor chord changes from lesson 3, but have found I have regressed with my various A-E-D changes - in particular when D is involved (one day I will get that one sounding right!).

It may be that I have just had a couple long days at work and am drained, but I achieved 50 on my A-D chord changes after about a week (admittedly, they all didn't sound great), but tonight I only registered 38, and my E-D was even worse at 35 (previous record was around 48).  Yesterday was not quite as bad, but still off the pace.  I did feel like it was slower going, and they did sound a bit better (D is still a bit iffy), but it feels like a pretty big step backwards.

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #564 on: April 07, 2020, 07:30:24 pm »
It happens, it doesn't really matter, the more changes you do the better you will get.
I think the feeling of progress and feeling like you have gone backwards will stay with you for as long as you play but overall you improve over time.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #565 on: April 07, 2020, 09:19:35 pm »
So far am greatly enjoying the lessons.
That means you are on the right path.
Keep doing what you're doing  :)

Offline MasterSandman

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #566 on: April 10, 2020, 11:36:24 am »
Thanks jono and brianlarsen.

Last couple nights have seen improvements - just finished going through my practice this evening, and managed personal bests on each chord change apart from one, which was just one off the pace.  Highlight tonight was getting over 60 for the first on one of the OMCs, on my E to D, which I am pretty happy about - D chord still a little sloppy and not sounding perfect, but I'll take the win!

Offline BlackSabbath

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #567 on: April 13, 2020, 03:31:55 pm »
Progress after 19 days...

Just wanted to share my progress and get some feedback since I have no one to talk to about this stuff. I recently went back and redid some of my A E and D combinations as well as a few others, it's absolutely crazy how much easier those feel after a couple weeks. The first time I learned A, I was like "this is #[email protected] impossible!" but I now it's very easy and feels natural.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #568 on: April 14, 2020, 12:13:17 pm »
Just wanted to share my progress and get some feedback since I have no one to talk to about this stuff.
Don’t get too fixated with all these numbers. Remember to learn songs and have fun. Concentrate on the changes you need for the songs you want to play. That way you’ll see an improvement in both your chord change speed and in your songs as they’ll start to to sound slicker. Remember you only need to change chords as fast as the song requires. If there is a particularly difficult chord change in your song, concentrate on that change.
Started with JG Feb 2018. BC (classic) completed, now on IM, Folk Fingerstyle and some Blues licks and impro...😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline BlackSabbath

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #569 on: April 15, 2020, 04:02:44 am »
Thanks- I'll keep that in mind.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App