Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 182893 times)

Offline doudi

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #525 on: October 31, 2018, 09:59:53 am »
Hey guys! I've been playing guitar for around 3 years now on and off, but only until now that I had free time for practice everyday so I decided to complete Justin's courses and stick with them from the beginning.
For the 1 minute chord changes, I can consistently do around 160 changes per minute, some even up to 200, except for those with the dmin (which i get 90s). But because of how fast I am doing them the chords don't really sound perfect and there is a lot of buzzing because of how fast I am lifting off my fingers. Is it better to make the changes sound as perfect and smooth as possible and aim for ~60 changes(which I am capable of doing now), or accept some sloppiness and try to go as fast as I can since Justin mentioned in the lessons that we should try doing it as fast as we can even if it was a bit sloppy? Also is it normal to even go up to 160-200 changes per minute even if they sounded sloppy, or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #526 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:08 am »
It is definitely better to do it slow and correctly I guess.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline doudi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #527 on: October 31, 2018, 10:41:36 am »
It is definitely better to do it slow and correctly I guess.

So let's say I can do clean 60 changes in 1 minute, should I bother try speeding it up or is that just enough and I should move to another stage?
Thanks.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #528 on: October 31, 2018, 10:46:53 am »
Move to the next stage. You do more one minute changes with different chords in the next stage. You will get better with all your old one minute changes as well.

Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 161
« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2018, 03:47:36 pm »
Chord changes only need to be as fast as the music you're playing. I've never
come across a song that needs 160 changes a minute. Even a song that's
160 BPM doesn't need a chord change on every beat but it does need clean
chord changes. I think you should spend more time learning to play songs
with clean in time chord changes and less time on OMC.

Offline doudi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #530 on: October 31, 2018, 10:50:51 pm »
Chord changes only need to be as fast as the music you're playing. I've never
come across a song that needs 160 changes a minute. Even a song that's
160 BPM doesn't need a chord change on every beat but it does need clean
chord changes. I think you should spend more time learning to play songs
with clean in time chord changes and less time on OMC.
Thanks for the reply!
I can play most of the songs from the beginner songbook with clean changes, I was just wondering if I could ever benefit from a really high number of changes, but as you clarified in your post, most songs don't have such a high number of changes.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #531 on: November 03, 2018, 09:53:32 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:29:57 pm by joueur de guitare »
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline KotaGray

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #532 on: November 09, 2018, 03:56:56 am »
Got a question on the term "clean changes".

So, I've been practicing 1 minute changes with A, D, and E.  I can get the chords to ring out fairly consistently whilst doing the strum, pick, strum method.  My question is more about actually changing the chords and having them not ring completely out once I begin the change.  For instance, I play D, it rings, then I lift my two fingers to switch to A and my guitar makes a very odd noise.  Is it simply because I'm not transitioning between the chords fast enough?  I've only been playing for about 3 days, and I'm sure everything will improve with time and effort, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was fundamentally missing about changing chords.  Thanks.

Offline wajeeh

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #533 on: December 25, 2018, 09:26:06 am »
Hi

So i just started off, but I was confused if I should stop all my strings when I shift from A to D or just let them be?

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #534 on: December 25, 2018, 12:30:59 pm »
If you are just starting would let them ring but you will need to do both eventually.

Offline runcibleshaw

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #535 on: January 04, 2019, 01:39:41 am »
I'm not able to do more than 10 chord changes in a minute after about a month of daily practice. It takes me several seconds to move my fingers from one chord to another and I have to hunch over my guitar to see what I'm doing. I'm not seeing any improvement in my speed or in my ability to play a clean chord. I'm always either not fully fretting a string or muting another string. I'm not sure what I'm asking, but I'm stuck and frustrated, and I kinda don't want to keep playing the same chords over and over and make no progress.

Offline Shalo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #536 on: January 04, 2019, 07:09:37 pm »
That's normal at first, just keep in mind that with practice you'll overcome it.

I could be wrong but think I recall reading somewhere that you should only do one minute changes when you can change between the chords well enough, otherwise you'll be practicing mistakes. What I usually do since I've never really gotten along with the one minute changes, is to just chose two chords, set a timer for 5minutes and just foccus on those two for that amount of time, then I repeat it for another pair or two of chords. That way, you can just practice the chords you're struggling with, at a speed you're comfortable with, until you can change cleanly. When they've improved a bit, you could try going back to the OMCs. Maybe it's not the most effective approach, but I much prefer to practice them this way rather than the one minute changes.

Offline viprit77

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #537 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:28 pm »
Ok so at this point I have had a few false starts trying to learn guitar. But this time I really want to stick with it. So I can comfortably play the D, A and E chords and have them sounding decent. But here justin wants me to repeatedly see how many times I can switch the chords in a minute, with the target been 60 changes per minute. At the moment changing chords once every second seems absolutely impossible for me...He said the chords don't need to sound perfect but they can't sound terrible either.

I find if I am going fast the chords will often come out sounding terrible, and I guess I cannot count that as a successful change. If I don't rush I can make the change easily and have it sounding good.

Did anyone else really struggle here? Is there maybe a better alternative? I don't claim to know better but I thought quality should take precedence over speed.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #538 on: February 27, 2019, 12:59:45 pm »
Ok so at this point I have had a few false starts trying to learn guitar. But this time I really want to stick with it. So I can comfortably play the D, A and E chords and have them sounding decent. But here justin wants me to repeatedly see how many times I can switch the chords in a minute, with the target been 60 changes per minute. At the moment changing chords once every second seems absolutely impossible for me...He said the chords don't need to sound perfect but they can't sound terrible either.

I find if I am going fast the chords will often come out sounding terrible, and I guess I cannot count that as a successful change. If I don't rush I can make the change easily and have it sounding good.

Did anyone else really struggle here? Is there maybe a better alternative? I don't claim to know better but I thought quality should take precedence over speed.
Try this. Set a metronome to 60 bpm and start counting from 1 to 4 on the beat. Now  strum the first chords on the 1 and then change on the next 1. Increase the speed steadily until you're getting up to say 100-120bpm. When you're at 120 bpm dial the metronome down a to 60bpm again and then change chords on the 1 and the 3 again increase the speed until you get to 120 and voila you should be able to do changes at 60bpm.

This takes time so try to do get frustrated. You can do it just be patient. You'll find the counting and use of a metronome helpful. Go as slow as you need to. Regards the quality I'd say they don't all have to be perfect but there is no point practising getting it wrong. If all your changes are sloppy then slow the metronome down again until you're happy that the chords sound ok (most of the time).

Good luck
G

Offline Straitshoot

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #539 on: February 27, 2019, 01:03:18 pm »
I didn’t know failure was an option so I succeeded.

Seriously,, I just worked on it until I got it right.  I did everything I could to get it right ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App