Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 168265 times)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #495 on: March 22, 2018, 10:25:42 pm »
From Justin's web site
Count ‘1' for each change; so D–A–D–A = four changes

Offline Ahmad.mansour

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #496 on: March 23, 2018, 09:39:18 am »
Ah wow cuz i finished the course in 3 months and i had 46 changes almost in each change he mentioned but im was counting g to c + g to c=1
So now i got almost 90 change per minute

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Mo003

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #497 on: July 10, 2018, 10:04:20 pm »
Hey everyone!
I just started learning guitar yesterday! Right now I'm practicing the 3 chords A - E - D with the one minute changes.

But I have a slight problem: I have an acoustic with strings made of steel and the action is pretty high (I know it's preferable to set it up but I don't really have enough money right now to do it). When doing the A chord, I have to press REALLY hard on the first finger (The one far from the fret) otherwise It's buzzy, but it's extremely painful, so most of time I don't press hard enough and you can hear (a very slight) buzz.

What do you advice me to do? Should I just continue practicing anyway? Maybe I should do just the E -> D chords for now, until my fingers toughen?

Thank you!

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #498 on: July 11, 2018, 12:39:00 am »
Welcom to the forum
Keep practicing and don't worry about the buzz and don't press to hard
You've just started playing, your fingers will still be soft and playing
is the only way to toughen them up.
Once the calluses have built up and your technique gets better you'll find
the buzz will go away.

Offline Mo003

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2018, 12:28:11 pm »
Thank you!

But am I supposed to look at the strings while playing or not?

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 78
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #500 on: July 27, 2018, 01:32:40 pm »
But am I supposed to look at the strings while playing or not?
It’s better if you don’t but in the early stages of learning if you have to do so, possibly think about looking at your fingers through a mirror then you will be able to get a better posture!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #501 on: July 27, 2018, 04:26:17 pm »
Darrell is right, one thing beginners do that is a big mistake is lean over the guitar
to see their fingers. This puts excess strain on your neck, back and arm.
Have you watched the Justin's video on posture?

Offline tashmoo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #502 on: September 11, 2018, 11:21:06 am »
hey everyone,
i started 2 weeks ago. i am working on 1 minuıte changes but i got a question;
 changing chords is not hard for me , hard part is strumming. i cant strum right strings without looking and it makes my change count half of what it can be. if i strum all 6 strings or whatever strings i can strum, i can make more than 45 changes d-a. but when i look at strings to strum right ones it is 30 changes top. shall i just concentrate on chord patterns and strum my best and ignore extra strings that i stum, or should every chord be 100% with some minor errors here and there.

moreover;
in the video justin says try to reach 60 changes but it is written 40 changes before moving on to next lesson. which one should we consider right?

last question; some of beginner songs include an upward strumming which is much harder than down strums that i already have a hard time. (5 years time - noah and the whale) so i really sucked at those. is there a technique on upward strums that would be taught later on maybe?

i already read through first 15 pages but there are really very conflicting opinions on how the 1 minute change exercise should be performed. some say its main purpose is speed on chord changes and we should focus on chord shapes and strum the best we should but not limit ourselves by struming , while some others say we shouldnt practice bad behaviour cuz it will be harder to change later.
so i wanted to ask again.
thanks, great community here.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #503 on: September 11, 2018, 06:54:39 pm »
Tashmoo

Kinda taking your questions in reverse order and bearing in mind you've only been playing for 2 weeks.

1MCs are about building speed but ideally the chords need to be fairly cleaning. Not point in hitting 80 changes a minute and the chords suck.

Target for the first few stages is 40 changes per minute building 60 in the future. so if you can hit 40 cleanish changes for all the stage 1 combos move on.

Regards looking. Don't worry about, in fact I'd say as a beginner looking at the strings or the chord fingers is essential when you first start, how else will you no your strumming the correct chords. So look and don't worry about looking for now, in time you'll play without looking at the fretboard.

Hit all or just the right strings during 1MCs. Don't forget what I said about cleanish chords. So when playing D you should only be strumming D G B e strings, when playing A only A D G B e, if you start adding additional strings you are no longer playing D and A but a variant of the chords.

So aim for accuracy in your strumming and don't worry if this slows your changes down to start with. Once you are accurately landing on the chords and also strumming the right strings, speed will improve.

We've all been here in the early stages and its just a matter of patience and practice. That old saying Rome wasn't built in a day is so true here. Practice diligently and be honest with yourself and it will pay dividends in the long run.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline tashmoo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #504 on: September 11, 2018, 10:58:47 pm »
Thanks for the detailed reply toby.
Already got d-a 40 , e-a 35 and e-d 24. My chords are clean i mean there are no silent notes or anything, just an extra or missing strings( generally eitherE and A is extra or missing when playing a and d chord) half of the time. For me struming is harder than chords unfortunately. Maybe because i am looking at chords and not struming part. If i look at my struming hand than struming is correct but chords are wrong. I think i will go to stage 2 once i got all 3 to 40 changes regardless of struming quality and let the time take care of it , hopefully. Because it becomes boring and demotivating to stay at the first course for prolonged periods. Of course no hurries. Lets see if i can manage to play the beginner songs.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App