Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 146754 times)

Offline Gray99y

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #465 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:09 pm »
Ok I've been trying to learn the guitar for about 8 years. I'm still stuck on one minute chord changes. About 15 changes is my limit, I've never tried to play a song cos of my chord changes, think I know six different chords.
So when is the time to pack it in? Like I say I've been learning for a long time.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #466 on: February 07, 2018, 11:32:11 pm »
It could be your practice routine.  How have you been practicing?  How often and for how long?

You might want to just mix it up and try a different routine.

Only you can tell if you should keep playing or not.  If you still like playing, then keep playing.  If you don't like it anymore, then move onto something else that you will like doing.
Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul 100

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 353
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #467 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:24 am »
@ Gray99

Which chords are you learning just now? How long have you been learning for?

You have to force yourself to change faster somehow but things will slot in to place with regular bursts of practice.

Offline Del

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #468 on: February 11, 2018, 11:45:07 am »
@ Gray99y

Hi there's one thing i tried today that has really changed how i think about and intend to approach current and future 1 min changes. Also has given me more motivation and confidence.

I am now on stage 2 and, like most, struggling with the Dm changes, and hit a wall. Having been stuck for a week around the 19-24 changes mark involving Dm, i decided i needed a different approach.
I am convinced i have been trying too hard to cram in as many as possibly forcing myself way too fast. I found my fingers were just not behaving, they were panicking and screwing up lol. I wanted to prove to myself this was holding me back.
So I turned off the timer and picked up the metronome. I set it at 20 and tried to change Am to Dm in time with it. Something was definitely wrong here because it seemed too easy! Ok one or two of them were a bit buzzy but the whole thing felt more relaxed. I think its because i wasn't pushing to do more than i was capable of.
Next out of interest i set it to 30. I hadn't achieved 30 with Dm yet. i messed a few up yes, but the number of acceptable chord changes was definitely higher than my usual 1 minute "timer" mess and it didn't feel too forced. I really don't think it will be long before i can get that 30 comfortably and move it up to 35 and so on.

I since had a look and there is a thread in the hints and tips about using a metronome but maybe not in so much detail so wanted to share my experience. I hope this works for you and anyone else struggling.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:02:29 am by close2u »

Offline Gray99y

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #469 on: February 11, 2018, 11:54:30 am »
Just basic chords, A D E C F G
I try and practice for a shorter length of time 30 mins max, and more frequent.  It seems the longer I keep on practising a chord the worse I get.

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline Del

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #470 on: February 11, 2018, 12:01:42 pm »
guess you may have picked up some fundamental bad habits perhaps holding you back? Have you considered trying the Beginners course form the beginning following the lessons?
you never know it might reveal a quick fix or highlight something making things difficult for yourself?

If you have invested this much time so far it wouldn't be a lot of time to identify a problem.

Maybe another consideration, why not a lesson or two from a local tutor who might just clear the way once you get started?

you might kick yourself either way if you find something really simple stopping you progress

Offline neophytosdm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #471 on: February 18, 2018, 05:36:53 pm »
Ok I've been trying to learn the guitar for about 8 years. I'm still stuck on one minute chord changes. About 15 changes is my limit, I've never tried to play a song cos of my chord changes, think I know six different chords.
So when is the time to pack it in? Like I say I've been learning for a long time.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Hey man, I was having difficulties with 1 min changes too, that's why I used the method I described in page 31. It might help you. Just set the metronome at a speed you are comfortable making a chord change. Doesn't matter if it's the slowest speed. When hearing the beats you know how much time you have to make the change until the next beat. 
Also you might want to try "air changes" if you don't do it already and make sure that your fretting hand doesn't go far from the strings when you're making a chord change because that's slowing you down. 

And do not give up just yet, try what I told you because that thing you have problem with it might only mean that you did not find the right way of practice for you. Not everyone learns with the same way. And progress doesn't always come 1 step at a time. Sometimes you are just stuck for a long time and then suddenly you might realize a simple thing you were doing wrong and you go 3 steps up.

I also agree with what "Del" said. If it is possible to find a guitar teacher even for a few lessons it might help you to solve that one particular problem quicker. And finally I agree with "close2u". To have a bigger possibility achieving what I described above you have to practice your changes 5-10 minutes each day. Maybe 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes after a few hours. Let your muscle memory do the rest. And get a good recovery. 10 minutes each day is good, 3-4 hours in one day is bad. I will stop talking now. :Ρ

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
  • What next???
« Reply #472 on: February 18, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »
Just basic chords, A D E C F G
I try and practice for a shorter length of time 30 mins max, and more frequent.  It seems the longer I keep on practising a chord the worse I get.
OK, there’s the clue!
The longer you practice the worse you get - therefore you’re practicing errors and ingraining errors; have a go at just changing chords, ignore how many you’re doing just slow down until you get them right once you do and the changes become accurate then gradually try to go faster. If you can put your guitar somewhere you can see it and pick it up for a few minutes at a time, no pressure just a casual play!
Another useful exercise is to take each chord one at a time and go through this little routine - it’s something I use to learn new chords!
Fret the chord shape, play the single notes, do a single strum then lay your fingers flat lightly on the fretboard and do a muted strum, make the chord shape again...... repeat until you can make the chord easily and quickly, gradually build up speed.
I would also suggest having a go at a simple song like Three little birds and see how you get on - obviously concentrate on the required chords in your practice sessions.
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline Banksy

• Good Vibes 0
  • Strum on....
« Reply #473 on: February 23, 2018, 06:46:50 pm »
Hi. I also have the same problem as MikeG, though i believe it is very natural for beginners. If i try and not look at my where my fingers are placed, to try and get out of the habit, it is very difficult, i know in my mind where i think my fingers are for the chords, but dont always get it spot on. How or when is a good time for a beginner to not be looking at your fingers? As if i do look at my fingers, im getting an average of 16 chord changes a minute. The moment i dont look im only getting 8 changes if im lucky. While its fun doing the 1 minute chord changes, this is very frustrating, to get past. Any advice please?

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Leftie playing in a Righties world :)
Total Beginner, But we all start somewhere.

Offline robsin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #474 on: February 23, 2018, 07:06:01 pm »
For me it just came naturally with time. But it's not 100%, for example, I can pretty much hit C, E, Am and D without looking. I discovered that one day when I was practicing and I looked up at the sheet music and changed between a couple of those chords without looking. I was surprised. However, I still have to look for G (especially Big G, I don't know why adding D note throws me :/ ) and many others.

This didn't start happening for me until after months of practice.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App