Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 136433 times)

Offline Paulvm

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »
Nice graph. I find that I perform better when I am not overly focused. Starting with the strum pick strum followed by some light strumming does the trick for me.  Here is my practice schedule. I also have some chords I put one finger down at a time, so I added air changes to my strum pick strum routine. I started noticing change after a few days. I also do some air changes when I am watching tv. That way I am not watching at my fingers and must rely on how it feels. It works for me

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Melissa

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2017, 01:40:27 am »
So I've been practicing for a few hours a day the past five days or so. I have gel overlays on my nails so it is taking me a little bit of an adjustment playing with nails, but I'm getting it. It does make it easier on my finger tips being I'm fretting with my nails rather than my finger tips. Works for me.
So here's my question. I don't see that it's been directly answered. I've been getting better with my one minute changes and am up to 30 per minute on all three D, A, E. I'm having a hard time with the fingering for A with 1 on G, 2 on D and 3 on B but i'm good with the change over from d to a to e combinations using 1 on D, 2 on G abd 3 on B. The traditional way to do an A. Should I force myself to do it with the anchor finger with 1 on G? Will not doing it that way be a problem for future change overs or anything?
Thanks.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #437 on: August 27, 2017, 06:38:16 am »
Melissa, I'd recommend perseverance. I use both variations,  depending on the song I am playing. I think as you improve control and dexterity of the fingers you will eventually get it. And that will give you useful flexibility. I have no idea if using only the one will one day be a problem. Perhaps also start on the minors in stage 2 if you haven't already;  I have found that working on one thing often helps another.

Offline doolittle_

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #438 on: October 07, 2017, 05:03:35 pm »
Quick Question: I'm hitting the target of 60 changes a minute easily, but I'm still putting one finger down at a time. Is this fine? Or should I be placing all fingers down at the same time? Thanks.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #439 on: October 07, 2017, 05:39:14 pm »
Quick Question: I'm hitting the target of 60 changes a minute easily, but I'm still putting one finger down at a time. Is this fine? Or should I be placing all fingers down at the same time? Thanks.
If you can accurately hit 60 changes with all notes clean then you're ok, if you're fluffing any notes you shouldn't count them, slow down if you're getting muted notes until you don't, practicing errors will slow you down long term.
If all chords are coming out clean then don't worry too much, you will get it with practice.
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #440 on: October 08, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »
You're at Stage 1, you're expected to be walking your fingers still at this stage. Justin doesn't introduce air changes until halfway through the course.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline alball

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2017, 03:29:22 pm »
Just a word of encouragement to all those who might be frustrated at first...if you keep at it just a little bit you will be amazed how quickly you can become fast with these changes. It really is amazing how you can teach your brain, nerves and muscles a little sub-routine that becomes automatic, freeing you up to think about the next challenge.

Looking back at my sheet, I can see quick improvement, progressing from sub 30 to over 60 in 5 or 6 reps!

Offline Toby101

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2017, 10:13:33 pm »
hey,
Im trying to stop looking at my strumming hand when doing the changes and am getting the changes a lot quicker.  However they dont sound so great now.  Is this OK do you think or should i go back to slower cleaner chord changes?

Offline sdd56

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2017, 06:18:50 pm »
You need to be sure that you can form the chords properly and consistently, by using the strum/pick/strum, at slow speed if necessary.

Then also use the 1 minute changes as a separate exercise to build up speed. They may not sound great but your fingers should be in the right place and you should be strumming the correct strings.

In time they will sound better even at speed. Don't be tempted to rush ahead and practice mistakes.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 7.
Yamaha F310 Acoustic, Washburn WD7
Yamaha ERG121 Electric.
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline Wolfslair

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #444 on: December 14, 2017, 07:48:35 am »
Can someone please explain chord changes in relation to beats per minute (BPM)?  I finally can change A , D and E chords about 60 times a minute. When I pull up a song in Riffstation or Tabs app, the BPM is always over 120. Does this mean I need to do 120 chord changes a minute to play the song at proper tempo?  When I play songs at my current 60 chord changes a minute, the song sounds horrible. Please excuse my confusion, I have been trying so hard and really want to learn.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #445 on: December 14, 2017, 10:11:10 am »
If a song has 120 BPM as rythm, means that you'll have to strum at that tempo.

Chord changes will have to occur along the beat of the song and your strumming. This sounds harder than it is.

For instance, you have 4 bars of E, followed by A. You strum 4 bars at 120bpm and change to A. Yes, this means that you'll have to change chords within the tempo of 120bpm, but it comes with practice.

The one-minute change exercise is different.
When i get to, let's say, 80 changes per minute, i'm happy. Playing along with a song, is different from the one-minute changes.
Again, it comes with practice. (And having fun ofcourse).

Keep doing the one-minute exercise and air changes. They really do help.

I hope this makes any sense. If not, let me know, ok?
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #446 on: December 14, 2017, 01:08:18 pm »
In addition to what LG said.

At the minute you're doing 60 bpm with (I assume) all downstrums. There's not much that's going to sound great played like that. Don't worry about it. As you progress in the Beginner's Course you'll discover rhythm guitar basics and RUST. See links.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-136-RhythmBasics1.php
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-146-RhythmBasics2.php

But where you are now, just concentrate on getting the changes smooth and sounding good. The BC is totally linear, everything is where it is for a reason, and more advanced stuff is introduced gradually. Be patient, you'll get there.

Justin is probably one of the best online guitar tutors ever, trust him ;)

<edit> it would also help if you read and understood a bit about musical notation and how it relates to TAB so you understand time signatures, tempi, note lengths and strumming patterns. Justin has a book that's very useful https://www.thejustinguitarstore.com/collections/books/products/the-justinguitar-note-reading-for-guitarists-book , but there are sites like this http://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/standard-notation/ where you can pick up the basics. But again, don't worry about that too much.

Good luck, have fun :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App