Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 126408 times)

Offline FatFingers

• Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #420 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:12 pm »
I've been doing the one minute changes (A, D, E) and sometimes surprise myself with how different my results are... however, I start off good then quickly go rubbish. For D I am still putting my three fingers down one at a time. It's a bit frustrating.

If I do the strum-pick which of course is slower, the notes come out clean. But ten seconds in to the OMC, there's a lot of buzz, especially on the high E string for D. Even when playing along to Three Little Birds I start off good then the chords are rubbish and buzz :(

I also find that as I get further in to the OMC I start resting the neck on my fretting hand more. I tense up in my hand too much to try and get it 'right'. I have short fat sausage fingers and even though I am using the tips of my fingers and curling my fingers like Justin says, I am still causing buzz when changing chords. Which then causes frustration and thoughts of "who are you kidding, you're 42 years old, it's not like you're ever going to be in a band, why bother" etc etc!

Onwards and upwards though!

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #421 on: March 22, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »
Don't "fret" about putting one finger down at a time.  In fact, Justin doesn't even expect people to start trying to get the fingers down simultaneously until stage 5.  Moreover, I'm sure everyone starts out good with one minute changes and then around 35 seconds or so, things start to go south.  Even Justin mentions that in one of his videos.  I do it all the time myself.  Keep working at it and you'll get there.
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline GolferBolts

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #422 on: March 22, 2017, 06:46:52 pm »
I'm 5 weeks into my guitar 'journey' and I'm loving it. Still only on stage 2. I did all the 'fat finger' searches, quickly realising it's all down to practice. I am a lot better than i was when i started. I move one finger into place, the others then follow. So I'm getting there. Don't despair. I'm also closer to 50 than 40. Wish I'd have started sooner though.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #423 on: March 22, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »
Golfer

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you're doing ok. And don't worry we all have to start somewhere.  8)
BC Mar 2013 to Jan 2015 IM April 2015 to Mar 2016
Currently consolidating IM then Blues Rhythm & MTMS
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
TOBY JENNER’S CAS DE LA ROUTE / ROADCASE
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg339454

Offline awooly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2017, 04:21:15 am »

FatFingers, this sounds like exactly where I am at also.  I've only been playing for 2 months, still on Stage 1 but considering moving to Stage 2 shortly.  I'm 45 yo and don't have short fat sausage fingers so it happens to all types but I'm loving it and can't wait to practice every night.  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:42:08 am by close2u »

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2017, 11:32:22 am »

42 years old here too. I'm playing since december 2015 somewhere. Some advice, don't tense up. That will only make things worse, as you noted yourself. Causing buzz will happen, it's inevitable. I'm in stage 4 of the beginners course and i'm getting buzz too from time to time. Move on, keep up the practice. It gets better in time. Also, i've noticed that a healthy mental attitude is key to a good practice. If something goes wrong, something's not working right, your hands aren't cooperating, no sweat. It will be better tomorrow.  The big key thing here is: practice and having fun playing.
You ask yourself: why bother? I've told myself upon asking that question: because i love it. And that's all the motivation you'd need imho. Not going to play in a band? Fine. Still, i love what i'm doing. I don't care about much else.
As long as you love playing, the rest will come. Keep at it, keep a healthy mental attitude and don't dwell too long on the mistakes you make. (There will be many more.... XD).

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:42:20 am by close2u »
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Offline GolferBolts

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #426 on: April 18, 2017, 01:13:34 pm »
Hi, it's​ a while since my last post and I've been doing a bit of practice. One thing that is annoying me is that when i change from my D chord to another (doesn't seem to matter which), the B string 'drones' as i lift my finger from it and goes open. When i watch Justin do his D to A and back, all you hear is chord after chord (no drone). Does this make sense? Even more practice needed, i suspect..

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #427 on: April 18, 2017, 01:22:35 pm »
It's possible that you are releasing the pressure on the finger too abruptly, the release should be a reduction in pressure so you almost get a muted string followed by moving the finger, it happens very quickly so it's easy not to spot it. Try it slowly first and then when you get the idea speed it up.
Later on you will need to be able to do this for what is termed 'pull (or flick) offs', these are when you want the lower note to sound without picking it.
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Tenada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline dman2

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2017, 01:14:06 pm »
Sit opposite a mirror to watch your fingers till you get it

Sent from my GT-P5210 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Joe B

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Bicycle Tourist & Cheeseburger Connoisseur
« Reply #429 on: June 15, 2017, 10:23:14 pm »
Made this quickly to let me see visually which changes are lagging behind  and to track my progress. So far so good.

This timer on YouTube is perfect for me on these. It gives a 20 second cool down in between 1 minute intervals. Originally designed for high intensity interval training it is the perfect format for cranking these exercises out. I do 3 sets of 3 chords each time so with this I can do the entire routine in about 12 minutes.

https://youtu.be/En_sDvL-B5U
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:39:09 pm by Joe B »
Look @ your # of posts if > # of days as member, please read more and type less, we will both be smarter for it.

Online MPetten

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #430 on: June 22, 2017, 12:05:07 pm »
I just started on the site about a week ago and I love it. I've tried several times to progress learning guitar but always stall. I'm already seeing progress. The lesson on one minute changes says aim for 40 changes a minute but the practice better section says greater than 25 a minute  with a target of 30. Which is correct? Thanks
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #431 on: June 22, 2017, 01:01:57 pm »
You should really shoot to get them all up above 60 changes/minute.  However, the 40/minute is a gauge that Justin suggests before moving on to the next level.  Don't hyper-focus on little details.  Move on when you are ready to move on.  If you stall and are not making progress, move on.  Practice the things you find hard - not the things you find easy. 
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #432 on: June 22, 2017, 01:49:03 pm »
Practice the things you find hard - not the things you find easy.
Absolutely 100%, give priority over the things you find easy; it's all too easy to fall into that trap!!! The other thing is to slow down until you get that or those particular change(s) right - don't practice doing them rushed and wrong - practicing things wrong is the worst thing you can do!!!
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Tenada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Online MPetten

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #433 on: June 22, 2017, 03:10:36 pm »
Thanks! I'm trying not to get hyper focused but it's hard. I've been at this a week and can nail high 20s to low 30s (counting each change) for changes between AD/AE/DE. I've been doing just chord progressions as practice but I'll start learning a song in the next couple days.
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline Joe B

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
  • Bicycle Tourist & Cheeseburger Connoisseur
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2017, 04:35:47 pm »
Progress can be frustrating at times but even a casual approach will yield results. I've had some real life interference with my practice schedule (family medical) but progress is being made. I am sold on Justin's methodology and believe that I will continue to get better if I just follow the steps and ignore my unrealistic expectations. Keep plugging away at it folks!
Look @ your # of posts if > # of days as member, please read more and type less, we will both be smarter for it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App