Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 186948 times)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
Start now if you like. Just do the simple strumming that Justin shows. The sooner you get started making music, even in simplified forms, the better :)

If you try it and feel it's too much, then come back to it later.

Offline Cal

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
  • West Bromwich • UK
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2013, 09:51:58 pm »
I'm doing around 20 changes per min ATM. Just wonder how many changes I should be on to start attempting the songs? I've been on this section since Thursday.
What bradt said.  And just to reinforce that here's a snippet from Justin's book:

When should I move on to Stage 2?
  • You should have your One-Minute changes down to at least 20 changes in a minute.
  • You should be able to play one or two of the songs from the songbook, even if you have to start and stop a little bit here and there.
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Dana

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:56 am »
ok iam at 60 a min just not every time should i do all three cords next and see how many i can do i have gone over 60 with a few blunders  i also have trouble keeping my fretting hand in an arch my number one finger seem to always touch the high e causing the dreaded  buzz   

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2013, 02:18:42 am »
If your hitting 60 per minute with only a few blunders, then I'd say you're good to go. Maybe practice a few of the songs if you haven't already, but certainly start on the next stage.

Offline 7255carl

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2013, 11:57:52 am »
Hi Dana

i agree with bradt if you are hitting 60 even with a few dodgy changes in there you are probably good to move on, personally i like to hit 60 3 days in a row before i move on but thats probably a bit of over kill, for example below was my number for A-D from way back when:

18, 30, 33, 39, 40, 38, 46, 50, 54, 61, 65, 71, this was practicing the changes every day and counting them every other day, i just checked the date on those changes 03 2010 ;), and i still look back at the beginners course now if i am not happy with something, in a few months time you will not believe how far you have come

all the best

Carl 8)

Offline georgemoe

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2013, 03:39:55 am »
Hi everyone. Newb just checking in.

At age 53, I had a few starts and stops learning and never got very far. Always had issues with speed and smoothness of chord changes.

I discovered Justin's site a few days ago via a reference in the AGF forum. WOW! I can't wait to get a bit further. Justin's suggested A fingering is slowing me down a bit because I was using a 234 fingering so 213 is a huge change. I'm stuggling fitting all three fingers. Need to really force things with high pressure. But I'll work through it.

Really helpful people here so thank you!
- georgemoe
1999 Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce

Offline Craig Howard

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2013, 04:52:39 am »

Hey George

Think outside the box (fret)

Use what ever fingers it takes to make a chord.

I have thick / short fingers so I often use just 2 fingers to cover  2 or 3 notes (strings)  in the same fret.

eg A,E, D

Look at conventional fingering diagrams.. then see what fingers on which strings  are hidden behind other fingers.  I fyou can cover them..go for it.
Fender Stratocaster MIM Burst,  RI Fiesta Red; Fender Mustang II and Champ Amps.
FX Pedals: Boss Blues driver, Boss RC3 Loop Station, EP Booster, Zoom Bass FX. Alessis SR16.  Riffstation.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2013, 04:59:26 am »
It's always a good idea to learn the conventional fingering, given any fingering and chords are difficult at first.

Especially with Justin's approach, chords are taught with anchor fingers to other chords in mind, to make them all easier to get. If you use lots of alternatives to conventional fingering, then you miss out on learning easy changes.

After a while you can adapt - I try and do the two version of A as much as possible, and prefer one version of the G over others.

Offline 7255carl

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:04 am »
Hi Georgemoe

i would suggest staying with it on the A chord for now, but there is a version of the A chord justin calls the A mini-barre, coming up later in the beginners course, if you do have bigger fingers you may find this an easier way, but for now stick to the course, you will get there

Best of luck

Carl 8)

Sundance

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2013, 09:54:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone could give me a few tips regarding A,E,D 1 minute changes.

I have been learning guitar for just over a week and I'm taking my time going through the lessons but I'm not sure I'm doing the 1 minute changes right. I can do about 20 changes so far for each chord but I'm making quite a few mistakes such as touching other strings with my fingers accidentally.

Do i need to slow down until they are perfect?

I'm also having trouble playing the D chord fast, I find it hard to reach the string on the 3rd fret with my finger.

any help would be great

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2013, 10:02:29 pm »
@sundance

From a different thread, but the same answer applies.

If I recall Justin's instructions correctly, it doesn't have to be perfect but it can't be complete rubbish either.  There is a wide span there.

I would say all the fingers in the correct position but a couple unintentionally muted strings would count as acceptable for the quick change exercise.  Working on getting everything perfect should be done separately at a more sedate pace.

My two cents

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2013, 10:23:12 pm »
Yeah, the goal of this is to go as fast as you possibly can. Most strums should sound reasonable, but if you're not making any mistakes at all, then you're not pushing yourself.

The D chord just takes a little time. You'll get there....then you'll get to try the D minor  ;D

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 118
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »
ALWAYS be practicing what you learn in songs.

The intent of this exercise is to get you to the point so you can make the changes in songs.

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

bakajin

« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 04:46:15 pm »
When doing the 1 minute changes,  my left thumb keeps slipping from the 3/4 of the way up the fret board to the point where my palm is almost touching the fretboard.  I am not particularly sure why it's moving. 

Am I squeezing  the fretboard too hard and having a slick thumb it moves? 

How do I stop that while still being confident that I am pressing the strings hard enough for my chord?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:48 pm »
How do I stop that while still being confident that I am pressing the strings hard enough for my chord?

You only need to press hard enough for the notes to play cleanly.
Set your fingers on the fret board like your going to play a chord but with very little pressure.
Strum the chord and slowly increase the pressure until the note ring out cleanly. That's all the pressure
you need. If you have a decent guitar and it is set up properly you won't need a lot of pressure. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App