Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 168447 times)

Dynamite

Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2012, 04:21:37 pm »
you will soon cross 50 if you are not concentrating on ringing... focus on shapes and correctness of playing chords and not the numbers... coz if you are fingering the chord right than you yourself will enjoy the elegance of playing  it.... :D

Thanks. So does the counting become a little secondary when you focus on the shapes even though the goal is to keep getting a higher amount?
Initially shape matters and when you are confident enough  then count matters... ;)

amolpatily2010

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:41 am »
I was able to do all the 3 types of changes in the 50s. So, I moved onto Stage 2. But, I have realised now that in all the changes involving D chord, for eg- in A-D I keep the 3rd finger first and then the 2nd finger. So, isn't that a bad habit? Am I not supposed to keep them both at the same time. What should I do to change the habit? I mean , I am still touching the 50 mark but to make it 60, I guess I need to make them touch the strings at the same time. But, trying to do that makes me feel to start over once again, you know what I mean I have just got used to that way..
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:09:57 pm by amolpatily2010 »

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 55
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2012, 08:58:26 am »
If you mean move, and not keep, then you are seeing where you will go eventually.

At first, most people tend to move one finger at a time. Soon you will get to Air Changes, and you will learn a new and better way. Your figures will drop at first, but then start to rise as you master that method.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline Oddo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »
I have been practising the A,D,E 1 minute changes for 10 days and lately i seem to get stuck at about 17 changes/minute.Is this a normal thing to happen or my expectations for now are too high?

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:02 pm »
I have been practising the A,D,E 1 minute changes for 10 days and lately i seem to get stuck at about 17 changes/minute.Is this a normal thing to happen or my expectations for now are too high?

Being where you are,just weeks ago,I think I can help.I kind of had the same problem,til I slowed it down and spent 2 days really hitting the strum and pick each string exercise.I found,after doing that,that not only had my fingers loosened up some but that I seemed to have "dialed in" the finger placement on those chords.I also kept track,on paper,what I was working on,A-E,A-D,E-D,and could see measureable progress daily.A week later I was getting 60+ BPMs on those changes.

Offline Oddo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:51 pm »
Ok,so maybe i should take my time and start to "learn" my fingers the shortest way from one chord to another in order to improve my speed.How much did it take you to start singing songs?

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2012, 12:07:55 am »
Are you counting A-E-A-E as four changes or two?

If two, then move on to the next stage. You're doing fine.

If you're counting that as four then that is still fine, but a little slow. One thing that helped me was to practice with a metronome. Set your metronome to 40bpm and try to make a change every other beat. That should get you up to 20 relatively quickly since you are so close. Then just speed it up a little bit as you improve.

The early lessons in this course are designed to be moved through relatively quickly. You'll find things in stage 3 and 4 that will make practicing what you learned in stage 1 much easier. If you check the practice schedule on stage 1, you will see at the bottom justin says that you aren't meant to master anything at these stage before advancing. You're just meant to know the material and be able to perform the tasks at a reasonable level.

Offline Diamond Dave

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Virginia, USA
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 01:14:18 am »
Some suggestions that Justin recommends:

-start very slowly--comically slow--and build up speed gradually
-force the changes. Just go to the chord even if you botch it. Get your fingers used to moving quickly.
--air chords. Practice setting your fingers down in the correct positions, all at once. Fix them into place in the air over the fretboard and place them down. Don't strum. Then do the second chord. Then back to the first.
--Try to minimize finger movement and look to see which fingerings the chords have in common. For example, an open C and an open Am chord share the same fingerings for your index and middle finger. The ring finger is the only one that moves; the index and middle should stay planted. Similarly, an open E is just an Am, with everything moved one string over. Easy change.
WARNING: Everything I post may be wrong. :)
Some guitars, a ukulele and an amp.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2012, 03:14:17 am »
how long have you been playing?

If you are counting A to D to E as 1, A D E as 2, A D E as 3 then as a beginner 17 would not be bad. I just tried it and and did 17 like that in about 20sec or 3x your speed which sounds about right for a beginner.

Now if you are counting  A D E as 3, A D E 6, A D E 9 then that needs some work.

That A D E sequence is not the easiest thing. A D A E A D A E is easier. with the difficulty considered your are getting about 1 per second. It would be nice to see that doubled but that's a good start.

Don't keep practicing the same thing. If you reach a plateau go to something else. come back to it about 5 - 10 days later and you will probably  be a -lot- better at it.  In fact if you have over saturated on a chord or two, I would try not to play those specific chords for any reason for at least two days or more.

Gone

Offline Oddo

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2012, 08:54:29 am »
@bradt I count A-E-A-E as two changes.I've already moved on to the next stage but i thought i had a problem with these three chords since i couldn't improve my speed.
@TB-AV I have been playing guitar for about 20 days.

Offline Flashmann

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
  • Knows just enough to be dangerous
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2012, 03:42:19 pm »
Ok,so maybe i should take my time and start to "learn" my fingers the shortest way from one chord to another in order to improve my speed.How much did it take you to start singing songs?

I haven't even tried singing,at least not outside of my own head..Trust me...NO ONE wants to hear that,especially me.LOL...

I'll say this,though,and almost ashamedly:I was stuck where you are,on phase 1 for nearly 2 months.It seemed like I had to put my fret fingers through contortions,to find those first 3 chords...When I first felt I had them down well enough to attempt the minute changes,I measured my BPMs 2 ways...1st,as fast as I could,regardless of how badly it sounded,and boy did it ever sound bad.2nd,as fast as I could while hitting then cleanly..There was a diference of about 15 BPM,until I slowed down and only concentrated on the clean strums.Now I can get 80+ BPM on A-E and A-D..E-D is still in the upper 60s..

When I got all 3 consistantly above 40,(counting A-E as 1)I moved on to phase 2,and was a very happy to see those chords,the minors go MUCH quicker.2 weeks and I was learning the phase 3 C and G,all the while practicing what came before.

Now,probably a month after beginning phase 3,I only am practicing the Phase 1&2 chords while "playing around" after my structured practice time,or with the strumming patterns.I currently devote my minute change practice time to the C,G with each other and the "7" chords from stage 4 and 5...

Sorry for being so long winded,but my point was to show how I was where you are a very short time ago and to stress just KEEP at it....It will come...

Offline vedderfan94

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »
Should I be letting the chord ring out like justin does? I tried that at first but there are annoying sounds in between changing chords because I think it's due to pulling off the second and third fingers. So now I strum each chord but mute the strings quickly with my strumming hand, and then move to the next chord. Is this wrong?

Offline Jimmydreams

• Good Vibes 0
  • Guitar NOOB, James Taylor wannabe! :)
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2013, 12:50:16 am »
I've been playing about 2 weeks. I'm building up the calluses on my fingers and I'm starting to work on not pressing so hard that the strings come out the back of my fingers.  ::)

My question is this: while attempting the 1 minute chord changes, I find that my #2 finger seems to lose most of it's sensitivity and therefore it's hard to know when it's properly seated on the high E string. Is this common and/or will increased calluses only make matters worse? Perhaps it's a symptom of early callus buildup that the sensitivity is masked by the combo of numbness/finger pain that all beginners have.....??? Regardless, it makes getting a clean D chord sometimes a hit or miss proposition!!  :-[

If it's a case of simply muscle memory, I guess I can wait for it to become natural.

Suggestions?
My guitar: Walden G740CE newbielink:http://www.waldenguitars.com/G740CE.html [nonactive]

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 04:36:02 am »
I've been playing about 2 weeks. I'm building up the calluses on my fingers and I'm starting to work on not pressing so hard that the strings come out the back of my fingers.  ::)

My question is this: while attempting the 1 minute chord changes, I find that my #2 finger seems to lose most of it's sensitivity and therefore it's hard to know when it's properly seated on the high E string. Is this common and/or will increased calluses only make matters worse? Perhaps it's a symptom of early callus buildup that the sensitivity is masked by the combo of numbness/finger pain that all beginners have.....??? Regardless, it makes getting a clean D chord sometimes a hit or miss proposition!!  :-[

If it's a case of simply muscle memory, I guess I can wait for it to become natural.

Suggestions?

Pretty much its the calluses.  What will happen as your fingers toughen (and you'll actually go through a few sets of calluses) is that your muscle sensitivity in the rest of your hand will increase. So what you lose in your fingertips you gain in your fingers, if that makes sense.

If it doesn't, don't worry about it and just keep practicing - but be sure to do them slow enough that you make the chords perfectly. If you practice making them wrong, you'll get better at making them wrong.

Practice makes permanent.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
I'm doing around 20 changes per min ATM. Just wonder how many changes I should be on to start attempting the songs? I've been on this section since Thursday.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App