Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 189242 times)

Asa Post and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline KeepingAwake

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2019, 12:32:06 am »
Try this. Set a metronome to 60 bpm and start counting from 1 to 4 on the beat. Now  strum the first chords on the 1 and then change on the next 1. Increase the speed steadily until you're getting up to say 100-120bpm. When you're at 120 bpm dial the metronome down a to 60bpm again and then change chords on the 1 and the 3 again increase the speed until you get to 120 and voila you should be able to do changes at 60bpm.

This takes time so try to do get frustrated. You can do it just be patient. You'll find the counting and use of a metronome helpful. Go as slow as you need to. Regards the quality I'd say they don't all have to be perfect but there is no point practising getting it wrong. If all your changes are sloppy then slow the metronome down again until you're happy that the chords sound ok (most of the time).

Good luck
G

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Perfect timing for me to see this as I just started the 1 minute changes tonight! I was able to do pretty well at 80 bpm and will bump it up some more tomorrow.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:26 am »
Hi nightey
I have found that a combination of practice playing one or more begginer songs, combined with one minute changes helps me  a lot....   

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline sairfingers

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #542 on: March 17, 2019, 09:32:24 am »
I’ve been learning guitar for a year following Justin’s lessons, so clearly I am no expert, but isn’t everyone getting a bit fixated with one minute changes? Reading through all the different topics on the forum, this subject keeps coming up. “40 a minute, 60 a minute etc etc. Dm to D etc etc. Practice makes permanent. Don’t speed up sloppy changes.”
The list is endless. Surely you only need to change chords as fast as a song requires! If a particular song needs a fast change between chord x and chord y then practice that until you have it down.
Justin’s lessons are fantastic and I certainly wouldn’t criticise them, but I can’t help feeling that the one minute changes thing gives the impression that beginners like me should spend our time trying to get 60+ a minute changes for combinations that we haven’t met yet and perhaps never will. Surely we should spend the time on other aspects of the course and learning songs and when we meet a difficult chord combination in a song tackle it then.

Martin D28 Reimagined:Gibson SG Standard:Boss Katana 50:Digitech Trio+.
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. May 2019 consolidating and starting IM.
Played a Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop 1968-72. Then life got in the way. Don’t know where that guitar or the years went!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #543 on: March 17, 2019, 01:20:57 pm »
Absolutely, it doesn't matter how many changes you can make in a minute it matters if you can change at a speed suited to the song you're learning, the motto 'learn songs learn songs.......' is the most single important thing that you should do; I can do 100+ changes through most of the commonly used chords but without learning song it's useless (as I found out many years ago) !!!

Sent from my phone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Peakoverload

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
  • How does Gilmour make it look so effortless!
« Reply #544 on: March 17, 2019, 07:44:00 pm »
Whilst I do agree that speed is less important than accuracy and that you only need to change chords as fast as the song requires, I do think that 1MC's do something else too.

When I first started to learn the guitar many years ago I found changing chords the single hardest thing to do. My hand was welded to the neck and simply would not move off the frets. From what I've read and heard from others, this is not uncommon for beginners. Why?

1. Beginners press too firmly on the strings creating tension in the hand and fingers which is then harder to release.

2. Lack of dexterity due to inexperience.

3. The 'pressure' of trying to change chords in time with the music where the beginner is concentrating on when to change chords and less on how to change chords.

What 1MC does, IMHO, is to prevent all of this. By not having to change in time to music you just concentrate on changing the chord, this in turn increases your dexterity and because you are changing quickly you don't end up pressing too hard on the strings.

Now I say all of this as a total beginner and perhaps I'm not qualified to say this. However I do speak from personal experience. As I say around 20 years ago I was trying to teach myself guitar, couldn't afford lessons (still can't) and nothing would make my fingers change chords. I spent a year going nowhere because of this and gave up. Recently when starting to learn again, I picked up a guitar and tried to change chords, same thing, hand welded to the fretboard. I then found Justin's website, and read about 1MC's and literally within 10 minutes I'd made more progress than I had in an entire year previously.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #545 on: March 17, 2019, 08:45:59 pm »
Whilst I do agree that speed is less important than accuracy and that you only need to change chords as fast as the song requires, I do think that 1MC's do something else too.

When I first started to learn the guitar many years ago I found changing chords the single hardest thing to do. My hand was welded to the neck and simply would not move off the frets. From what I've read and heard from others, this is not uncommon for beginners. Why?

1. Beginners press too firmly on the strings creating tension in the hand and fingers which is then harder to release.

2. Lack of dexterity due to inexperience.

3. The 'pressure' of trying to change chords in time with the music where the beginner is concentrating on when to change chords and less on how to change chords.

What 1MC does, IMHO, is to prevent all of this. By not having to change in time to music you just concentrate on changing the chord, this in turn increases your dexterity and because you are changing quickly you don't end up pressing too hard on the strings.

Now I say all of this as a total beginner and perhaps I'm not qualified to say this. However I do speak from personal experience. As I say around 20 years ago I was trying to teach myself guitar, couldn't afford lessons (still can't) and nothing would make my fingers change chords. I spent a year going nowhere because of this and gave up. Recently when starting to learn again, I picked up a guitar and tried to change chords, same thing, hand welded to the fretboard. I then found Justin's website, and read about 1MC's and literally within 10 minutes I'd made more progress than I had in an entire year previously.

This.

One minute changes are one of the most inspired things about the BC. We're not all nascent guitar gods that can form chord shapes five minutes after picking up a guitar for the first time. I struggled for years trying to 'just play songs'. You can't 'just play songs' if you can't make the chords, that's where most of the 'play in a day' books fall down.

Justin's method is holistic, and the pros and semi-pros here seem to have lost sight of what he's about.

Just another way the forum's changing, and not for the better. Egos are starting to emerge, and that's never a good sign.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Kmcc

• Good Vibes 0
  • Child of the '60s
« Reply #546 on: March 18, 2019, 10:03:22 pm »
Speaking as a Type A personality, I have to really work at resisting the temptation to focus on the speed of the chord change, rather than quality of the chord played. 

I was doing fairly well on 1MCs until I met Dmin.  I've been struggling for a couple of days, particularly with the A to Dmin change.  Today, I realized that I was confusing myself by trying to focus on moving all three fingers as a unit to the proper strings in order to form the next chord.

I understand that eventually this will be the proper way to do chord changes, but right now I need to develop the muscle memory required to do that.  Sometimes I'm thinking where finger 1 needs to go, the next time I’m focused on 2, then on 3.  I’m allowing my underdeveloped muscle memory to become overloaded

I’ve found that chord change practice using one or two fingers to lead the other fingers to the next chord is helping me a great deal. Since I know where all of the fingers need to end up, concentrating on getting the “lead” finger(s) to the right string allows the others to fall into the right place.

I hope this makes sense.  It's a variation on the anchor finger concept.

Offline JerryBels

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #547 on: June 06, 2019, 08:47:08 am »
Hello,

I just started stage 4, and started to ask myself if I'm going too fast. My main concern is about one minute changes.

I got several ones higher than 60, but most of Dm changes are stuck around 45, and a few others as well are stuck around 50. Although I succesfully play along almost any songs in the stage 3 songs list.

Should I take some time and get my OMCs close to 60 at least before going to next stage each time, or is it ok to go ahead anyway? I mean, on the long run, will it benefit me more if I take time to make sure each step is perfect, or keep practicing along the way?

I'm practicing close to an hour a day, 5 or 6 days a week. Started two months ago.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #548 on: June 07, 2019, 11:31:09 am »
Carry on and as long as you keep playing songs your numbers will repeat. Just make sure you're not cheating yourself and that the change are nice and clean with the chords ringing out. Dm is not an easy chord to shift to and from so I wouldn't worry if this is where you are lower.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage - Complete?
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Trio Plus, Zoom MS50G
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline JerryBels

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #549 on: June 10, 2019, 10:04:42 am »
Carry on and as long as you keep playing songs your numbers will repeat. Just make sure you're not cheating yourself and that the change are nice and clean with the chords ringing out. Dm is not an easy chord to shift to and from so I wouldn't worry if this is where you are lower.

Thanks, that helps :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App