Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 193972 times)

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2013, 08:44:33 pm »
I want to ask a question.
For example, when you change between C and Am, you move only your 3rd finger, and I want to know if you keep your 1st and 2nd finger pressed down on the chord or you release the chords when you make the change?

When you're playing you will most likely leave your fingers on the strings and just move the one. Sometimes you may lift slightly to mute the chord, but you'll only really move one finger.

During practice, especially at this stage, I would think it would be more beneficial to go ahead and lift all the fingers so that you are laying them down as a complete chord each time.

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2013, 09:09:11 pm »
During practice, especially at this stage, I would think it would be more beneficial to go ahead and lift all the fingers so that you are laying them down as a complete chord each time.

I disagree: The way you practice will be the way that you play.

You wouldn't lift your fingers making that chord change while playing (not even for a quick 'mute' since you have open strings playing), so don't lift them when practicing the change.

This isn't "practice making a C chord" and "practice making an A minor chord."
It's "Practice changing from a C chord to Am and from Am to C."

There's a big difference between the two. Yes, that means you shouldn't have much difficulty hitting your changes per minute target for this particular chord combination. That's ok, there will be plenty of others that will have you throwing your picks at the wall in frustration - don't artificially turn this into one of them.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2013, 10:00:39 pm »
I want to ask a question.
For example, when you change between C and Am, you move only your 3rd finger, and I want to know if you keep your 1st and 2nd finger pressed down on the chord or you release the chords when you make the change

For the 1 minute changes, keep as many fingers as possible pressed down (the 'anchor finger(s) ).

When you're doing the other part of the exercise (the strum-pick-strum) you take all of your fingers off.

Offline Chsonnu

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2013, 02:22:12 pm »
Hi all, I have to constantly look at my strumming hand or I'll end up strumming the wrong amount of strings.  Is this a bad habit I should try to break early?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2013, 04:46:11 pm »
Hi all, I have to constantly look at my strumming hand or I'll end up strumming the wrong amount of strings.  Is this a bad habit I should try to break early?

The short answer is yes.
To help fix the problem practice plucking the root note first then strum the chord do this a few minutes
every time you practice your chord changes. This will improve the accuracy of your strumming hand and
help you to stop looking.

Offline Newand(hopefully)willing

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2013, 01:44:13 pm »
I've been doing the 1 minute changes for 4 days now, today will be the fifth. It's exciting to watch the improvements - the day before I actually started this exercise I had trouble with anchor finger practice as switching to and from E hurt my 1st finger. it toughened up somewhat in the meantime though. Things got steadily better from there. Yesterday i got the following scores:

D - A: 25
D - E:19
A - E: 21

Yes, i am aware that this isn't a speed contest, hence a question.Sometimes a note won't sound (mostly the 3rd string in E), and for some reason I fail to strum the 5th string in A  once or twice per change. Do you guys think this is acceptable, or should i slow down?

Another thing i find distracting is some kind of tendency to half-strum. What I mean by this is that, probably due to the strum - pick - strum exercises I tend to strum the chords slower than normal in order to detect wrong notes / other mistakes etc. Any advice on combating this?

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2013, 05:27:10 pm »
The one minute change is designed to help you make quick changes between chords. Two or three
mistakes out of 20 isn't all that bad but if your not improving with less mistake then it's time to work
on your accuracy.

Offline Kebas

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a 60 year old beginner, and like to learn playing guitar a little.
But I'm affraid I can't get the chord switches fast enough.
Trying the first lesson for 4 weeks now and I'm stuck with about 25 switches per minute.
Are there other finger exercises to do, to enhance my speed of chord changes?
And are there other people of my age struggling with this?

Kindly regards,
Jacob.
The Netherlands.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2013, 01:23:30 am »
25 complete changes (a-e-a)? If so, you're good for now. 20 of those should be plenty to move on. Look on the last lesson of this section. At the bottom of the page is a section on when to move on.

There are other lessons later on with new ways to practice chords. You'll get to them soon enough. Just don't get hung up on perfection. That could take a lifetime and a day. For now, basic proficiency is fine.

As stitch said, work on some of the songs. Not only are they helpful, but they are a good way to judge where you are. Up until you start getting into strum patterns, if you can play a couple of the songs with all down strums, then you're probably safe to go forward.

You'll get there!

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »
Assuming you can do 50 single changes, or 25 D-E or D-A changes for example, you can certainly move on to stage 2. If anything, getting to know the 3 new chords will actually improve your old ones. That's how it went fo me at least.

Be sure to learn at least 1 song from the 1st stage though, or practice chord progression at a certain beat. If you have a metronome, you can try strumming one chord 4 times at 40bpm and then change to another without stopping, repeating the 4 down strums. Once you are comfortable at that speed you can increase it to 50 or 60 and so on.

Like i said, There's no use dwelling on stage 1 TOO MUCH, since you might very well get bored with your limited options. It gets more fun in stage 2!

Offline AcousticLounge

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2014, 06:32:33 pm »
hey folks,

as others mentioned before, as soon as I do not watch my strumming hand, my speed of changing chords increase dramatically. But on the other hand, instead of strumming 4 strings with D and 5 with A, I do a lot of mistakes (sometimes 5 instead of 4, sometimes just all strings). But some of you said (as Justin did), it is all about speed here. So I hope, my way of practicing won't give me any bad habits in the future.

The comparison shows (1) looking to my strumming hand and (2) only concentrating on my fingers and chords.

1     2
D to A   13   42
D to E   13   29
A to E   12   23
Fender CD-100CE LH
Ortega R121 LH

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2014, 07:20:32 pm »
People have said it a million times on this site, and it didn't do much for me either while i was only reading and not experiencing it myself, but...

You just need to practice.

Once you develop the muscle memory you won't need to look at anything. It will come naturally and you won't even notice it. As for strumming the right amount of strings, the answer is the same. It just... "clicks" after a while. Of course, you need to be mindful of the mistakes you are making while you are doing your changes, but hitting an extra string or one less string a couple of times isn't something you should worry over if you are aware of what you need to be doing.

By the time you get good at stage 2 you will make much less mistakes and wil be able to express yourself more freely.

Offline Nygaard

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:00 pm »
How do you guys change from the minor to the major chords?

From D to D minor I can get a lot more changes moving my 1st finger between the 1st and the 2nd fret on the low E string rather than swapping finger positions and moving finger 1 to the anchor position mentioned in stage 1 - 2nd fret, G string. Same with A to A min.

Is this "cheating"? (Myself anyways)

Kind regards

Christian

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:04 pm »
It's probably best to work on making the changes the way they are bing taught. As time goes on you'll find yourself making chords in loads of different ways, but for now it's more important to get your fingers used to the chord shapes as they are.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2014, 10:45:41 pm »
From D to D minor I can get a lot more changes moving my 1st finger between the 1st and the 2nd fret on the low E string rather than swapping finger positions and moving finger 1 to the anchor position mentioned in stage 1 - 2nd fret, G string. Same with A to A min.

Is this "cheating"? (Myself anyways)

Kind regards

Christian

Justin has suggested the chords to change to and from, for a reason. There will be far more songs that use the suggested chord changes, than simply doing majors and minors together because you find them easier.

You'll see the point of the suggested practice as you progress - it's not just about 'hitting numbers' as quickly as possible.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App