Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 245435 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:08 pm »
It's not a test at all. You are training yourself to play sloppy. Practice makes permanent, not perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Slow down to the point where you can play cleanly and then work your way back up that way.
Insert humorous signature here.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 330
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2014, 09:11:18 pm »
As this is a test of pure fingerspeed and wrist movement,

It's a test of precision and repeatability with the stress of increasing speed applied.
Gone

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2014, 03:27:29 am »
It's not a test at all. You are training yourself to play sloppy. Practice makes permanent, not perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Slow down to the point where you can play cleanly and then work your way back up that way.

Of course it is. In the course of one minute of a thirty minute practice session, you're not going to undo what you've learnt. It is a quantifiable way to gauge progress, and as TB pointed out, is a good way to condition yourself to play under stress. Besides, it's effective.

But yes Jayrod, as others said, don't sweat it too much. As with most things in guitar, time will sort out a lot of that, and you will pick up tricks along the way to sort out the rest. Just focus on getting the chords as clean as you can while playing quickly.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2014, 01:48:28 pm »
I've watched the lesson several times, when I first learned the drill and whenever I was having problems or wanted to review. Nowhere does Justin suggest playing sloppy is ok.

If you make 35 changes, 30 were perfect or very nearly so, 3 were almost there but you missed a string or something, and two you completely flubbed, that's ok.

If you make 35 changes, five were perfect, 25 were ehhh almost there, and five you flubbed, that's not. Slow down. If you've got a looper pedal this is a perfect time to use it. Do your changes and then go back and listen to yourself: do your chord changes still sound as clean as you thought they were?

We tend to give ourselves a pass on things, especially something where it's hard to both DO and JUDGE at the same time. Your ears can't critically listen because your mind is too focused on making the changes properly. Playback can be a real eye opener.

See the practice schedule for this stage:

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php

About half way down the page under "Things To Remember":

"One Minute Changes

The object of this exercise is to get your fingers moving quickly. Although you should be trying to get the fingers in the perfect positions that you have been working on in your chord practice, if they are a little sloppy it is OK, we are working up the speed here!"

He also mentions in the lesson at about 3:00:

"Have the mindset that you're going really, really as quick as possible.
Now, you can't make the chords kinda rubbish, right?
If the fingers are on the wrong strings, you know, then it's kinda not right - or the wrong frets - but if the chord's not perfect, that's OK 'cause this exercise is about trying to get your fingers to move quickly. That's the point of it."

And in his introduction to the BC-115 lesson:

"The concept is simple: time yourself for one minute and see how many changes between two chords you can do in that time. This works better than any other method I have ever heard of. It's really quite astounding how well this trick works. I started teaching it as a game for kids, but have since applied it to anyone learning guitar and is one of the key lessons in the whole beginner's course..."

His method works on speed and accuracy separately. I'm sure other teachers have different approaches which also work, but IMHO your advice cuts across one of the key principles of *Justin's* method.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:15:15 pm by misterg »

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 240
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2014, 04:54:00 pm »
The key words here are

if they are a little sloppy it is OK, we are working up the speed here!
From what I've read on this forum most beginners miss the word Little and read the word Sloppy
If you practice Sloppy you will be Sloppy. I think this is why so many beginners can't do the chord
changes when they try and play songs.
They can change a Sloppy 120 changes per minute but can't do One clean change every 4 beats.
They get obsessed with the numbers and forget about why they're learning fast changes in the first
place.

Now, you can't make the chords kinda rubbish
Seen Can't is another word they miss when reading.

Offline vedderfan94

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2014, 06:50:21 pm »
I'm now up to 78 changes for D-A, 61 for D-E and 79 for A-E. However, I struggle even with the simplest Stage 1 songs, like Hound Dog. For some reason changing from E to D is the change I find hardest (much better at D to E) and so even slowing down Hound Dog I can't change fast enough after the single bar of E chords. Any tips? Other changes feel much smoother because I can move the second and third fingers onto the required frets pretty much at the same time but for E to D it's still the motion of second finger THEN middle finger and when I try to play at a faster rate my third finger will land on the wrong fret sometimes or the chord just sounds horrible :/

Not sure if I should move onto stage 2 yet because of this

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 240
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2014, 07:00:03 pm »
Start slow and change from E to D pause then E to D pause. You've trained your fingers to change from
D to E  so you need to get it changing in reverse. Start off slowly and speed up as you improve.
It's kind of like the one minute change but your putting your focus on E to D

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2014, 11:58:25 am »
Hello everybody, brand new visitor to the forum.
I bought my first accoustic guitar about one week ago, and stumbled on to a video of justin showing how to play a G chord without breaking your fingers. I was so impressed with the way Justin addresses the viewer and the way he explains his stuff.
So I head over to the website and started the beginners course, one week later my fingertips are hurting but I am able to play the A E D and Am Dm and Em chords.
The one minute changes are a whole different ballgame though; the moment I try to follow a metronome my fingering is all over the place, I have forgotten the chordshapes and strum all the wrong chords.

My biggest question for the moment is must I really be able to do 60 D-A D-E and E-A changes in a minute before I can even consider to have a go at the 3 little birds song or is it ok to use the song as another way to get my chord changes practiced in a less overpowering way?
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2014, 12:06:26 pm »
Slow down. It's been a week. You're not going to get to 60 by next week. Get the chords first, then do the 1 minute exercise and build up through practice. I'd forget the metronome for now, you're going to chase it and fail. It's there for helping with timing, not hitting numbers.

You can certainly try 3LB slowly. It's never to early to try simple songs.

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
No, don't wait; go ahead and give the song a try.  For one minute changes lose the metronome, not the point at all.  For the song get familiar with it, then start using the metronome but set it slow enough to get the changes and gradually bring up the speed.

One minute changes aren't there as a "stop and master before proceeding" exercise.  They are a focused exercise there to help you get your changes faster to support making said chord changes in a song.  It is an addition to your routine to help you learn to make changes in songs, not a replacement for learning songs

Go a head and work on the song as part of your practice routine along with one minute changes.  Both learning songs and one minute changes help you learn to make changes.  One is specific one is generic.

Shadow

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline pt3r

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »
Is there a link to these recommendations? I have been quite overwhelmed by the amount of extremely useful information so far, i feel a bit like a kid let loose in a toy store; some much stuff to look at so many things to try   ;D
You gotta put a lot o' time in that thing. (Buddy Guy)

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »
This is the last lesson in stage 1.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see Justin's recommendations and suggestions for this stage.

•   You should know all the chords from this stage—D, A and E—from memory.
•   You should have them sounding good (if not perfect), with most of the notes sounding out most of the time.
• You should have your One-Minute changes down to at least 20 changes in a minute.
• You should be able to play one or two of the songs from the songbook, even if you have to start and stop a little bit here and there.

HTH
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:39 am »
Lol Justin cautions us against waiting for perfection before moving on to the next stage (as well as against moving on while our playing is still a basic mess in the stage)
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline shadowscott007

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 119
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2014, 01:16:15 am »
Exercises are just that exercises that intensly focus on particular techniques.  Playing means playing songs.  Exercises help you improve playing songs faster.  The point is the music, not the exercises.

Just like sports.  You run, you lift weights.  But you still play the game, you don't say I have to wait until I can bench press 300 pounds or make a 6 minute mile before you start playing football soccer baseball rugby whatever.

Guitar is the same, you don't wait until you can get 60 changes per minute or do 16th notes at 120bpm before you start playing songs. 

Shadow
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline vedderfan94

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2014, 11:18:02 pm »
I've almost completed Stage 2 now. For my 1 minute changes I've been doing the 4 new changes as well as continuing practicing the 3 changes (D-A, D-E, A-E) from Stage 1 and I'm up to almost 100 changes/min on the latter 3. Should I stop doing these now? Obviously once I get to Stage 3 chord changes it'll become a bit much to do all the different one minute changes but I was a bit worried about my ability at switching between the first 3 chords decreasing. Will I be ok practicing these just using stage 1 songs? Thanks for any advice :)

Offline fabi

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »
Vedderfan, I have my chords up to stage 4 but my songs on stage 2.  I'm not going any further 'till my songs catch up.  When my changes got over 60 bpm I relegated practice on them to once a week or so while I added new chords.  Just be careful of getting into the same mess I'm in.  Those 1-minute changes are a means to play music.  In and of themselves they don't amount to "playing".  So make sure you apply your newly fast changes to songs at the correct tempo.  <--- just friendly advise ;-)
Started BC June 6, 2014

Offline tatjoker

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:28 am »
Hello! Absolute beginner here, learned my first chord on Christmas. I've been practicing every day since, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, with the exception of one day I took off because my wrist was sore (due to sitting cross legged on the couch instead of upright in a chair... I think... I'm working on better posture!). My one minute changes (counting each time I play a chord as a change) as of tonight are A-E 39, D-E 38, and A-D 45. I was having a lot of trouble with both transitions to/from D, or just a hard time with D in general, a few days ago, then took a day off and the next day suddenly I jumped past 40 for A-D and could do it without looking at my fretting hand! I don't know what happened, but it was super encouraging.

My first question is how many one minute changes should I be doing each time I practice? After I first started this lesson my practice consisted of strum/pick/strum each chord a few times to make sure they sound good, then 15-20 minutes of one minute changes (5-6 individual one minute changes per chord pair) and then some more strum/pick/strum. Is that overkill? I jumped ahead to peek at what Justin's suggested practice schedule is and he only has one one minute change per chord pair per practice session.

My second question is... and maybe this isn't the right thread... but, my fingers are past the point of pain, definitely building up callouses, but I have consistently numb fingertips. At first this was great because my fingers no longer hurt when I practiced! But recently it seems to be tripping me up, as sometimes, especially when playing D chord, I can't feel my middle and ring fingers pressing down on the strings. More and more with each change I naturally don't look at my fretting hand as much, but it gets frustrating when I'm not looking, but can't feel the string with my finger, and I get flustered because I don't want to strum if I don't have my fingering right, and so I mess up either the strumming or I lose concentration and mess up my fretting fingers too. So I guess, does the numbness go away eventually? Or am I doomed to always have numb fingertips in addition to callouses?

Hope my questions make sense, sorry if they are kind of long winded. Thanks! :)

Offline Buckeye1971

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »
Hello tatjoker and welcome to the forum,
I suppose you can do as many one minute changes as you like. Just don't do them to the point of boredom or frustration. practice some songs from Justin's beginner songbook to switch it up.
As far as your fingers go, as long as you are not in pain go ahead and keep playing. Sore is ok, painful you should stop. As far as not looking goes, don't worry about it. If you need to look it's ok. Even the greatest guitarists in the world occasionally have to look. :)

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 240
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2015, 05:00:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum tatjoker
Justin has a practice schedule for each stage to help you get a routine going. It's the last lesson of every
stage.
http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-119-PRACTICEstage1.php

He also as a couple of pages you can print out to help you keep track of your progress.
The practice ones are the last two. The one hour one is for when you can handle practicing for an
hour or more. The other print outs come in handy for other lessons in the Course.

http://justinguitar.com/en/PA-000-BlankPaper.php

Offline SiegeFrog

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2015, 07:13:14 am »
I seem to remember experiencing numbness when I first started. It did eventually go away. In my case, I think it was from overdoing it. Both pressing too hard on the strings and practicing too long. There is a point of diminishing returns with doing 1 minute changes forever. At some point, you got to switch to trying to do the Stage 1 songs. That will be easier on your fingers than 1 minute changes again.

Also, I think of each stage as a unit. So I watch all the videos for each stage (especially the last one where Justin details the practice schedule for that stage), then I start the practice routine for that stage. Some stages may take a couple of weeks. Others a couple of months. As a stage 1 player, make sure you watch all the stage 1 videos, so you know what to practice and how long.

I believe that somewhere Justin recommends that if you want to practice more than you should start the practice routine all over again from the beginning instead of getting stuck on one phase for a half an hour.
Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster
Fender Mustang 1
Seagull Maritime SWS CW SG QI

Started BC January, 2014, Completed May, 2015

Offline Zenxy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2015, 02:56:36 am »
Hey absolute beginner here. Started the course about a week ago and started doing one minute changes for about 3 days. I find it extremely difficult. At the moment I'm around DA:22 DE:15 AE: 10 ish. However I just can't seem to find a way to get past these numbers. Should I count chords when I have all my fingers on the right fret but didn't press hard enough and when strummed it doesn't produce a sound? Any general advice regarding one minute changes will be greatly appreciated. Also, at what number should I start the next lesson ?

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2015, 04:59:48 pm »
Any general advice regarding one minute changes will be greatly appreciated. Also, at what number should I start the next lesson ?

Hi and welcome! :)

General advice: Just keep going!

Those numbers look pretty good for 3 days, but don't cheat yourself.

If you've got the time and enthusiasm for the next lesson, then get stuck in now but also keep doing your current practice routine until you've met all the goals.

Offline muskan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2015, 11:38:26 am »
I am on the first change D-A and trying to get speed but the problem is when I pull my fingers from the strings they give a little buzz in between and if I slow down they sounds right. Is it okay (that I really doubt )or what is problem I have no idea how to work on that buzz to remove it and then speed up.

Offline planetoi

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:37 am »
I hope this hasn't already been answered, but I don't really feel like scrolling through 20 pages so hopefully I'm okay.

Anyway, I can do chord changes decently fast, but my chords are sooo sloppy when I do it, it sounds absolutely terrible. I can play the chords well enough, but when I'm trying to do it quickly it's just awful.

What should I do? Should I press on and go as fast as I can and hope my fingers get a little more nimble as I progress, or should I slow it down a bit so the chords sound good?

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 240
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:56 pm »
Sloppy chord changes don't count you only count clean changes.
If you practice sloppy changes you are learning sloppy changes
Practice make permanent not perfect so slow down and do them
correctly you'll improve faster.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App