Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 185537 times)

Offline Gandalf

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Suffolk/Cambridgeshire Border, UK
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 05:38:01 pm »
Keep following the course, Justin comes to showing you how to do "Air Changes" in Stage 5 and "Forcing the Changes" in Stage 4.

I would recommend that you keep to the course structure and practice schedules and try not to jump to the next level too soon.

You will get there ;)

George
Yamaha FG730S

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 04:57:27 am »
I am not jumping ahead. I am in stage 2 after completing stage 1 to a reasonable level of comfort. I am able to get about 30-40 changes a min for all stage 1 chord changes and play 3 little birds with pauses. My question is

Does it matter that I place my fingers one at a time on the stings? Will that hold me back from improving my chord change speed? Should I consciously try to place all fingers together?

Thanks
Perfopt

Offline Gandalf

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 7
  • Suffolk/Cambridgeshire Border, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 09:03:00 am »
Is this a bad practice?

Sorry, didn't address that question in my answer. No, it is not considered bad practice.

As your muscle memory grows, by doing things repetitively, you will find that the changes will become easier. Like most things in life, when you first start to do them, you have to think about it and then all of a sudden, it becomes automatic.

That is why Justin only addresses starting to use air changes later in the course.

Hope this helps.
George
Yamaha FG730S

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:23:53 am »
Keep at it, you will get to higher speeds soon. I noticed that the improvements seem to come in jumps. You may be at 15-20 changes for 2 weeks and suddenly get to 40s in a day. The key for me is to be really focused while practicing and practice regularly (30-40 mins a day).

Best of luck
Perfopt

paranoidandroid15

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 04:49:34 am »
I'm having trouble with changing chords.when i go to a chord fromthe D chord the D chord makes a really annoying sound when i lift off my fingers to change to the nxt chord.why is that?

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »
PA15 there are a couple of possible reasons....

1) you are not lifting your fingers straight off, but dragging them sideways and you are doing an inadvertent pull-off (a technique where you deliberately make the string sound with the fretting hand)

2) you have not yet formed hard skin on your finger tips and the strings are kind of sticking to your squishy flesh and that is having the same kind of impact as in number 1 above.

In both cases, this will diminish over time.

Stick with it - you will get there.
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

meh

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:30:23 am »
I'm finding as I'm trying to get faster all I'm doing is making a mess of the chords.  I go from very slow and the chords sounding OK, to speeding up and making a whole heap of buzzing and mute sounds.  Cause I'm trying to go faster I'm not positioning my fingers correctly to get a clean chord and my fingers are touching other strings or I'm not pushing down hard enough.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:52:41 am by meh »

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:19 pm »
Keep trying changes at a pace where the fingers at least land correctly even if the strumming sounds off - that is what I think Justin says in the video.

Keep at it - sometimes you will feel like you are stuck and a couple of days later your speed will suddenly go up.

Best of luck

StreetDeacon

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:39 am »
I think I wanna kill the person that invented Dm chord.

So I was on stage 2 and I got to the point to where I was doing good on all the changes cept the ones with Dm.  So I decided to go ahead with stage 3 and add the Dm changes from stage 2.  Well now I'm doing well with all the changes from stage 3, but I'm still weak when it comes to Dm-Am and Dm-A from stage 2.  Seems many people complain about G or C, but I can do those OK. 

I've read all the posts in this thread and it seems I'm not alone.

Oh well.  I guess I'll just keep working at it.

Aky93

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »
Ok, guys first what i want to say is thanks to Justin, i started learning all im newbie, I have few questions, I'm at lesson 1 minute changes, i had these results: A-E: 11 D-E: 11, D-A: 12 for first time. Now what i wanted to ask, when i change cords i hmm i dont know how to explain, my tone doesnt sound clear, like when i prepair for example D chord, when im trying to do it fast i dont do it good, Justin said in BC-115 that that is normal and this is for finger speed, but from mine point of view that should be important too?

Regards Aleksandar

Aky93

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:27 pm »
And should I stay on this lession utill i have 1 chord change per seccond, or should i practise other lessions? ty
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:51:47 pm by close2u »

Offline perfopt

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 10:01:59 am »
@Aky93 change to the next lesson once you are comfortable with the chords. The rule of thumb I use

-  dont need to look at notes to remember what the chord looks like

- can do about 45-55 changes per minute

Getting to 60 chords per min is a little difficult when you begin. Practicing "Air chords" will help. But even after that it takes a few months of practice. I am in stage 6. I can now do 90% of my chord changes at > 50. But only about 4 chords at 60.

Bccairns

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 12:14:37 pm »
Hi guys with the one minute change should I be muting strings from the previous chord...  For example moving from A to D are you muting the 5th string on the change to D?

thanks in advance.

:-*

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »
Hello & welcome.....

I would say don't worry too much about this to start with - just get the changes fast with the chords sounding reasonable.

Andy
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:20:39 am by close2u »

alan4573

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:50 pm »
Hi Everyone

I picked up a guitar for the first time one week ago today and started the beginners course a couple of days later. I'm in my mid forties so I appreciate the learning curve will be steeper (and probably harder) for me than a youngster :-)

Having worked up to chord changes on chords A, D and E (practising about 1/2 hour per day), I tried my first 1 minute changes tonight and achieved 37, 36 and 37. This surprised me as I didnt expect to get anywhere near that so I am really pleased with my progress so far  ;D  ;D

Now my question - Is it better to keep on with these 3 chords until I can consistently achieve 60 before I move onto adding the next chords (Amin, Dmin and Emin) or should I go for it and keep going back to the 1 minute changes to increase the number.

I am in no particular rush to get through the course, just want to make sure everything I'm learning sticks and becomes second nature.

Thanks

Alan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App