Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 191097 times)

Online Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2013, 08:13:26 am »
You need to find a relaxed moveable position. The thumb should point upwards, not along the neck.

Offline misterg

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 125
  • Wales, UK
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2013, 11:08:57 am »
Should you ideally be playing till your fingers hurt?

I want to keep playing till this happens but I always come short because of my wrist getting uncomfortable. I can only play a couple minutes before it gets uncomfortable.

It's not unusual for your finger tips to hurt as a beginner, BUT your wrist shouldn't. It sounds like you need to review your posture, etc. to get your wrist into a position where it's comfortable. You may develop serious problems if you don't.

Common beginner issues that seem to come up regularly here are:

1) Tilting the guitar towards you to see the fingerboard which puts pressure on your wrist as it has to bend through the extra angle;

2) Playing on a sofa or a low chair, or an office chair with arms etc. that means you can't adopt a correct seated position;

3) Having the neck of the guitar too low - go as far as having your fretting hand level with your ear!

If you're doing any of these things, try and correct it and get your wrist into a more natural position where it doesn't get uncomfortable.

Once you've developed a bit of technique you can probably compromise on any / all of these things because you will have learnt what doing it right feels like, and can make your own judgement.

I'm not sure what you hope to gain by the twisting exercise - it would concern me that it will do more harm than good.

Seriously - resolve the wrist issue. If you want to post a picture of you in playing position, we may be able to give you some pointers.

Andy

Offline Djordje

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »
I have a question about progression towards new steps.

Justin stated to stick with a routine until you can do at least 30 chord changes? Is that 30 full changes or per change. Like Dm-Em = 2 changes.

Just wondering.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2013, 07:33:49 pm »
I have a question about progression towards new steps.

Justin stated to stick with a routine until you can do at least 30 chord changes? Is that 30 full changes or per change. Like Dm-Em = 2 changes.

Just wondering.

There's been a lot of discussion on this. I think the 30 full changes or 60 individual is a good mark. I moved on at about 20 something, and just kept working on them if one or two of the changes was giving me trouble. If you feel comfortable enough with the chord changes to play along to one of the songs in the lesson using all down strums, I would say you are fine to move on at this early stage.

Some of the stages coming up have techniques that will help a lot with practicing chord changes. As long as you don't jump too far ahead you should be fine.

Offline Dinos_1998

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »
Ok first I started playing guitar a week ago....
My first results is
D-A = 20
D-E=26
A-E=26

Is that good??? :) :) :-\
"If it sound good , it is good...."

Offline Cal

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
  • West Bromwich • UK
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2013, 05:16:15 pm »
Is that good??? :) :) :-\
After just one week?  BRILLIANT!

Keep up the good work (I really mean keep up the good play).  :)
Washburn D13S
Washburn R308S

Offline Dmon1Unlimited

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »
Move on. Keep practising the D as slow as you need to, to get it right. Then speed it up.

Should you be palm muting the sound after playing each chord?

I get a buzzing sound at the end of my chords, which I suppose is expected because I am releasing my fret hand to play the next chord while the strings are still vibrating. But because I have to change chord as quickly as possible, I can't tell whether the buzzing is because I am genuinely not pressing hard enough or because I'm just switching between chords while the string is still vibrating

Palm muting resolves the issue but also ruins my capability of getting 60 chord changes a minutes

Current progress:
D-A ~60
A-E ~60
E-D ~20

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2013, 02:54:52 pm »
I have been stuck on this for weeks now and it is really discouraging :( Someone suggested for me to move onto the next stage and simply keep practising the D changes along with the new chords, but I feel like I would simply leave it behind and never improve on it if I did that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Like drubbing said, move on. You're going to be using the D chord A LOT no matter what you do, so you'll get plenty of practice with it. Strangely enough, as you learn new chords your changes on old ones gets better too. Spending weeks on one stage will just burn you out. You'll get it eventually.

Should you be palm muting the sound after playing each chord?

I get a buzzing sound at the end of my chords, which I suppose is expected because I am releasing my fret hand to play the next chord while the strings are still vibrating. But because I have to change chord as quickly as possible, I can't tell whether the buzzing is because I am genuinely not pressing hard enough or because I'm just switching between chords while the string is still vibrating

Nope. If you are having an issue with buzzing it is either your technique or the guitar.

Are you still doing the strum, pick, strum exercise? You should be doing that along with the 1 minute changes so you can suss out where you need work. Just play the chord real slowly and get it sounding good. Once you have that, start doing changes very slowly. See if you can figure out what is causing the buzz.

It's a lot easier to get faster by starting slow and cleanly than it is to get your chords clean by going fast and sloppy. Slow down and really check it out. You'll have it sounding proper in no time.

Offline Northwest29

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2013, 03:18:59 am »
Greetings all,

At this point in my guitar journey how concerned should I be about changing cords without looking? Is this something that will just happen after a great deal of practice, or is there a future lesson that helps teach a method? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts -

Ron

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2013, 03:25:11 am »
At the beginning you'll have to look because you don't know the chords. Once you know the chords and
can do the changes the sooner you can do them with out looking the better. At this level it's not the most
important thing but it never to early to start. If you can't do it that OK it will come.

Offline Dinos_1998

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:59 pm »
Firstly I bought the deluxe edition of begginers book ITS AMAZING !!!!!
I have seen already some difference. I can easily play all the song from songbook.
Also my changes  are :
D to A =50(No buzz)
D to E = 42(-3 buzzes)
A to E = 60(-2 buzzes)

I'm so glad !!!!  ;D  :D :D :D   ::)
"If it sound good , it is good...."

Offline d.friend

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
I came up with a practice technique that helped me a lot with chord changes. I thought to share it here and maybe others will find it useful. I was stuck in the high-teens to (on a good day) maybe the low 30s changes per minute. When I started using this technique the change rate went up very quickly and it took only a few days to achieve and consistently make 60 per minute. I stumbled on this while trying to use a metronome to play some of the beginner songs. So this technique has not only helped my chord change speed but also my ability to keep the beat.

Here's what to do.

Use a metronome to keep the beat and strum chords to the beat. Use 4/4 time - four strums (beats) per bar.
Start with a very slow tempo. The metronome on Justin's site wasn't slow enough for me. It seems not to go any slower than 60 beats per minute. But a web search quickly found numerous on line metronomes that do go slower.

Pick any two chords and start by playing one bar of each chord. Playing the chord four times gives me time to think ahead to where the fingers go for the next chord. It also allows time to see if the correct strings are being struck and to make minor finger adjustments to clean up the chord for the next strum. Keep this pattern going until it is working well. Then, without stopping, increase the difficulty by strumming each chord twice per bar. For example strum A twice and then D twice. Keep this pattern going until it is comfortable. Then make the final step and change the pattern to alternate the chord with each strum. Again, don't stop playing, just change the pattern. Try to keep that going for a minute.

If you get all fumble-fingered keep going but change back to the previous, simpler pattern. For example, if alternating on each chord starts going bad switch back to the two and two pattern. If things are really whacked then start over with a full bar of each chord and work your way up to alternating on each strum.

When you can alternate chords with ease increase the tempo on the metronome and start again with 4 strums of each chord per bar.

I was amazed and delighted by how quickly I progressed and hope other beginners find this helpful.

Dave

Offline Clambone56

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2013, 05:41:37 am »
d.Friend   

Funnily enough I hit on the same system and swear by it...had been meaning to post something then saw yours. It is a great way of doing it and I find just as you do that when you are changing between 2 chords it is a bit easier to play them twice then change so if you can't keep up with the metronome at say 50/min then you just slow it down to 40/min or whatever (40/min is the slowest mine goes...)  then build up adding 2 beats a minute. It is amazing how the brain soon figures out the changes and you suddenly find you can do that particular change at that speed changing every beat and gradually move up to 60/min. I found that filling in the One Minute changes chart on P. 98 of the beginners book was a great incentive to keep at it as you gradually increase all the changes to 60 (took me a year). The main thing is that every day you see some progress even if it is only a measly 2 beats per minute better, at least it is progress! Feather by feather the goose is plucked....
Started guitar October 2012
Plays: a Breedlove Solo Concert
and a Yamaha Pacifica 112 with a Yamaha practice amp

Offline Murgul

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:27 pm »
I want to ask a question.
For example, when you change between C and Am, you move only your 3rd finger, and I want to know if you keep your 1st and 2nd finger pressed down on the chord or you release the chords when you make the change?

Edit: I don't know why it post here, I was in  Topic: BC-134 • 1 Minute Changes
Can a mod please move it?

[mod edit - done]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:50:40 pm by close2u »

Offline mouser9169

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 32
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2013, 05:40:20 pm »
40 bpm is the slowest some metronomes go because it is _extremely_ difficult for humans to keep time any slower without a lot of practice (which generally involves counting quick divisions - like 16th notes - steadily in your head). So if you need/want to play at 30 bpm, set your metronome to 60, and play on every other click (ie: the metronome is now counting eighth notes instead of quarter notes.
Mouser's Rules of Music:

1) Always Trust your Muse.
2) See Rule 1)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App