Author Topic: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes  (Read 186822 times)

bakajin

Re: BC-115 • 1 Minute Changes
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2013, 12:07:03 am »
I've always been a full throttle, or not at all sort of person,  Is there any technique I can use to practice not using as much pressure?  I'm not sure I know how to do "just hard enough" when I try slowly increasing the pressure, it feels awkward and when I try the one minute changes, I think excitement has me grip harder. 

Should I practice the 1 minute changes while leaving my thumb suspended in the middle of the air? 
that would prevent gripping the fretboard, but might lead to bad habits.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2013, 12:21:07 am »
Just slow down and concentrate on doing it right. Practicing bad habit only make them harder to break.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:30 am »
Going full throttle with guitar, you'll simply choke yourself. It's about being smooth and relaxed and that's something that generally comes over time, as you get comfortable with the shapes and changing them. But you'll make that process harder if you try and wring the guitar neck.

You need the thumb to provide a stable backstop, The guitar resting against you and your strumming arm does provide some neck stability, but you will need the thumb to mute top strings later, so it's a good idea to get used to it being on the back

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2013, 04:40:06 am »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about two weeks. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you are still working on that 6 months from now.

There comes a point though, that you will find that you are just not fast enough. That is where you will see the need for a light touch more than anything.

For now, Grab it like you mean it. Once you get it down, you'll start developing a feel for the touch. You'll naturally start to lighten the touch as you try to increase speed. As you start learning songs it will develop even more.

ejohnson1226

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
I'm on my 2nd week of the beginners' course, and I just watched/learned this lesson last night. (I work a full time job and have 3 young kids at home, so finding time to play is not that easy =]) Anyhow, I'm finally comfortable in my knowledge of the first 3 chords we've learned, so I decided it was time to move on. Counting each individual chord change as "1," I got 8, 12, and 10 chord changes for D -> A, D -> E, and A -> E, respectively. Is this average? Or should I be doing better?

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2013, 02:05:47 pm »
You're 2 weeks in, it is what it is. Keep going til you can hit 60 changes per minute.

Carlo Von Sexron

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »
Hello All,

Not been here for quite some time. Years ago there was a simple website that someone created that helped with one minute changes. Basically you selected which chords you wanted to practice and a couple of other parameters and the chords would randomly appear on screen for a set time/amount. You then play the chord on screen and then change to the next one when it pops up.

Is anything like that still around? I've tried searching but the search function isn't that helpful and there doesn't seem to be posts pre-2011.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Metallica_1981

« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:35 am »
Hey guys,
I started playing the guitar like 5 days ago.. and today I started with my 1 minute changes.
D to A I hit like  46 times (23). They are not all perfect, but not bad too. I wanted to ask you is that normal?

Offline TheCasual

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2013, 10:55:59 am »
Hey guys,
I started playing the guitar like 5 days ago.. and today I started with my 1 minute changes.
D to A I hit like  46 times (23). They are not all perfect, but not bad too. I wanted to ask you is that normal?

Sounds about right that. Just keep doing the changes until you reach about 60 ish. Make sure you're practicing chords on there own. Strum, pick, strum though.
Fender Modern Player Jaguar,
Fender Squier AffinityHSS Stratocaster
Vintage V100, Epiphone Dove Pro
Fender Mustang 1, Peavey Vypyr 30
Started the guitar journey 10th Janaury 2013.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »
Hey guys,

Don't get fixated on how many chord changes a minute you can do. 10 perfect changes a minute is far
better than 46 sloppy changes.
They are not all perfect, but not bad too.
Don't practice mistakes, that is a waste of time.
The biggest mistake beginners make is they thinking that more is better so they practice sloppy changes
so they can hit 60 changes a minute. Practice perfect changes then try it again and if you only hit 20
perfect changes your doing better that 46 not perfect changes.

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2013, 09:30:42 pm »
Practice perfect changes then try it again and if you only hit 20
perfect changes your doing better that 46 not perfect changes.

Yes! Also, practice smooth, even changes. I started out racing to get the numbers high, and neglected that aspect of it, and boy did I regret it. Turns out that what your fingers do while they are in the air is just as important as what they do on the strings.

Offline farmgirl

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »
Ok I have been playing for around a month or so, I have 3 kids 6,4, and 6 months so my practice time is kinda broken up through out the day. What I work on in the time I get is, (keep in mind that some times I get only 5 to 10 mins at a time)

Doing all chords I know, as in finger placement and strumming the right strings only, C,D,E,Am,Dm,Em,G, and C.
When doing that I make sure they all ring out right.
Then I do chord changes for a bit, no timing it though I only check that 1x a week. I concentrate on making sure they ring out right or I don't count the change.
Then I until today I only did chord change exercises for A,D,E.
I think I am doing pretty good here are todays numbers,
D to E-30
A to A-34
D to A-30, (getting better with this one, this one has been a real thorn in my side)
Now for the 1st time I did these
Am to E-23
Am to DM-14
E to D-28
Em to D-24
Now is there a trick I am missing in the switch between Am to Dm, or is it going to be like with the D to A, and just going to have to plow through it?

Thanks,
 Brandi

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2013, 07:05:07 pm »
Now is there a trick I am missing in the switch between Am to Dm, or is it going to be like with the D to A, and just going to have to plow through it?

A lot of people have trouble with the Dm it's a weird chord compared to the other chords you know.
Just practice slow and really concentrate on doing them correctly and out of the blue you'll be nailing it
every time with out even trying.
The numbers you posted for one minute changes are really good, even better if every chord is ringing out
like it should.

As for your practice time being broken up 5 minutes of good concentrated practice time is better than an
hour of just fooling around so keep putting in those 5 and 10 minute sessions they add up to hours in no
time. 

Offline bradt

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2013, 12:47:43 am »

Thanks,
 Brandi

Something that helped me in this change was to do it really slowly. Just put your fingers down on Am then lift them straight up and move them all very slowly and simultaneously to their position on Dm. Really pay attention to what you are doing when you do it. There is a sort of pattern there to it, and once you get that, it becomes a very easy change to make.

Give it a go. I'm sure you'll see it. It took me a while to notice it.

Hint: it's almost as easy as E to Am.

Offline KSanders

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2013, 11:54:35 am »
So I'm really just a beginner, doing my fourth round of chord changes between ADE now, second day of this exercise for me.

I did find out that one thing that's holding back a lot of the speed is that after strumming the chord I tend to wait a little bit for the chord to "sing" for a moment. When I tried to focus on not doing that but just going straight on to the next one after strumming my chord, it took my score from 21 to 28 (single chords, not sets). Possibly this might be something others tend to do as well so I figured I'd post it.

Note that when Justin shows the exercise in his video, he also lifts his left fingers up straight after strumming.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App